43% win rate can we count as gatekeepers?

We can count as gatekeepers because Guard is a popular faction and reliably shows up at tournaments. Which doesn’t matter competitively if Guard are easily steamrolled by anyone, but now that our tanks are more durable and our firepower is significantly buffed then you have to have a list capable of defeating Guard if you want to go undefeated at a tournament.

7 minutes ago, Diagramdude said:

We can count as gatekeepers because Guard is a popular faction and reliably shows up at tournaments. Which doesn’t matter competitively if Guard are easily steamrolled by anyone, but now that our tanks are more durable and our firepower is significantly buffed then you have to have a list capable of defeating Guard if you want to go undefeated at a tournament.

That can be said of a faction with a 3% win rate though.

if you can’t beat that, then you’re not ready yet.

On 7/22/2022 at 12:33 AM, Diagramdude said:

Inquisitor_lensoven I’m curious what your concept of a gatekeeper list is or whether you’re intentionally trolling. I wrote why guard can be considered a gatekeeper and you said the same can be said of a 3% win rate faction. I don’t think we are on the same planet.

Everything you said can also be said about a faction with a 3% win rate.

personally I have a hard time saying. An army under a 50% win rate isn’t really a gate keeper.

a loss to guard could easily just be a result of bad roles for you and good roles for them.

On 7/25/2022 at 8:41 AM, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Everything you said can also be said about a faction with a 3% win rate.

personally I have a hard time saying. An army under a 50% win rate isn’t really a gate keeper.

a loss to guard could easily just be a result of bad roles for you and good roles for them.

A gatekeeper is a term that largely applies to (and I think originates in) boxing. It means a tough, capable and dangerous opponent that is a level below the actual elites / contenders of the weight division. If you can't beat the gatekeeper then you can't be considered capable of competing with the real talent in the division. 

Hence why somebody with a 3% win rate could not possibly be considered a gatekeeper. 

3 hours ago, Son of Sacrifice said:

A gatekeeper is a term that largely applies to (and I think originates in) boxing. It means a tough, capable and dangerous opponent that is a level below the actual elites / contenders of the weight division. If you can't beat the gatekeeper then you can't be considered capable of competing with the real talent in the division. 

Hence why somebody with a 3% win rate could not possibly be considered a gatekeeper. 

If you can’t beat the 3% win rage guy you’re not ready to compete against the real talent.

I think all this thread highlights is how weirdly irrelevant this topic is for our army. :sweat:

What does it even matter if Guard is a gatekeeper army or not? What does it change for Guard or not? And what type of army list? It's not like with Knights, the obvious gatekeepes, where you know it's going to be one of 2 or 3 types of model combinations, there's tons of things you can bring in a Guard list. Are we talking about tank spam? Infantry spam? Mech lists, artillery? Waves of bullgryns or all the the cheap psykers?

Isn't the original 'Gatekeeping' army Marines? They're the take all comers list that if you turn up to a tournament and can't deal with them you'll have a bad time.

I honestly don't think Guard should be classed as that - I play guard, and I really have to skew a list if I want psychic or melee. Being not great at 2 phases of the game really doesn't shout "take all comer" to me.