Codex: Chaos Daemons

Last week's leak said Squats are the next Codex, right? Does not seem accurate GW is already showing off the cover art and a description of codex contents.

"There are more ways than ever to bend the mortal plane to your will, thanks to 56 datasheets split between the four Chaos Gods – and Be’lakor, with his very own Army of Renown – alongside 25 Warlord Traits, 24 Relics, 36 Stratagems, and a profane slate of psychic powers for all."

It officially confirmed 56 datasheets in the book, but if i counted correctly, daemons have 58 datasheets now. So some of them need to be deleted or merged, even assumed no new models. 

Wow! I might not be a fan of the overall codex philosophy of 9th edition (aside from crusade content), but a lot of the covers, especially the more recent ones, have been stellar! Most notable for me remains the Genestealer Cults cover, which was awesome (and such a contrast to the, uhm, lacklustre Custodes cover). But this and the CSM one have been also really great!

To be fair though, I also love the current Astartes illustrations, too. Many of those headshot artworks GW has used since 8th I like a lot. The covers of 8th edition though were not my cup of tea at all. 

4 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Last week's leak said Squats are the next Codex, right? Does not seem accurate GW is already showing off the cover art and a description of codex contents.

Which is kinda weird, since we would have expected IG to drop before a brand new faction, right? I mean, yeah, we know IG is due a range refresh and as such a bigger release, but logically speaking I'd say push those out first and satisfy your player base before luring them to another shiny object further down the road with the Leagues.

9 minutes ago, phandaal said:

The rules leaks probably forced their hand to announce it. We've not had a big rules dump for the Guard yet, but we had for Daemons.

Over on AoS, they announced Slaves To Darkness as being in Winter due to their big leak despite there still being another 4 Codexes Battletomes ahead of it.

Edited by Lord Marshal

The leaks are making the book sound fun, things have allegedly been shaken up. Really hope the skullmaster sticks around as an HQ choice.

edit: Oh didn’t realize he was still for sale, thought he too got the range rotation treatment. Nope! Well even more stoked.

Edited by Khornestar

1 hour ago, Blight1 said:

I see this as another nail in the coffin for those 10th ed roadmap rumors.  That guy didn't even mention daemons in his first post.

I was holding out but this does seem to be just too many misses in such a short time frame. 

Some stuff is likely to be accurate given it just repeated earlier rumours from significantly more reliable sources, but as a whole it seems to be entirely bunk. 

3 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

I only count 50 in the 8th ed book? 

I think it was said elsewhere that furies are gone, too. 

8th edition doesnt have any of the new slaanesh demons I think. Shelaxi hellbane, S'yleske, the epitomium (the daemonette mirror), infernal enrapturess and the new Slaanesh "greater daemon" twins ... that would add 6.

It'll be nice if they add rules for the twins.

The other Slaanesh Daemons (Enrapturess, S'yleske, and I think the Epitome) were in an 8th ed CA, but the twins were released later, and I don't think they even got WD rules for 40k.

No, the Twins never got 40K rules, and they probably never will honestly. That some of the datasheets could be consolidated.

It just feels like a huge financial liability to have a way to double the sales of high priced model and not take it. How many copies of the model do they have to sell to pay for two extra pages in the book?

Plus they get the added bonus of making it feel like there's more of a model release for the dex than there actually is. I literally cannot think of a reason who they would not give the twins 40k rules...

But then, there's traitor guard, which didn't make it into the SM dex (unless they come out as part of a campaign book, or with the guard- either in the dex or as a WD Index Article).

Guess we wait and see- if they are getting datacards, there's a good chance warcom will write about it.

Good-looking cover. Will be interesting to see when exactly it will drop and what the rules for summoning (or if there will even be summoning) will change to. Glad they at least acknowledged that they are doing a 9th ed daemons codex- we haven't really had any info on it at all.

It looks ok, could very much be true. But it feels a bit lack luster. I was expected more from the greater daemons. Hope we will soon what they can do. wonder when the codex will be released?

On 7/11/2022 at 8:34 AM, MANofWAR said:

I wonder if there will be a summoning rule in this codex, that lets the Chaos Space Marines book summon daemon if allies 

Maybe something by god keyword that allows a detachment to be included but wouldn't break faction rules? like new Chaos Knights?

From the same Discord server (the GSC one if anyone is interested, its the same place most of the 'Nid leaks dropped originally):

Daemonic Saves exist. They replace Invulns and have two characteristics one for shooting and one for melee. They cannot be modified or ignored in any way.

As mentioned in the screenshot, a GUO has a 4+ save vs shooting an a 5+ save vs Melee. It was also mentioned that a Lord of change has a 3+ vs Shooting and a 5+ vs Melee. They also seem to imply that these saves are the same across all followers of a God.

Hopefully the GUO doesn't go up that much in points, gained a couple wounds and a toughness with new 4++ for shooting but lost 5+++ for the less beneficial -1D with no extra target saturation from multiple GUO's (unless you bring other Detatchments) and still is just d6 on his strongest weapon (assuming rumors/leaks are true). I'm sure the codex will follow the creep pattern and be good regardless, I'm just curious how they will make greater daemons more viable and worthwhile with only one on the table. You can bring a captain and a chapter master (right?) in the same Detatchment, wonder if you can have a greater Daemon AND the named ones in the same Detatchment. Wouldn't make the most sense but I would buy a second GUO to make Rotigus, and GW does love making money, so very much.