New player wanting to start playing games with my collection, in need of some advice.

Zen90

Hi everyone,

I'm a new (ish) 40k player who actually got started a couple of years ago with the Indomitus box as my first purchase. I ended up selling the Marine side of the box and picked up the Eradication Legion Battleforce a couple of Christmases ago. I then moved house and subscribed to Imperium magazine but quickly realised I had no one around who was interested in actually playing a game with me. This, coupled with the inconsistent dispatch dates of Imperium saw me cancel my subscription.

Now, whilst the situation with not really having an opponent hasn't changed much, I would at least like to get back to working on the army so that if I do find a group, I'll be in a position to start playing.

As it stands, I have the following models painted and ready:

1x Overlord with Hyperphase Glaive
1x Plasmancer
1x Royal Warden
2x Cryptothralls
10x Warriors with Gauss Flayers
10x Warriors with Gauss Reapers
3x Skorpekh Destroyers (plus the Plasmacyte)
6x Scarab Swarms

Unbuilt, I have as follows:

1x Overlord with Res. Orb
2x Technomancer on Canoptek Cloak
1x Royal Warden
1x Skorpekh Lord
20x Warriors
15x Immortals/Deathmarks
5x Flayed Ones
5x Lychguard/Praetorians
3x Skorpekh Destroyers
3x (I think) Scarab Swarms)
2x Canoptek Spyders
1x Canoptek Reanimator
1x Night/Doom Scythe
1x Triarch Stalker

I'm just wondering what I should build from the Immortals & Lychguard kits. I'm thinking maybe 10x Immortals with Gauss Blasters and 5 Deathmarks, and then 5 Lychguard with shields from the Lychguard kit?

Are there any must have units/purchases missing from my collection?

What units would you say are the staples I should build around for a beginner 1000 point list?

And what FAQ's/documents do I need for points updates etc?

Thanks everyone,

Zen90

Welcome!

I definitely think Immortals have a value right now Deathmarks don't, I would recommend at least 10 of them be Immortals. And Gauss is more useful generally than Tesla at the moment.

Lychguard with shields are a very durable unit to sit on an objective or just get in someone's way.

Destroyers are, generally, what works best for our army in my experience. Skorpekhs are amazing with the -1 to be wounded stratagem, but I still like my Ophydians too and Lokhusts have been good for awhile.

You need the Balance Dataslate (search WHC and it'll come up) which has the complete changes to Necrons. The points are in the Munitorum Field Manual, also for free on WHC. The way to make Necrons work right now is to pick one command protocol to be active all game and build a list to maximize that effect, in my opinion. So the best place to start is how you want to play the army.