Imperial Guard Rogal Dorn Battle Tank

Looks great, but...

"Its turret mounts either two full-size battle cannons, or an enormous oppressor cannon. The latter in particular is a devastating anti-armour powerhouse, capable of knocking out almost anything up to a Chaos Knight in a single salvo"

Like we need more weapons to invalidate any kind of armoured vehicles...

I like that imperial guard tank design has advanced all the way from WW1 to at least the early 1930s.

Fluff wise is this a new tank (cawl style or stc recovery) or has it always been around and no body mentioned it? Wonder why it was named after Dorn? What's the current fluff justification for the Russ being called after Leman?

Edited by grailkeeper

Ah, yes. A pintle mounted stubber for a completely exposed gunner, long enough and far enough in the back of the turret that it's the easiest thing for him to headshot both the gunner and TC with a barely 10-15 degree swivel of the gun.

40k, never change xD

The Slowest hobbyist Around on Twitter: "@Kabooski01 @TheOneBenBailey Wow,  this looks freaking great. Always kinda liked the DD aesthetic and you've  pulled it off really damn well here. Never thought about marines/40k

Edited by Kastor Krieg

This is a very silly tank, entirely in keeping with the rest of the IG's very silly tanks. If I played IG, or 40k at all really, I'd be quite chuffed with this. It would look awesome in Caunter, possibly in weird alien planet colours.

Design-wise I think it feels like a small Baneblade more than a big Leman Russ, if that makes sense. The track design is mostly Baneblade. I do appreciate how they've borrowed bits of design from tons of tanks around the WW2 era. I'm currently doing quite well in a Bolt Action tournament using a M3 Stuart with fixed forward-facing machine guns - useless in reality but cool on the tabletop.

At first I was like "DAMN THAT'S HIDEOUS". 
Then I came to accept it I guess. 

Its like a matilda, a pershing and a T-34 had an orgy on V day... 

Honestly its a little busy for me, but I think it might be all the guns and the paint job is terrible to say the least. 

But I may add 1 or 2 to my IG forces. I suspect it will look a lot better with a more realistic and weathered paint job. 

35 minutes ago, Kastor Krieg said:

Ah, yes. A pintle mounted stubber for a completely exposed gunner, long enough and far enough in the back of the turret that it's the easiest thing for him to headshot both the gunner and TC with a barely 10-15 degree swivel of the gun.

It's inspired by the Sherman and Stuart tanks, where the machine gunner would stand on the back of the tank, 40k in such a way that it doesn't make sense anymore.

14 minutes ago, ST.Lazarus said:

It's inspired by the Sherman and Stuart tanks, where the machine gunner would stand on the back of the tank, 40k in such a way that it doesn't make sense anymore.

I'm pretty sure you used to be able to fire the 76mm gun from inside the Sherman, back in the day. Wimps!

Think it’s an example of GWs newer approach to Imperial vehicles - stubbers, ball turrets, co-axial weapons, more ‘practical’ stylings etc - working without looking completely out of place. Unlike some of the Primaris grav-tanks. 

Looks like some really nice stowage are well.

That said, is does suffer from comparisons to the Macharius. But then the Macharius is arguably the best looking Guard tank ever produced. 

I really like it, the hull guns and sponsons bother me but guess what 100% optional!!! Something the forgeworld designers could apparently learn from, the world is fully upside down now. :D 

Cant lie, id love a Macharius or even a malcador but his beauty absolutely works on their own.

Edited by Noserenda

Consider me whelmed. I don’t think it fits with the existing range, and just doesn’t float my boat. One less thing to buy is always OK! Just like demons, all I need is the codex.

Are people saying Matilda solely because of the three ports in the side armor of the track…?  Nothing else about it really seems to resemble the Matilda otherwise to me.

It’s an interesting tank - if that size comparison is right, much bigger than the Russ.  It does look better without the extra lower stubbers/meltas.  I also wonder if you could switch the exterior crew fired stubber on the turret to the pintle mount on the crew hatch at the front of the turret.

Glad to have been wrong about the destroyed tank in the background of the IG reveal being a potential scratch/non-GW kit conversion.

24 minutes ago, Bryan Blaire said:

Are people saying Matilda solely because of the three ports in the side armor of the track…?  Nothing else about it really seems to resemble the Matilda otherwise to me.

The Matilda also has the front end bit that, although it doesn't have any gun ports in real life, look very similar to the Rogal :

image.thumb.png.8675c1a4b930264a9f1602680ba43a30.png

I think the point of the matilda comment is that it looks more like ww2 era tanks than any DIRECT comparison to existing tanks. Much like how the Predator/Rhino looks vaguely like an M113 but obviously isn't the same tank.

Caveat: been a while since I've seen a Leman Russ. I couldn't tell you, off the top of my head, the difference between the Dorn and the Russ silhouettes other than maybe it's bigger and it has different weapon options.