Infantry Squad Upgrade Question

dees

3 hours ago, dees said:

Hello Everyone,

It seems to me that a lot of IG players are not putting heavy weapons in their infantry squads.  Because they are free I don't see a downside to taking them.  I would like to know your thoughts on why not taking them is helpful. And don't have a good day,  have a great day.  

Some people see the -1 to hit on the heavy weapon after moving as a negative.

I don’t see it that way, I’ll trade a harder hitting weapon with a 16% lower chance to hit over a lasgun hitting at normal BS.

Thanks for the incites friends. I hadn't thought about the model count being one less TBH.  I think I'll be taking them until they are no longer free as well.  I play Cadia mostly, but even if I was playing a more aggressive movement list I'd still miss the long range heavy shots IMO.    

And can't the HWT shoot their lasguns even it they shoot the heavy weapon? 

I run my squads all with lascannons (I tried other weapon systems but found you need the armour penetration against AoC). I then run a mixture of plasma and melta - plasma on the squads that are further back defending the armour as they need the range, then melta on the squads assaulting. 

im running at least two command squads for the secondaries and run them with mortars because I like to keep them hidden in cover and the mortar is the only system that can indirect fire. 

The heavy weapon team only has one lasgun between the two operators so you lose out one lasgun worth of shooting. Worth it IMO.

Also the large base of the HWT is great for melee because you can get the HWT in engagement range then get everyone else in the squad easily within 0.5” of the big base so they all can swing

6 hours ago, Diagramdude said:

The heavy weapon team only has one lasgun between the two operators so you lose out one lasgun worth of shooting. Worth it IMO.

Also the large base of the HWT is great for melee because you can get the HWT in engagement range then get everyone else in the squad easily within 0.5” of the big base so they all can swing

Let’s face it though, getting your troopers into melee isn’t particularly an ideal situation lol

8 minutes ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

Let’s face it though, getting your troopers into melee isn’t particularly an ideal situation lol

It’s a great tactical decision - block them getting to a high value target like a tank commander for a turn or two (throw another squad in there to guarantee it) then fall back from combat next turn and let the tank do its job

A agree with you Diagramdude, I typically wrap my squad around the HWT base unless they're in cover or on terrain that prohibits it.  It makes them almost impossible to get pinned in combat so you can always back out. 

Inquisitor_Lensoven you are right that its not ideal for the infantry to be in combat, but I unfortunately end up there in all most all games lol

Most of the time when I’m charging with my infantry I am trying to get extra movement to pile in and consolidate onto an objective or turn off an enemy shooter. There are some enemies it’s an absolutely terrible idea to charge but there are a lot of enemy units and situations you gain a huge advantage by charging your infantry.