Siege of Terra - Garro: Knight of Grey

Joe

1 hour ago, Trysanna said:

Well I haven't read Warhawk, but either way Garro vs Mortation is what we have and it has potential to work well as a story moment, even if it's not what you wanted/would have done

Oh, well you should, because it fixes all the flaws and sins perpetrated against Mortarion and the DG over the convoluted HH 'series'.

In Wraight we trust.

EDIT: Spam post.

Edited by Scribe

36 minutes ago, lansalt said:

Malcador is alive and well at the end of Fury of Magnus.

Yes, and he didn't even reflect about his obliteration and resurrection in any of the sequels as if it was nothing. Nor any mention of it in his conversation with the Big E. The Emperor actually cried when he thought about it in his mind conversation with Sureka, but later it felt like it was anecdotical. Garro's possible demise could be as bad planned if he dies in this novella and there's no mention of his sacrifice nor emotional consequence for his close ones in Warhawk.

I still believe this series is not as good planned as it should have been, with many authors going their own way and not interacting with each other as much as would be necessary to make a coherent aproach to the plotlines.

We got epic moments, awesome novels (I love Warhawk indeed), good character arcs. But as a whole, as a close series of novels and novellas about a concrete moment in time and place, it fails in many things that could've been solved with better communication and planification. 

Edited by Cerbero666

13 minutes ago, Scribe said:

Oh, well you should, because it fixes all the flaws and sins perpetrated against Mortarion and the DG over the convoluted HH 'series'.

In Wraight we trust.

EDIT: Spam post.

Funnily enough, I don't need flaws and sins against a character 'fixed', I just need a good story with interesting character, preferably some I can relate to, but please continue to misunderstand everything I had to say about Angron, I promise it's not annoying

42 minutes ago, Scribe said:

?

Did we discuss Angron? I don't remember, if so.

Apologies, I was mistaken. Your name and profile picture are incredibly similar to someone who also told me to read the books, but in a super dismissive way. My bad

Edited by Trysanna

18 hours ago, Trysanna said:

Funnily enough, I don't need flaws and sins against a character 'fixed', I just need a good story with interesting character, preferably some I can relate to, but please continue to misunderstand everything I had to say about Angron, I promise it's not annoying

Some people find consistent characterization/character arcs a necessity for a "good story" in a series. It's hard for them to think that the character is interesting when they're constantly thinking "but why are they acting this way?".

I personally felt like that on reading Perturabos portrayal in Lost and the Damned, coming off Solar War and Slaves to Darkness. If Scribe went from reading Daemonology and Path of Heaven to Buried Dagger, I'm sure the "but why" question popped up a lot, and I'm also sure that Warhawk helped transition the two takes on Mortarion and make the character interesting again.

Edited by SkimaskMohawk

1 hour ago, grailkeeper said:

If you'd told me a HH author's original work would become a New York Times best seller and asked me to guess which one, I'd never have guessed James Swallow. 

There was a bunch of them for a while, i suspect because of the series rather than any particular author. Then Black library brought sales in house or somesuch and eliminated most of their sales from counting towards the NYT Bestseller list meaning noone got them anymore :( 

4 hours ago, Morovir said:

And so the war between Wraight and Swallow for the fate of the Death Guard continues...

In all seriousness though, it'll be interesting to read the afterword for this one, and see when in was written in relation to Warhawk.

I was just re-reading Warhawk and thinking this exact thing, and then this book gets released and I am very confused and have no hopes whatsoever for it.

In an ideal world, all the connecting narratives would be developed at once and produced in a logical manner. However, I think the closest comparison I can come to would be something like the new Obi-Wan or the Marvel's live-action media. Some projects are slotted between others, in narrative chronology, but for production reasons or simply that the idea for the story wasn't developed until later they don't come out until later. There's always going to have be a suspension of disbelief, headcannon, or writing-magic (the hardest to achieve) to make up for why characters or a setting don't seem impacted what should have happened earlier.

None of the above is meant to excuse what might have been poor planning or what might be poor writing, but perhaps to temper future expectations if more of these "out-of-order: novellas pop up (and it seemed from the article that they would).

I think I've been following the Heresy too long, but I don't think stories like this, where a character we know survives faces off against a character we don't know the fate of, excite me as much as they used to. I also wonder if "Primarch vs Character X" is a little overdone at this point. But  to each their own, I hope it's an exciting read! Although I'm not thrilled about the whole "limited edition" thing at this point. I'm also not sure if I'd maybe have preferred an ending to Garro's story with a little more plot than "must fight big  scary Primarch dude", but hey, hopefully I'm wrong and it's a great book! Though TBH I  think  it would've been coolest had Garro's plot been wrapped up in an actual novel rather than a tie in novella, which are generally seen as a little more optional.

Edited by Calibanite Knight Angel

8 hours ago, Calibanite Knight Angel said:

I think I've been following the Heresy too long, but I don't think stories like this, where a character we know survives faces off against a character we don't know the fate of, excite me as much as they used to. I also wonder if "Primarch vs Character X" is a little overdone at this point. But  to each their own, I hope it's an exciting read! Although I'm not thrilled about the whole "limited edition" thing at this point. I'm also not sure if I'd maybe have preferred an ending to Garro's story with a little more plot than "must fight big  scary Primarch dude", but hey, hopefully I'm wrong and it's a great book! Though TBH I  think  it would've been coolest had Garro's plot been wrapped up in an actual novel rather than a tie in novella, which are generally seen as a little more optional.

Yeah, the fact that he faces off vs Morty is pretty discouraging, but I'm still gonna get the book.

Who knows. . . maybe he realizes discretion is the better part of valor and lives to fight another day in a battle he can actually win.

I'm keeping my expectations low for now to avoid being disappointed.

I've been thinking about it, and I think a large part of why I'm not that excited about it has to due with Mortation and Garro in contrast to Horus and Loken, and Angron and Mago. Loken was Horus's man, through and through. While he wasn't a facial Son of Horus, there was nothing otherwise to make him stand out from the other Cthonians. So when Horus falls and Loken stays loyal, there's real pathos. Along different lines, Mago was fighting for the soul of his legion against Angron's influence; again, pathos. Meanwhile, Garro just kind of goes along with it as Mortarion erases as much of the Dusk Raider culture as he can and replaces it with Barbarus. Garro even recognizes that he and Temeter are the odd men out among legion command and that they'd be replaced with Barbarans once they died. There isn't even the closeness between them that we see between some of the other primarchs and their Terran commanders. So when Mortarion goes traitor, when I read Flight of the Eisenstein, to me it seemed more like Garro was intellectually angry at Mortarion and really only emotionally angry because he knew the memory of the Dusk Raiders would go down with the traitorous Death Guard. That possible confrontation of a wanting show what the loyal 14th could do ended prematurely by having Malcador recruits Garro rather than Garro paint his armor grey, his arm red, and start taking heads.

• 5 months later...