Major editing goof between Horus Rising and Flight of the Eisenstein

This is probably old news, but I've been going back and doing audio versions of the Horus Heresy novels and I', just about finished with book 4 Flight of the Eisenstein and I found a big editing goof between book 1 and book 4.

SPOILERS

Spoiler

Towards the end of Flight of the Eisenstein, Garro is talking to Dorn and mentions Garviel Loken, and Dorn acts as if he doesn't know him and immediately asks Sigismuind his opinion on Loken. I was like :cuss:? In Horus Rising its revealed that Dorn and Loken have spoken many times and Dorn was the one that recommended him for Mournival placement in Sejanus's vacant spot. I'm sure this is old news but I was surprised a goof like this made it past editing?!?!?!

20 hours ago, Noserenda said:

That or the character in question is just lying to get an unbiased opinion from the other character.

Or it's James Swallow writing in a Black Library environment that had little cohesive plan beyond the particular novel that is being written. I can't imagine a worse place to work as a writer than on contract for an early to mid 2000s Black Library. Hell it was so dysfunctional it drove a few good authors away. Also there was no editing or proof reading back then or if there was it was minimal. 

Dorn seems to have bad memory, as he "forgot" to tell the other loyalist primarchs during the Siege that Vulkan was in Terra, only to be retconned later as him lying for "security reasons". There are several continuity mistakes like that in the series.

Partly continuity and partly needs of the plot. If it had been someone he trusted he wouldn’t have had the sperg out result nor the need for Keeler to intervene. 
The later may be setting up something with Dorn since the touch of saints tends to attract self sacrificing dooms. 

On 8/11/2022 at 12:46 AM, 63-19 said:

The biggest goof is the cover. Probably the most nonsensical cover of any hh book. Even worse than horus rising and false gods. 

What? The cover of Flight of the Eisenstein? I quite like that cover with the astartes with the powered up power fist front and center. Sure, it's only related in Death Guard and Nurgle daemons being on the cover and in the book. But on the other hand that goes for several covers in the heresy series. The cover itself is glorious, from what I remember. :) 

(Of course that's just my personal opinion and you are absolutely entitled to your own. ;) )

5 hours ago, KJB said:

That’s nothing, in Horus Rising, Sanguinius had black hair…

That was just his emo phase...surely the Primarchs are allowed to dye their hair, grow some moustaches or tear some bodies apart for decoration  purposes. Teen stuff, eh? :rolleyes:

Edited by Kelborn

On 8/15/2022 at 4:55 AM, Kenzaburo said:

What? The cover of Flight of the Eisenstein? I quite like that cover with the astartes with the powered up power fist front and center. Sure, it's only related in Death Guard and Nurgle daemons being on the cover and in the book. But on the other hand that goes for several covers in the heresy series. The cover itself is glorious, from what I remember. :) 

(Of course that's just my personal opinion and you are absolutely entitled to your own. ;) )

A lot of the covers have loose connections with the story but I always thought Flight of the Eisenstein had the most small connection to the story. The cover presumably takes place on isstvan 3 and theres a massive nurgle demon invasion with death guard and imperial fists on the cover. That sounds okay until you realize nothing nurgle related was on isstvan 3, or the imperial fists for that matter too. Eisenstein is the only cover that shows something that doesn't happen at all in the book and "lies". All of the other cover arts I could plausibly see happening within their story. I also think it looks fine artistically, and probably came off a little bit too irritated in my initial comment. I don't actually care that much.

• 3 weeks later...

Tbh, I kind of impose headcanon over large chunks of the early Heresy stuff after Horus Rising, but that's most pronounced with this book. It particularly bothered me that the Death Guard themselves seemed such a small Legion - at least with the Luna Wolves you had a handful of captains outside the Mournival.