Siege of Terra - Garro: Knight of Grey

Joe

Fully agreed there. It's even more frustrating when you take into account that in The Buried Dagger, Loken is shortlisted for becoming a founding Grey Knight, with his decision being a big deal in the book.... while Garro was simply told "not you" by Malcador. He did all that recruiting for "his" order and then was just told he wasn't going to be a part of it.

I honestly don't think Loken should have been brought back in the first place. I could accept him in Vengeful Spirit due to setup from the shorts, and it being a suicide mission. Him being a thorn in Horus's side and being a foil to Aximand after that i could buy, too. But having him return to Terra, get invited to be a Grey Knight, turn it down, get Oliton, confront Samus again, somehow developing implied psychic abilities by turning into a Giraffe, then slaughtering the Sons of Horus in Saturnine (with a completely anticlimactic end to Aximand)....

....and then also going on to look after Keeler, whose protection he tasked Garro with in Book 3 of the series, putting her in his hands and babysitting her (and Katsuhiro) while she's creating a skull-based cult, going right against his own beliefs while actually offering a good counterpoint to Garro's own brand of faith?

Loken has no real identity anymore. Garro does, but Loken is simply overloaded with stuff, to the point where he's buried under even under characters' arcs and expectations.

3 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

Fully agreed there. It's even more frustrating when you take into account that in The Buried Dagger, Loken is shortlisted for becoming a founding Grey Knight, with his decision being a big deal in the book.... while Garro was simply told "not you" by Malcador. He did all that recruiting for "his" order and then was just told he wasn't going to be a part of it.

I honestly don't think Loken should have been brought back in the first place. I could accept him in Vengeful Spirit due to setup from the shorts, and it being a suicide mission. Him being a thorn in Horus's side and being a foil to Aximand after that i could buy, too. But having him return to Terra, get invited to be a Grey Knight, turn it down, get Oliton, confront Samus again, somehow developing implied psychic abilities by turning into a Giraffe, then slaughtering the Sons of Horus in Saturnine (with a completely anticlimactic end to Aximand)....

....and then also going on to look after Keeler, whose protection he tasked Garro with in Book 3 of the series, putting her in his hands and babysitting her (and Katsuhiro) while she's creating a skull-based cult, going right against his own beliefs while actually offering a good counterpoint to Garro's own brand of faith?

Loken has no real identity anymore. Garro does, but Loken is simply overloaded with stuff, to the point where he's buried under even under characters' arcs and expectations.

I wonder if the Garro novella was a late addition to the series, and that his storyline had to be hastily re-planned post book 3 to accommodate its shoehorning in?  I can’t remember there being any explanation as to why Garro doesn’t stay with Keeler.

It’s noticeable that there has been very little hype from GW around this book too.  Usually they make somewhat of an effort to promote a new Siege book, even a novella. 

On 1/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, Urauloth said:

There's a whole daemon who exists purely to patch up how badly Swallow has handled the Death Guard in the past, so having him bury another dagger in the legion at this point doesn't seem like it can have any good outcomes at all.

I’m out of the loop. Could you explain this?

He means 'The Remnant' from 'SoT - Warhawk'

Spoiler

The Remnant explains to Caipha Morarg (Equerry to Mortarion) that the actions that lead to Mortarions and the Death Guards fall to Chaos (Nurgle) were all intended by Mortarion.

Yeah between Death Guard and the wonderful job he did with Sanguinius story line in Fear to Tread its a wonder they let him anywhere near the siege, tho they at least had the sense to keep him to the side stories. 

I am finding it hard to hype myself up for this, very curious to see how quickly it sells out and its resale value. 

=][=

Everyone is of course allowed to have their own opinions about topics, other members, etc..

However, we will not tolerate that certain people are targeted for the sake of entertainment. 

Even if you personaly disagree with them, everyone has the right to be treated and met with respect and acceptance.

If there is a need to talk about this, you can contact us via the pm system.

=][=

17 hours ago, Tolmeus said:

He means 'The Remnant' from 'SoT - Warhawk'

Reveal hidden contents

The Remnant explains to Caipha Morarg (Equerry to Mortarion) that the actions that lead to Mortarions and the Death Guards fall to Chaos (Nurgle) were all intended by Mortarion.

That was an unneccessary attempt by Wraight to further change the older Death Guard background, to absolutely no improvement thematically. It wasn't like Wraight having to fix McNeil showing him go full Chaos Sorcery out of nowhere. He did that well, but there was no reason to take it any further than showing us Mortarion's bumbling, self-deluded attempts at learning more about Chaos in Daemonology. I get that some didn't like Mortarion being duped, but going down a "he knew all along and actually did it to make them stronger" route (even if Wraight is mildly ambiguous about it) as a potential fix was just stupid. It only makes Mortarion seem even more of an idiotic hypocrite. If Nick Kyme had introduced something like that, odds are it would be a meme laughing stock by now.

Even though i thought the details/characterisation in Swallow's depiction of the stranded fleet were often lacklustre and rushed, he at least got it right in a broadly thematic sense, with the end of the book really capturing the layering of Necare/barbarus, the emperor and Nurgle. The feeling of constant insidious manipulation and the bleak inevitability in it all was palpable.

On 1/8/2023 at 10:10 AM, Axineton said:

Looks nice this limited edition book.

Doubt I’ll have the dexterity to get it in the checkout and actually in my hands with the scalpers on the prowl though. 

Do we have a release date/time for the Limited Edition? I haven't been able to find any explicit information onit.

6 hours ago, Fedor said:

That was an unneccessary attempt by Wraight to further change the older Death Guard background, to absolutely no improvement thematically. It wasn't like Wraight having to fix McNeil showing him go full Chaos Sorcery out of nowhere. He did that well, but there was no reason to take it any further than showing us Mortarion's bumbling, self-deluded attempts at learning more about Chaos in Daemonology. I get that some didn't like Mortarion being duped, but going down a "he knew all along and actually did it to make them stronger" route (even if Wraight is mildly ambiguous about it) as a potential fix was just stupid. It only makes Mortarion seem even more of an idiotic hypocrite. If Nick Kyme had introduced something like that, odds are it would be a meme laughing stock by now.

Even though i thought the details/characterisation in Swallow's depiction of the stranded fleet were often lacklustre and rushed, he at least got it right in a broadly thematic sense, with the end of the book really capturing the layering of Necare/barbarus, the emperor and Nurgle. The feeling of constant insidious manipulation and the bleak inevitability in it all was palpable.

Wasn't he always a hypocrite? He shares certain similarities with Russ

On 1/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, Kastor Krieg said:

What's the page count on this one? The hardback price I'm getting from my reseller is similar to the really thick Siege of Terra hardbacks like Echoes of Eternity (80 vs 90 PLN for Echoes), yet the Limited Edition render seems to indicate it's really thin?

Looks very short if the Amazon description is right, which it might not be. 

https://www.amazon.com/Garro-Knight-Grey-Horus-Heresy/dp/1800262078/ref=sr_1_18?Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.x=38&Adv-Srch-Books-Submit.y=2&qid=1673604913&refinements=p_30%3Agames+workshop&s=books&sr=1-18&unfiltered=1

Just now, aa.logan said:

I got a copy to maintain my collection, but it’s the least I’ve been stressed about getting a BL limited book that I can recall.

Aaaand it's gone since 10.59 in Europe. Was able to snatch a copy at 10.55... In terms of stress: I absolutely agree with you. Just goes to show how small the incentive is for this one. Not sure if I would have paid an arm and a leg for the novel on Ebay. 

And it's already gone, that's absolutely nuts. 

I wasn't too bothered about all if I missed this one, but I'm glad I did to keep the collection going. 

Can't help but feel like "The End And The Death" is gonna break that streak, but oh well 

12 minutes ago, Odd-ad said:

Can't help but feel like "The End And The Death" is gonna break that streak, but oh well 

Volume 1 will be something to watch. More so the following volumes. The salt mines are going to be working over time and it's gonna be fun reading all the rage posts. Sadly GW/BL won't learn anything from it though...

Yeah, the other novellas were the same price - it's just the comparison between the novellas and the main series in terms of price and book length.

Knight of Grey - £40* for 144 pages (3.6 pages / £)

Echoes of Eternity - £50* for 560 pages (11.2 pages / £)

Warhawk - £50* for 400 pages (8 pages / £)

Fury of Magnus - £40* for 226 pages (5.65 pages / £)

Sons of the Selenar - £40* for 192 pages (4.8 pages / £)

*Prices are Limited Edition prices (i.e. the price that I paid)

Even when compared to the other novellas, this one is light in terms of page length. 144 pages, which I presume also includes the mentioned afterword.

1 hour ago, theSpirea said:

Not sure what you mean, sold out as quickly as the previous two SoT novellas.

Yeah I thought I got one without too much fuss there but it sold out while I was validating PayPal, or they hadn't bothered updating the store to show it was sold out.

So didn't get one, but not really bothered too much.

4 hours ago, m_r_parker said:

Yeah, the other novellas were the same price - it's just the comparison between the novellas and the main series in terms of price and book length.

Knight of Grey - £40* for 144 pages (3.6 pages / £)

Echoes of Eternity - £50* for 560 pages (11.2 pages / £)

Warhawk - £50* for 400 pages (8 pages / £)

Fury of Magnus - £40* for 226 pages (5.65 pages / £)

Sons of the Selenar - £40* for 192 pages (4.8 pages / £)

*Prices are Limited Edition prices (i.e. the price that I paid)

Even when compared to the other novellas, this one is light in terms of page length. 144 pages, which I presume also includes the mentioned afterword.

And that's exactly why I was inquiring after page count. Only 144 pages and all of them from Swallow? Feth that noise.