Any advice for facing 2k points of tau?

happyslugger

Well I'm aiming to face off against my son's Tau this weekend.

He will likely bring a coldstar, some crisis suits, a ghostkeel, stealth suits, two riptides and a broadside or two.

I was planning on taking the dark master, a bloodthrister and GUO as HQ, a couple of bloodletter units and plaguebearers to sit on backfield and some doggos and bloodcrushers to try and rush up one side and two skull canons.

I've just been looking at some of the weapons available to tau and think I may be in for a rough time of it..

Anyone faced off against a tau list recently?  He's likely to play defensively knowing him :-/ try and wipe out units and score later on..

I've player Tau once with pure khorne and it was the only match I won in a 3 game tournament so I don't know if you need to worry about anything.

I had 2 units of 4 bloodcrushers, 3 skull cannons, 2 units of 5 hounds, 3 bloodletter units, 1 skull throne and 2 non-upgraded bloodthisters.

If you can melee kill most of the battlesuits with deepstrike charges before he gets the ability to fall back and shoot you've already won.

Use the dogs to clear out the stealth suits and keep the bloodletters in deep strike to counter the battlesuits. Dogs can move through breachable terrain as beasts but bloodcrushers can't so need to deepstrike or be limited to a distraction role since they're super fragile. Great unclean one and skull cannons will be enough to hold back lines but mostly just take fire.

Never leave bloodletters on the back field, flesh hounds are better at it to be honest since they're the smallest footprint khorne unit and can hide. Daemons are so good at deep strike charging you can ignore move stats until turn 4.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Probably drop the nurgle if you can.  A GUO just doesn't have the durability to stand up to concentrated firepower.  Plaguebearers are a similar issue.  Horrors are actually  a better backfield objective holder at least to shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

As it turned out, there was little to worry about.

Once I hit their lines it was a white wash and they didn't have the firepower to take out the greater daemons prior to that.  To be fair to him, he hasn't played in a while and set up too defensively.  I think the new saves and T8/T9 really helps them now.

Edited by happyslugger

I totally agree. I faced a Imperial guard army with lot of shooting but with our new saves I could take the storm and when in CC it was over for him. Good to hear that it works similiar with tau as they are even more scary in shooting.