Siege of Terra - Garro: Knight of Grey

Joe

9 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

As an avid collector of the SoT limited books, I do worry if we're going to be seeing a lot of bloat here. How many more surprise novella's will they add to the set?

Could mean nothing or could be a small clue/hint but in the warcom article it says 

but there are still a dozen stories to tell about this legendary conflict.

Can't say I'm a huge Garro fan, but that cover art is fantastic. Love the classical knight vs dragon vibe. Starting to think it was a good choice to wait to start the Seige series until now. I have multiple books to look forward to, and hopefully by the time I get to it I'll know when this one takes place

Well if is confirmed this is after Warhawk... then what a mess. We already know what happens to Mortarion, and if Garro actually dies as it could be, there's no reference to it in Warhawk, not even by his closest friends like Keeler or Loken. Is like "Oh, ok, it happened, let's move on", just like what happened with Malcador after Fury Of Magnus. I'll wait to read it, but I guess this will be another sync problem between authors as has happened before in the Siege series. 

22 minutes ago, Cerbero666 said:

Well if is confirmed this is after Warhawk... then what a mess. We already know what happens to Mortarion, and if Garro actually dies as it could be, there's no reference to it in Warhawk, not even by his closest friends like Keeler or Loken. Is like "Oh, ok, it happened, let's move on", just like what happened with Malcador after Fury Of Magnus. I'll wait to read it, but I guess this will be another sync problem between authors as has happened before in the Siege series. 

Indeed. It would have been better if Garro was in the final showndown in Warhawk, because now we have two options, and neither is good.

• He fights Mortarion before Warhawk: He must die because otherwise he would have joined the Khan for a rematch. But then nobody mentions him in that book, which is nonsense.
  • He fights Mortarion after Warhawk: Okay, he was busy elsewhere returning videotapes or something and missed the battle where Mortarion was banished.  So Mortarion comes back again from the warp after a few days/weeks?  This clashes with the plot point of Typhon taking command of the DG at the end of that book...

6 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Indeed. It would have been better if Garro was in the final showndown in Warhawk, because now we have two options, and neither is good.

• He fights Mortarion before Warhawk: He must die because otherwise he would have joined the Khan for a rematch. But then nobody mentions him in that book, which is nonsense.
  • He fights Mortarion after Warhawk: Okay, he was busy elsewhere returning videotapes or something and missed the battle where Mortarion was banished.  So Mortarion comes back again from the warp after a few days/weeks?  This clashes with the plot point of Typhon taking command of the DG at the end of that book...

Better if this wasnt written at all. One Marine vs a Primarch. Please GW, just stop.

4 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Better if this wasnt written at all. One Marine vs a Primarch. Please GW, just stop.

I think it would be worse if they didn't write this. A loyal Death Guard seeing what has become of his Legion, seeing how far they and their father have fallen, the way it would confirm to Garro that what he does is right, all the rich possibilities of writing a showdown between these two, an epic clash that's not about beating Mortarion, but standing against him once again as Garro did when he took the Eisenstein. There so much rich narrative and character material here it would be a waste not to do something with it. 

14 minutes ago, Trysanna said:

I think it would be worse if they didn't write this. A loyal Death Guard seeing what has become of his Legion, seeing how far they and their father have fallen, the way it would confirm to Garro that what he does is right, all the rich possibilities of writing a showdown between these two, an epic clash that's not about beating Mortarion, but standing against him once again as Garro did when he took the Eisenstein. There so much rich narrative and character material here it would be a waste not to do something with it. 

Its...a narrative already told is it not? I mean people clearly buy the story line, but its never been for me. Will this redeem the arc? Will this add to what should have been a tight series of novels?

Maybe for some, but not for me.

2 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Its...a narrative already told is it not? I mean people clearly buy the story line, but its never been for me. Will this redeem the arc? Will this add to what should have been a tight series of novels?

Maybe for some, but not for me.

I mean, most of it yes, but not this last climactic note. It's a chance to see the contrast between these two, see how far the son has come, how much he's changed from his old legion and his father. Maybe I'm just a sucker for children spitting in the face of their disappointing and awful parents. Can't say how it'll turn out, obviously, but there's no way I'd pass up the chance to do something, anything, with all that tension and 10 years of storytelling and bring it all home in a climactic moment.

4 minutes ago, Paturabo said:

I mean just look at the a Iron Hands Primarch

On the nose naming conventions don't count when it's in Latin, obviously :P

12 minutes ago, Trysanna said:

Can't say how it'll turn out, obviously, but there's no way I'd pass up the chance to do something, anything, with all that tension and 10 years of storytelling and bring it all home in a climactic moment.

Fair enough, I jumped ship off of most of the HH arcs a long time ago and had high hopes for the SoT to actually be what they said it would be.

1 hour ago, Trysanna said:

Garro could have just fought Typhus after Warhawk and still would have been an epic clash with the revenge background and brother vs brother thematic, the honor of the old legion, Barbarus Death Guard Vs Terran Death Guard, etc... Also Typhus was the first traitor of the legion, even before Mortarion, I guess Garro blames him as much as the primarch. Using Garro against Mortarion when we know he will probably die, and we already know Mortarion's fate, is anticlimatic tbh. 

Besides, if that death actually happens and is set before Warhawk would be absurd for his demise not having any emotional consequence in neither Keeler nor Loken, as they don't even mention it in Warhawk. But we already get that with Malcador's fate after Fury of Magnus, not mentioned at all in Mortis nor Warhawk. 

Edited by Cerbero666

13 minutes ago, Cerbero666 said:

Garro could have just fought Typhus after Warhawk and still would have been an epic clash with the revenge background and brother vs brother thematic, the honor of the old legion, Barbarus Death Guard Vs Terran Death Guard, etc... Also Typhus was the first traitor of the legion, even before Mortarion, I guess Garro blames him as much as the primarch. Using Garro against Mortarion when we know he will probably die, and we already know Mortarion's fate, is anticlimatic tbh. 

Besides, if that death actually happens and is set before Warhawk would be absurd for his demise not having any emotional consequence in neither Keeler nor Loken, as they don't even mention it in Warhawk. But we already get that with Malcador's fate after Fury of Magnus, not mentioned at all in Warhawk. 

Well I haven't read Warhawk, but either way Garro vs Mortation is what we have and it has potential to work well as a story moment, even if it's not what you wanted/would have done