DBH's 3k RG Sneaky Tankies

Dont-Be-Haten

Been writing up lists and play testing several different options. Grabbed some Deredeos this week and looking to put them to good use. Here's a fun list I've been looking at fielding and wanted some thoughts.

I usually play fairly cagey games. Having the large deliverers squad is a strong footprint and fairly hardy the turn it comes in. I left the Rhinos at home in this list, and feel like I have enough anti-tank and WS5 melee to deal with the things I need dealt with.

There are many variations to this list that I can go with, but Mor'Deythan snipers are too good to pass up. The Vigilator  can sit with a tactical squad or move around with the MD, having 3 units to clip Apothecaries and Sergents is strong.

Depending on enemy forces, I'll bubble wrap the Deredeos with a tactical squad, use the land speeders as mobile melta, or deep strike them along with the Deliverers and Furies. Having Fleet (2) means I don't necessarily -need- corvid packs on my Chaplain or Praetor.

Immediate thoughts; Only having 3 troop options, could be concerning. It depends entirely on each mission though. A warhawk jumpack retinue could be a choice. That would give a solid line base. I don't feel as though I need contemptors with how well the core of this army has been playing for the most part.

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XIX: Raven Guard) [2,999Pts] ++

+ Allegiance: +

XIX: Raven Guard

Allegiance: Loyalist

+ Rite of War: +

Rite of War: Decapitation Strike (RG)

+ HQ: +

Centurion [145Pts]: (Chaplain) Master craft one weapon to represent a Crozius Arcanum, Chaplain
. Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Warhawk Jump Pack

Centurion [95Pts]
. Vigilator: Artificer Armour
. . Bolt Pistol
. . Chainsword: Chainsword
. Vigilator

Praetor [170Pts]: The Hidden Hand, Warlord
. Legion Praetor: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Warhawk Jump Pack

+ Elites: +

Apothecarion Detachment [150Pts]
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour
. Apothecary: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour, Warhawk Jump Pack

Deliverers Squad [500Pts]
.  Deliverer Chieftain: Chainfist, Combi-Bolter
. Deliverer: Combi-Bolter, Power Fist
. Deliverer: Combi-Bolter
. . Power Weapon: Power Axe
. Deliverer w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-Melta
. Deliverer w/Heavy Weapon: Multi-Melta
. 3x Deliverer w/Pair of Raven's Talons: 3x Pair of Raven's Talons

Mor Deythan Squad [305Pts]
.  Mor Deythan Shade: Chainsword, Infravisor, Nemesis Bolter
. Mor Deythan: Chainsword, Nemesis Bolter

Mor Deythan Squad [185Pts]
.  Mor Deythan Shade: Chainsword, Infravisor, Nemesis Bolter

+ Troops: +

Tactical Squad [153Pts]
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist
. 8x  Legionaries (collective): 8x Bolt Pistol, 8x Bolter, 8x Chain Bayonet
. Legionary w/ Options:: Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Chain Bayonet, Nuncio-Vox

Tactical Squad [153Pts]

Tactical Squad [148Pts]
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Lightning Claw

+ Fast Attack: +

Dark Furies [305Pts]: Chooser of the Slain, Chooser of the Slain, Chooser of the Slain, 7x Dark Furies

Proteus Land Speeder Squadron [255Pts]
. Proteus Land Speeder: Bolt Pistol, Heavy Bolter, Multi-Melta

+ Heavy Support: +

Deredeo Dreadnought Talon [435Pts]
. Legion Deredeo Dreadnought: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Anvilus Autocannon Battery, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. Legion Deredeo Dreadnought: Aiolos Missile Launcher, Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Hellfire Plasma Cannonade

++ Total: [2,999Pts] ++

Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few thoughts about this list. Overall I think it more or less makes sense, with a decent mix of capabilities. 

I think maybe you're a bit heavy on the HQs. I'm not sure you need a Vigilator with all those Mor Deythan snipers, for example. And personally I think it might make sense to bring some Recon snipers instead of some MDs, particularly if you're worried about a lack of Line.

That big unit of deliverers is scary. Are they deep striking and, if so, is it with the Praetor? I guess that would work pretty well to make them show up at the right time, with that shrouding bonus too.

I'm not at all sure about Deredeos personally. I think Quad-las contemptors are probably better in most situations. Alternatively, you could get a lot of heavy weapon dudes for the price of these things.

With the Proteus Speeders is there a method to split weapon fire that I'm missing? If not, heavy bolter and melta kind of wastes one of the guns in any situation.

Hope this is helpful.

Edited by Mandragola

10 hours ago, Mandragola said:

With the Proteus Speeders is there a method to split weapon fire that I'm missing? If not, heavy bolter and melta kind of wastes one of the guns in any situation.

I think its more like - an additional Multimelter costs just 5pts (25pts) more, than to exchange the HB (20pts). 12HB shots for 15pts is nice.

I'm still think, the Mor Deythan are a "points-grave" with their Nemesis Bolters. Ten rending 5+ shots with sniper on BS 5 is just not worth 300pts - the do work best with CombiWeapons in a rhino. Atleast in my opinion.

Best loadout for AlphaStrike  would be 10 KombiVolkites, but i tend to run them with Combi plas, so that they are scary over two shootouts, rather than one.

I think i remember a (short)story, where Mor Deythan laid an ambush on a World Eater Convoy, where they mainly used Plasmaweapons and Rocketlaunchers, no SniperRifles.

I, at least, would cut the second Squad and use the points for either Seekers, or a scoring Recon Squad, if you do want Sniper Rifles.

I'd also cut one of the Deredeos for a Contemptor with a Melee arm ,just in case. You can still give him a Gravis lascannon and Helical, if you want, but if something comes into CC with those Deredeos, even a speeder, they could be shut down for the whole game.

23 hours ago, Mandragola said:

I have a few thoughts about this list. Overall I think it more or less makes sense, with a decent mix of capabilities. 

I think maybe you're a bit heavy on the HQs. I'm not sure you need a Vigilator with all those Mor Deythan snipers, for example. And personally I think it might make sense to bring some Recon snipers instead of some MDs, particularly if you're worried about a lack of Line.

That big unit of deliverers is scary. Are they deep striking and, if so, is it with the Praetor? I guess that would work pretty well to make them show up at the right time, with that shrouding bonus too.

I'm not at all sure about Deredeos personally. I think Quad-las contemptors are probably better in most situations. Alternatively, you could get a lot of heavy weapon dudes for the price of these things.

Hope this is helpful.

Normally I take a Master of Signals over the Vigilator. I do this with a support squad, either a 10 man rotor cannon squad (It averages 14 wounds with re-rolls) or a 10 man Volkite Caviler squad that averages around 27 wounds. One just offers a chance at an extra pin. I'm not against brining a Recon Squad, but a 5 man BS 4 sniper squad for 135 points just doesn't sit well with me, I'd rather just have a 10 man tac squad at that point. 

The Deliverers come in by themselves, or as the foundation for the Dark Furies behind them.

@MichaelCarmine is correct on the Multi-Meltas on the speeders. They have done a ton of work for me over so many games. They are so sneakily good and people don't usually figure that out until it's too late. Also being able to evade in a pinch with re-rolling 5+++ shroud saves is pretty cool, though I don't get to use it all the time due to so many Master of Signals in my meta, but they normally make their points back as a net positive.

Played two games with the Deredeos last night actually and I really like them. Especially for protecting my board edge with their rate of fire. Though I did whiff the gets hot roll on the blast template on an intercept which was a problem.

11 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

I think its more like - an additional Multimelter costs just 5pts (25pts) more, than to exchange the HB (20pts). 12HB shots for 15pts is nice.

I'm still think, the Mor Deythan are a "points-grave" with their Nemesis Bolters. Ten rending 5+ shots with sniper on BS 5 is just not worth 300pts - the do work best with CombiWeapons in a rhino. Atleast in my opinion.

Best loadout for AlphaStrike  would be 10 KombiVolkites, but i tend to run them with Combi plas, so that they are scary over two shootouts, rather than one.

I think i remember a (short)story, where Mor Deythan laid an ambush on a World Eater Convoy, where they mainly used Plasmaweapons and Rocketlaunchers, no SniperRifles.

I, at least, would cut the second Squad and use the points for either Seekers, or a scoring Recon Squad, if you do want Sniper Rifles.

I'd also cut one of the Deredeos for a Contemptor with a Melee arm ,just in case. You can still give him a Gravis lascannon and Helical, if you want, but if something comes into CC with those Deredeos, even a speeder, they could be shut down for the whole game.

No doubt the best way to play MD is with combi-volkite, I've enjoyed a ton of success with MD in their sniper role. I do like the idea of brining some Missile Launchers in alongside the MD. I can give Seekers another chance, they just haven't done well for me, I'll try them out again.

I really like Contemptors, and I have 2 I can currently field. If I were to drop down to a single Deredeo I would probably go with Plasma Cannons or Plasma/Grav in fist. Though I'm really liking double fist with double Grav.

14 hours ago, Dont-Be-Haten said:

Normally I take a Master of Signals over the Vigilator. I do this with a support squad, either a 10 man rotor cannon squad (It averages 14 wounds with re-rolls) or a 10 man Volkite Caviler squad that averages around 27 wounds. One just offers a chance at an extra pin. I'm not against brining a Recon Squad, but a 5 man BS 4 sniper squad for 135 points just doesn't sit well with me, I'd rather just have a 10 man tac squad at that point. 

The Deliverers come in by themselves, or as the foundation for the Dark Furies behind them.

@MichaelCarmine is correct on the Multi-Meltas on the speeders. They have done a ton of work for me over so many games. They are so sneakily good and people don't usually figure that out until it's too late. Also being able to evade in a pinch with re-rolling 5+++ shroud saves is pretty cool, though I don't get to use it all the time due to so many Master of Signals in my meta, but they normally make their points back as a net positive.

Played two games with the Deredeos last night actually and I really like them. Especially for protecting my board edge with their rate of fire. Though I did whiff the gets hot roll on the blast template on an intercept which was a problem.

No doubt the best way to play MD is with combi-volkite, I've enjoyed a ton of success with MD in their sniper role. I do like the idea of brining some Missile Launchers in alongside the MD. I can give Seekers another chance, they just haven't done well for me, I'll try them out again.

I really like Contemptors, and I have 2 I can currently field. If I were to drop down to a single Deredeo I would probably go with Plasma Cannons or Plasma/Grav in fist. Though I'm really liking double fist with double Grav.

How do you usually use your MD with sniper rifles? 5 of them infiltrating in the middle of the table or quite out of sight?

I kinda like my MD to be 9 combi volkite + 1 missile launcher, they retain the possibility to pin at a later stage.

35 minutes ago, suxdavide said:

How do you usually use your MD with sniper rifles? 5 of them infiltrating in the middle of the table or quite out of sight?

I kinda like my MD to be 9 combi volkite + 1 missile launcher, they retain the possibility to pin at a later stage.

So it really depends on what I'm facing. One of my regular opponents brings a 10 man heavy volkite culverin squad with Master of Signals and an Apothecary. So 45" range with 50 S6 shots hitting on 2s wounding on 2s.

I usually set them up in the backfield faraway and rely on their infravisor and BS5. Being able to move and shoot at full BS followed by the ability to allocate rends when those two models are in LoS is why i take nemesis bolters. Otherwise I'll infiltrate them and then redeploy using their scout move based on LoS blocking terrain, height of terrain etc. I use their 4+ rend defensively with their pistols when they are charged, or if i use them to intercept units I'm not going to pin with snipers. I've found that when taking combi-volkite they are more expensive and are a much larger threat/target. 

While bringing nemesis bolter MD probably isn't BiS it allows them to sustain weight of Fire more easily than the other options.

If I were to switch to combi-volkite I would need to play them more defensively to accommodate for the shorter range, and use them against deepstrike assault Justerians and jump pack reavers  dropping into my deployment zone with 4-5 squads of line filled with WS5 bodies everywhere.

Another regular opponent is Iron Warriors with Iron Havocs with autocannons, heavy support squad with Lascannons and a Master of Signals and Siege Tyrants, on top of the Automata and warsmith etc. So being able to try and out range those  squads or reposition and still fire is important for me. 

I understand that the counter to this is just take Recon or seeker squads with snipers, but they can't move and fire and are much more susceptible to S6+ high rates of fire. 

The good thing with Seekers is - they don't need another weapons. Their best weapon-choice is the weapon they're already equiped with, the Kraken Bolter.

Last few games, i put Nex into them, so that they could benefit from his ShroudBombs. Now they can even engage enemy Seekers (as long, as they don't have NightVision) and don't  have to fear breaching Return-Fire.

Worked Incredibly well! 

Edit: Paired with DecapStrike, they wreak havoc amongst enems units including any ICs. Together with the Pinning ap2 Brutal 2 shots of nex, they decimated/ pinned 20man Despoiler and Tac squads (Word Bearers) and a 20man assault squad with relative ease. =]

Edited by MichaelCarmine

I've decided to go with a Telepathy Librarian and seeker squad with Apothecary so I can snipe and pin out units. Looking forward to letting you know how it goes. If I don't go with Telepathy, I think giving the squad a 4++ invuln bubble or nuking units with pie plates may be the other play. 

• 1 month later...

After taking some advice, and moving models around, how do we feel about this list? I've found recently that I want a scoring 2+ WS5. While I love my Deliverers, here's a list without them. I'm curious to the thoughts of others.

Plasma squad gets the MoS, both Apothecaries go with the MD and Seekers respectively. This also allows me to put my storm eagle into the list at a Recon squad tax. A bit of play testing would be needed, but on paper I really like the look and feel to this army.

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XIX: Raven Guard) [2,999Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

Centurion [95Pts]
. Master of Signals: Artificer Armour
. . Bolt Pistol
. Master of Signals

Praetor [628Pts]: The Hidden Hand, Warlord
. Command Squad: Warhawk Jump Pack
. . Legion Chosen: Bolter, Pair of Raven's Talons
. . Legion Standard Bearer: Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. Legion Praetor: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer, Warhawk Jump Pack

Apothecarion Detachment [90Pts]

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon [205Pts]
. Contemptor Dreadnought: Gravis Melta Cannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon, Havoc Launcher, Meltagun

Mor Deythan Squad [345Pts]
.  Mor Deythan Shade: Artificer Armour, Chainsword, Infravisor, Minor Combi-Weapon - Volkite Charger
. Mor Deythan: Chainsword, Minor Combi-Weapon - Volkite Charger

+ Troops: +

Reconnaissance Squad [325Pts]
.  Legion Recon Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Bolter
.  Recon Legionary: Bolt Pistol, Bolter
. Storm Eagle Gunship: Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Two Hull (Front) Mounted twin-linked lascannon

Tactical Squad [153Pts]

Tactical Squad [153Pts]
.  Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Raven's Talon

Tactical Support Squad [245Pts]: Plasma Gun
.  Legion Tactical Support Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Armour
. 9x Legionaries (collective): 9x Bolt Pistol

+ Fast Attack: +

Dark Furies [305Pts]: 7x Dark Furies
. 3x Chooser of the Slain: 3x Artificer Armour

Proteus Land Speeder Squadron [255Pts]

Seeker Squad [200Pts]
.  Legion Seeker Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Infravisor, Kraken Bolter
. Legion Seeker: Bolt Pistol, Kraken Bolter

++ Total: [2,999Pts] ++

A couple of points/feedback on your list:

- you need 9+ dark furys to allow 2 additional chooser of the slain

- infravisor on the seeker sergeant isn't ideal as he is BS5 already, giving him +1BS won't be a significant upgrade, but it makes you more susceptible to blind, the same applies to the Mor Deythan sergeant 

- I'd drop the contemptor havoc launcher, I don't think they're worth the points

- if you can find room to swap in grav guns on the speeders they'll be much better anti armour.

- I'd consider swapping the recon marines bolters to shotguns or nemesis bolters if you can find the points, they'll feel less of a tax if they have a better loadout 

31 minutes ago, Varyn said:

A couple of points/feedback on your list:

- you need 9+ dark furys to allow 2 additional chooser of the slain

- infravisor on the seeker sergeant isn't ideal as he is BS5 already, giving him +1BS won't be a significant upgrade, but it makes you more susceptible to blind, the same applies to the Mor Deythan sergeant 

- I'd drop the contemptor havoc launcher, I don't think they're worth the points

- if you can find room to swap in grav guns on the speeders they'll be much better anti armour.

- I'd consider swapping the recon marines bolters to shotguns or nemesis bolters if you can find the points, they'll feel less of a tax if they have a better loadout 

- You need 9 Dark Furies to UPGRADE up to 2 to Chooser of the Slain. Which still would be 10 man, wchich is exactlay what he has.

- i don't think anybody equips Infravisors for the +1BS, we equip it vor Nightvision. Also - there are much fewer Blind weapons, especially when you compare it to HH1.0.

The only astartes-weapon with "blind" i can think of right now is the conversion beamer, which i 've yet to see on the Battlefield. The rest is all in the Armories of the Mechanicum.

- swap with what? the MM? Thats actually worse, because the MM can also be used against Elite 2W Models. And i think, the HB is only on the Speeders, because its cheap 12 Shots Str 5.

-The Recons must be deployed with the StormEagle. If he'd equip them with NemesisBolters, since they are heavy, they could only fire full BS the Turn AFTER they deploy and disembark from the vehicle. Which would be Turn 3 in the best case Scenario (nail reserve roll, hover onto the Battlefield/deepstrike, disembark). BUT i think, they are best served as a late game objective graper, which woul mean, that they are embarked until turn 4/5 and could not make use of the NBs. So Bolter it is! ^^

@MichaelCarmine is right on both the infravisor and the heavy bolters on speeders. Night vision and ignoring shroud is 100% worth the 10 points. And 15 points for 3 heavy bolters is a nice little addition.

If I were to drop the havoc launcher, I would give the plasma squad sergeant AA. If I were to halve the MD squad, or remove it entirely I could add a second contemptor and a Recon sniper squad or bring back the librarian for telepathy powers. All of the options have merit. I just don't know how much of a point trade I could make with the MD squad after their initial rend special. I truthfully have been leaning towards dropping MD completely from my list and just run a squad of veterans in their place to anvil objectives. Having a 6+++/4+++ WS 5 2 wound unit that's cheaper than MD feel like a solid investment. Especially being able to take a Thunderhammer with Chosen Warriors to protect it from challenges.

5 hours ago, MichaelCarmine said:

- You need 9 Dark Furies to UPGRADE up to 2 to Chooser of the Slain. Which still would be 10 man, wchich is exactlay what he has.

- i don't think anybody equips Infravisors for the +1BS, we equip it vor Nightvision. Also - there are much fewer Blind weapons, especially when you compare it to HH1.0.

The only astartes-weapon with "blind" i can think of right now is the conversion beamer, which i 've yet to see on the Battlefield. The rest is all in the Armories of the Mechanicum.

- swap with what? the MM? Thats actually worse, because the MM can also be used against Elite 2W Models. And i think, the HB is only on the Speeders, because its cheap 12 Shots Str 5.

-The Recons must be deployed with the StormEagle. If he'd equip them with NemesisBolters, since they are heavy, they could only fire full BS the Turn AFTER they deploy and disembark from the vehicle. Which would be Turn 3 in the best case Scenario (nail reserve roll, hover onto the Battlefield/deepstrike, disembark). BUT i think, they are best served as a late game objective graper, which woul mean, that they are embarked until turn 4/5 and could not make use of the NBs. So Bolter it is! ^^

The list says x7 Dark Furys and 3 chooser of the slain, which implies 2 additional chooser of the slain, the unit needs to be 9-10 dark furys to have 3 chooser of the slain in the unit. I think part of the problem is pasting in from Battlescribe.

Noted on the infravisors, I forgot about ignoring night fighting!

I think the grav is a better option than the heavy bolter for anti armour/dreadnoughts and it's only 5 points more.

Agreed on the nemesis bolters, but shotguns might be worth a look

36 minutes ago, Varyn said:

The list says x7 Dark Furys and 3 chooser of the slain, which implies 2 additional chooser of the slain, the unit needs to be 9-10 dark furys to have 3 chooser of the slain in the unit. I think part of the problem is pasting in from Battlescribe.

Noted on the infravisors, I forgot about ignoring night fighting!

I think the grav is a better option than the heavy bolter for anti armour/dreadnoughts and it's only 5 points more.

Agreed on the nemesis bolters, but shotguns might be worth a look

Squad maxes at 10 Battle Scribe has the points built in for the Chooser upgrades.

With regard to the grav guns;

I would rather have guaranteed pens from moving and shooting with the multi-meltas. The thing about AP1 is you have a 33% chance for explosion on every pen roll grav does not allow that, and this lists AV is on the softer end. Other than leviathans this list has multiple ways to deal with T7 as well as elite infantry. I.e. 40+ attacks at WS4/5 with rending 5+ including plasma and seekers etc.

That being said I'll look into it.

It is only my two cents, offering my thoughts on your list :smile:

I wasn’t suggesting swapping the Multimelta, I was suggesting swapping the heavy bolter for a grav gun. Multimeltas are excellent on land speeders 

Edited by Varyn

• 1 month later...

I've been playing around with lists. @Mandragola always hinting at infiltrating Proteus land raiders in Raven Guard seems wicked. I built this null deployment list thinking it probably isn't very good, but offers a lot of pressure on the opponent. I guess the Raven Guard have developed Corvid Pattern Engines, to make them extra stealthy and quiet.

Anyways, this list seems like a lot of fun and shenanigans to be had! (Even if it is spammy!)

++ Crusade Force Organisation Chart (LA - XIX: Raven Guard) [3,000Pts] ++

+ Expanded Army Lists +

Expanded Army List Profiles:: Exemplary Units On, Legacy Units On

Centurion [125Pts]: (Chaplain) Master craft one weapon to represent a Crozius Arcanum, Chaplain
. Chaplain: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Thunder Hammer

Praetor [698Pts]: The Bane of Tyrants (Loyalist only), Warlord
. Command Squad
. . Land Raider Proteus Carrier: Twin-linked Heavy Bolter
. . Legion Chosen: Bolter, 2x Raven's Talon
. . Legion Chosen: Bolter
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Power Weapon: Power Axe
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. . . Bolt Pistol
. . . Power Weapon: Power Sword
. . Legion Standard Bearer: Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
. Legion Praetor: Archaeotech Pistol, Artificer Armour, Cameleoline, Paragon Blade

Apothecarion Detachment [180Pts]

Veteran Squad [297Pts]
.   Veteran Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Thunder Hammer