Wasteland Vehicle Workshop Event (New Deadline 30. October)

Antarius

large.978011153_VehicleWorkshopPagetoppe

Wasteland Vehicle Workshop

With the release of Ash Wastes, everybody's (hopefully) chomping at the bit to build all sorts of crazy post-apocalyptic vehicles (or even just some bog-standard, perfectly ordinary post-apocalyptic vehicles...) and go raring off across the blasted hellscapes of Necromunda.

Inspired by Slave to Darkness' great idea with the Sumpheap Scrap event, I thought it would be cool to do a similar event, so we can all motivate and inspire each other to create the coolest vehicles possible. That being said, it's all about getting some hobbying done, so if you're more comfortable doing one of the standard vehicles from the Ash Wastes/Book of the Outlands that's cool too.

So, I hear you cry, what are we supposed to do? What are the rules?

Well, they're quite straightforward:

You pledge to build and paint a vehicle from the 1st of August to the 30th of October. Scratchbuilding and converting is highly encouraged, but not strictly necessary.
If you complete your pledge you are awarded the title of "Road Warrior" and nigh-infitine bragging rights.

You may pledge again, once your first pledge is done, and upon completion of a second pledge you will be awarded the title "Furious Roadster" as well as infinite bragging rights.

Should two or more Frater wish to join forces and create a larger project together, they may do so, in which case they will be awarded the joint title "Mad Mechs" as well as a place in the legends of the wastelands, not to mention our hearts – after all the real shambling metal juggernaut was the friends we made along the way.

How you manage your projects, cooperative or otherwise, is up to you but I hope you will all involve the forum in your work process, as it will be inspiring and fun for all concerned. So, while there is no strict requirement, do show us your wip pics and thoughts :)

While the official starting date is August 1st, you're of course free to gather up your materials and start posting about your mad ideas before the event kicks off – in fact, the more we can inspire each other during the lead-up, the better!

I'm still in the process of getting banners and badges done (I've never done this kind of thing before, so I'm leaning on Grotsmasha for help). They will show up eventually though, so please be patient with me :)

Edited by Antarius

So far, I'm not sure what I'll be doing myself. I've got some different vehicle kits lying around, as well as a bunch of 3d printed wheels, tracks and gubbins that a friend of mine made for me.

I'm curious to hear your ideas - including suggestions for what I could do :)

The Start of my Ash Rig....hopefully this will work.....

The soon to be hull of the Ash Rig....

52247004574_be99949a50_z.jpg 

The lay rough layout...

52246732363_59e320b53f_z.jpg 

Checking the size against a Cargo-8

52246732358_25ac7a3868_z.jpg 

Every Rig needs a steering wheel...

52246718846_140110151f_z.jpgAsh rig 1 

Edited by Castigator

Annoyingly all my vehicles are part built, and my hobby budget next month has already been blown on Gorillaz tickets for me and the missus, so Ill be jumping in later in the comp when I have some funds to at some some tank kits. I have ideas for a Sd.Kfz. 251 and a Bren Carrier but I dont wanna start ripping apart my Guard transports to make them lol

++EDIT++

Would three unfinished vehicles count as one built from scratch?? ;) 

Edited by Slave to Darkness
Because Im pretty!! Pretty stupid.

9 minutes ago, Antarius said:

You can always sell the tickets :banana:

I’m not sure how much your question is a joke? If all you’ve got are unfinished vehicles, maybe we can talk about what you could do with them? The point is to get some vehicle coolness going, so the rules are fairly loose.

Tickets stay, I like my legs lol

This is how far I have gotten with the other vehicles, smaller halftrack needs a cab building and the back end finished, the larger one needs tracks and a few other bits, bike needs weapons and a few other bits but not read the rulebooks so dont know what my optrions are atm for bikers. 

med_gallery_75911_13630_569744.jpg

Just worked out how much it will cost me to use Tamiya Halftracks and 3d printed turrets for my guard, would be cheaper if I buy the 3d printed ones Commissar Roach uses for his guard, so I have a partially built (but un necromunderd) vehicle to use. Hell if I can Ill just vow the lot as a single entry, that would give me the kick up the rear to actually finish everything as my output gets better when I enter challenges. I paint more during ETL's and the Call of Chaos events than I do normally, even though those competitions are stressful and mess with my anxiety and depression if I fall behind. Worth it though when I step back and look at actual finished minis than tons of half finished projects. 

++EDIT++

Better picture of what I have to work with, so you can see better without all the minis on top of them. 

2022-07-30 21.10.13.jpg

added imge

On 7/30/2022 at 3:36 PM, Slave to Darkness said:

bike needs weapons and a few other bits but not read the rulebooks so dont know what my optrions are atm for bikers. 

Bikers are just Dirtbikes. Dirtbikes are wargear that have the mounted characteristic and increase the riders movement to 8". At the arbitrators discretion (so that's a yes) a Dirtbike may add one area upgrade taken from the Vehicle Upgrades section (so one Body, one Drive and/or one Engine area). A Dirtbike cannot add a Weapon Hardpoint so any weapon will be carried by the rider.

7 hours ago, Castigator said:

Bikers are just Dirtbikes. Dirtbikes are wargear that have the mounted characteristic and increase the riders movement to 8". At the arbitrators discretion (so that's a yes) a Dirtbike may add one area upgrade taken from the Vehicle Upgrades section (so one Body, one Drive and/or one Engine area). A Dirtbike cannot add a Weapon Hardpoint so any weapon will be carried by the rider.

Ahh cheers, gonna be much easier having the rider carry the weapon than trynna bolt it onto the vehicle and look realistic. 

Ok. So, at least in theory, we're off to the races now :)

I'm still in the brainstorming phase, but I'm pledging a "heavy vehicle" of some sort. Ideally it will be both generic and with lots of character, which is probably a difficult balancing act, but I don't know what gang I'll be using and it would be nice to have a vehicle that can be used for pretty much any gang, as well as NPCs for scenarios and so on...

Edited by Antarius

That's exactly the path I'm taking Antarius. I'm building a heavy vehicle (An Ash Rig which will be roughly the size of a Cargo-8) that will be mainly used as a NPC or objective....at least until I build an Outcast pirate band to go with it :wink:.

The world is (or rules are) our oyster, so it'd be daft not to explore it.

3 hours ago, Castigator said:

That's exactly the path I'm taking Antarius. I'm building a heavy vehicle (An Ash Rig which will be roughly the size of a Cargo-8) that will be mainly used as a NPC or objective....at least until I build an Outcast pirate band to go with it :wink:.

The world is (or rules are) our oyster, so it'd be daft not to explore it.

Pirates you say? As in stripy pants and servo parrots?? 

I guess pirates on Necromunda would wear hazard striped trousers?!? :pirate:

Aaaanyway, it looks great so far, Castigator. Really looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

I’m afraid I don’t have a good source for piratey heads, unless you can somehow get a hold of the old militia box for WFB - and those heads might actually be quite humongous due to the limitations of plastic molds back in the day and a more “heroic scale”.

The old empire flagellants box for WFB might also be a good set of piratey heads, if you are looking for big beards.

As for any size difference, I don't think that would be too noticeable - I've used WFB heads with cadian models, and they look fine - and current necromunda figures tend to be larger than the old WHB figures were, which will reduce any size discrepancy.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

7 hours ago, Castigator said:

More stripes than an....err.....really stripy thing :blush:

I'm struggling to find any suitably piratey  heads that aren't Orks or Dwarves, so if anybody knows where I can locate some human pirate heads I'd be much obliged.

Ghost Archipelago Crewmen, plastic boxset. 

Crewmen

https://www.northstarfigures.com/list.php?man=254&cat=614&page=1

Pirate Conversion Set.

Crewmen Pirate Conversion Pack

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14399

Everything else I seem to be finding is either one piece sculpts that will be hard to behead, Orky stuff and even Somalian Pirate minis, dont think they will be of use to you though. 

Words big, brain small.

I should get started tomorrow, as I have a couple of hours for crafting and general hobby stuff. I also need to convert an ogre for my blood bowl team but even if that takes up most of my time, I should be able to start some brainstorming and picking out parts, at least :)

Blimey! I need to get a wiggle on. The basic structure is built, just those details that take an annoying amount of time....

52269408560_86e41a24a8_z.jpg

52268922301_056bdaf20d_z.jpg

52267960947_9fa4b236a6_z.jpg

52268922941_5038513691_z.jpg

52268923636_4b26bcd911_z.jpg

52268924241_99f4e4ec83_z.jpg

She's turned out a little bigger than I planned but hey, I like her.

Edited by Castigator