World Eaters Points/Rules leaks

My immediate reaction is it seems primed to receive a codex very early into 10th with the second half of it's models, but I also had that prediction for Thousand Sons and I've been wearing clown makeup ever since.

Honk.

Edited by Lord Marshal

35 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

My immediate reaction is it seems primed to receive a codex very early into 10th with the second half of it's models, but I also had that prediction for Thousand Sons and I've been wearing clown makeup ever since.

Honk.

I agree. just like the VOtann

Ok to me there are a few things that definitely feel off.  But the biggest is where are basic cultists?  Even DG and TS have access to basic cultists.  We're the only traitor  legion (of the big 3 released) that don't get our own termie unit and no cultist?

And....no lord in termie Armor.....where's Azrakh?

Just now, betrayer41 said:

TS have Zhangors and cultists, DG have Poxwalkers and Cultists......

Why not have Jackhals......and Cultists.......

I would have done it like this; Thousand sons & Emperor children get the cultists and Deathguard & World eaters get the traitor guard as the generic mortal troops lifted over.

4 minutes ago, Marshal Reinhard said:

ah, fair enough actually.

Originally I thought the same thing then I was like wait.... im pretty sure they have access to both....I was working on some "blood pact" as cultists lol so thats why it took me by surprise

1 hour ago, betrayer41 said:

Ok to me there are a few things that definitely feel off.  But the biggest is where are basic cultists?  Even DG and TS have access to basic cultists.  We're the only traitor  legion (of the big 3 released) that don't get our own termie unit and no cultist?

And....no lord in termie Armor.....where's Azrakh?

Also missing generic chaos lord.

8 hours ago, Closet Skeleton said:

I'm not happy with Havocs being gone but Teeth of Khorne don't exist in the lore, they're pure fanon. Havocs have always been the second WE unit banned after Sorcerers.

It sucks but I was prepared for everthing except the lack of basic foot lords.

The real issue is not knowing if this codex is going to apply to 9th ed or if its going to be rapidly invalidated with a big second wave like Sisters were.

"Teeth of Khorne" as a proper name may not have existed, but World Eaters Devestators are described as the "teeth of the World Eaters" and as plunging into combat to take blood while firing their weapons. This is Rogue Trader-era and the stats for them are in the old Slaves to Darkness book. Pg.262. So no, they were not always banned.

6 hours ago, betrayer41 said:

TS have Zhangors and cultists, DG have Poxwalkers and Cultists......

Why not have Jackhals......and Cultists.......

Tzaangors and Poxwalkers are both different enough from Cultists to justify a separate datasheet. We know almost nothing about Jakhals; maybe they are too similar to warrant a separation? 

23 hours ago, GreaterChickenofTzeentch said:

"Teeth of Khorne" as a proper name may not have existed, but World Eaters Devestators are described as the "teeth of the World Eaters" and as plunging into combat to take blood while firing their weapons. This is Rogue Trader-era and the stats for them are in the old Slaves to Darkness book. Pg.262. So no, they were not always banned.

I didn't say always banned please read what I actually posted and then look at the World Eaters Librarian entry also in Slaves to Darkness. They weren't banned in the 7th or 8th ed books either which only banned Sorcerers.

Obviously Rogue Trader isn't no influence or we wouldn't have Tzaangors in TS but its still a long way back to go. There are a lot of units in those books that weren't showing up.

You know its all fiction right? There is no mythical "book of lore" with the absolute truth out there, GW themselves have said there is no canon.

They exist in black library books, (Not just any books, ADB is one of the authors most known for meticulous research and painting inside the lines) and OG rule books specifically and have been allowed in plenty of rulebooks since. The 40k universe is deliberately weirder and as flexible as possible.

Besides, its not like Khorne cares from whence the blood flows ;) 

The WD 263 Index Astartes World Eaters list, and the Khorne Daemonkin list, are two examples of "Havocs are made unavailable".

When they have been available, there has sometimes been a distinction between "Khorne Berserkers" and "Chaos Marines that just have the Mark of Khorne" - Berserkers get Furious Charge, MoK marines (including Havocs) don't.

In 3.5, (the second CSM rulebook released under 3e rules, making use of the Trial Assault Rules variant) while it was possible to have "World Eaters Havocs" they were sometimes forced to move toward the nearest enemy, being unable to shoot their heavy weapons as a result.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, Closet Skeleton said:

I didn't say always banned please read what I actually posted and then look at the World Eaters Librarian entry also in Slaves to Darkness. They weren't banned in the 7th or 8th ed books either which only banned Sorcerers.

Obviously Rogue Trader isn't no influence or we wouldn't have Tzaangors in TS but its still a long way back to go. There are a lot of units in those books that weren't showing up.

In reference to "always," I was reacting to this, specifically from your post:

"Havocs have always been the second WE unit banned after Sorcerers."

Did you basically mean that they were the second unit removed after they started banning things? The word "always" is what was causing the issue.

I do agree that they haven't always been consistent in what the WA didn't have access to.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:54 PM, Noserenda said:

You know its all fiction right? There is no mythical "book of lore" with the absolute truth out there, GW themselves have said there is no canon.

They exist in black library books, (Not just any books, ADB is one of the authors most known for meticulous research and painting inside the lines) and OG rule books specifically and have been allowed in plenty of rulebooks since. The 40k universe is deliberately weirder and as flexible as possible.

Besides, its not like Khorne cares from whence the blood flows ;) 

Khorne also specifically loves guns, especially big ones, and sometimes rewards champions with strange firearms.

On 11/12/2022 at 12:24 PM, Closet Skeleton said:

On the Librarians, they had no psychic powers and had just basically become "tallymen" somewhat similar to the Nurgle concept. Would have been interesting if they had kept that concept instead of having the last WE librarians dying trying to save Angron (if I remember right). That's definitely an early item we won't see again, though, because of that change......and yes, this does mean that they could want to eliminate WE Havocs in a similar way. I just hope they don't.

On 11/10/2022 at 11:18 PM, Interrogator Stobz said:

Well if it's a true list I will be saving a bit (heaps/thousands/lots) of monies by not bothering.

It's still the first time I've been optimistic about something 40k since late 8th but this is a bit of a worry. 

Hopefully a playtest or fake.

Yeah I’m with you man, I will sell or give away my chaos stuff and just collect Tau and Primaris. Means I don’t have to paint anymore of that banding so there’s that lol.

Whether or not this pointleak is fake ( it could easily be).. the leaks wich it then would be based on have been highly accurate, the first mistakes would be if this list is real ( as he had said no terminators, but yes cultists), so be cautious with the hopium there... but even beyond that I have a feeling people put their expectations way too high/different here for two big reasons.

1. This release follows shortly after 2 bigger army releases. ( LoV and guard ) it was always going to be a smaller kind of release.

2. Thousand sons and Deathguard only had 2 and 4 (only 3 bespoke) actual marine squad-units respectively, both of them having quite a minimal list in general, with the deathguard release mostly appearing so huge because it had alot of "duplicate" releases ( beyond the starterset there were 5 kits that represent the plaguemarine datasheet ) and solo models.

Yes the lords and cultists situations would be unexpected/unfortunate (especially considering the warhammer+ exclusive mini), but people getting angry/dissapointed that there wont be World eater havocs, raptors, more marine units in general  etc. (specific kits or not) really put their expectations way too high compared to the evidence we had for years ( TS and DG ) that this would probably not happen.

I dont mean this as offensive as it comes across, as while I do like the smaller but more specific approach of the cult codexes ( and personally hoped for something more like that would have happened for Ynnari concept, even at the loss of the wider access it has now. ) I do think they made each of them a little too focused on a single build.

And I think its weird too they suddenly stopped their bunch of elite/hq solos approach leaving behind an odd imbalance between armies that do and do not have those. Especially with cult armies they add a bit of flavor imho

in the end what both this WE list ( if true ) as well as the Thousand sons lack most, is their own daemon engines more so than marines.

Edited by TheMawr
added daemon engines talk

4 hours ago, TheMawr said:

Whether or not this pointleak is fake ( it could easily be).. the leaks wich it then would be based on have been highly accurate, the first mistakes would be if this list is real ( as he had said no terminators, but yes cultists), so be cautious with the hopium there... but even beyond that I have a feeling people put their expectations way too high/different here for two big reasons.

1. This release follows shortly after 2 bigger army releases. ( LoV and guard ) it was always going to be a smaller kind of release.

2. Thousand sons and Deathguard only had 2 and 4 (only 3 bespoke) actual marine squad-units respectively, both of them having quite a minimal list in general, with the deathguard release mostly appearing so huge because it had alot of "duplicate" releases ( beyond the starterset there were 5 kits that represent the plaguemarine datasheet ) and solo models.

DG were pretty chunky, due to being edition posterboys.

TS

Magnus

Ahriman

Exalted

Rubric

Scarabs

DG

Mortarion
Typhus
Assortment of characters buyable (Putrifier, Blightspawn, Tallyman, Surgeon) and not buyable at the moment (Lord of Contagion for example)
Poxwalkers

Plagues
Blightlord
Deathshroud
Blighthauler

Plagueburst
Drone
Various one-offs, and basically alternative sculpts

Even excluding the one-offs/alternative sculpt filler, DG is way bigger.

Lord of Virulence and Infernal Master excluded due to coming after faction launch.

WE (Leak estimate)
Angron
Lord on Juggs/Invocatus
Jakhals
Berserkers
Eightbound

WE basically follows the TS formula.

Hmm, little odd there isn't any AoS ported as filler.

Edited by spessmarine

2 hours ago, spessmarine said:

DG were pretty chunky, due to being edition posterboys.

TS

Magnus

Ahriman

Exalted

Rubric

Scarabs

DG

Mortarion
Typhus
Assortment of characters buyable (Putrifier, Blightspawn, Tallyman, Surgeon) and not buyable at the moment (Lord of Contagion for example)
Poxwalkers

Plagues
Blightlord
Deathshroud
Blighthauler

Plagueburst
Drone
Various one-offs, and basically alternative sculpts

Even excluding the one-offs/alternative sculpt filler, DG is way bigger.

Lord of Virulence and Infernal Master excluded due to coming after faction launch.

WE (Leak estimate)
Angron
Lord on Juggs/Invocatus
Jakhals
Berserkers
Eightbound

WE basically follows the TS formula.

Worth noting tsons got tzaangors before sigmar did, so there's that extra for them.

2 hours ago, MegaVolt87 said:

I am extremely disappointed there is no teeth of khorne havock unit, no bezerkers with jump packs or WE signature terminators. I am now dreading what the EC Dex will be like. Lazy codex honestly. 

It's not so much a "lazy Codex", just that the rules are dictated by the models available, and the mini range launch looks to be Thousand Sons sized rather than Death Guard sized. If the mini design studio only has so many kits ready to go, then the Codex will only include rules for those, not whatever hypothetical units happen to be coming down the pipe in another 12-18 months.

There's every chance this is just the initial push to get them on the table and then we see them expanded in 10th Edition. Sure it could be like Harlequins or Thousand Sons and just a one-and-done release, but we also have examples like Sororitas, AdMech and Genestealer Cults where they got their small-ish initial release in one edition and then an expanded roster in the following one. Lets hope it's more like the latter because a Khorne faction without Juggernaut cavalry just isn't finished, right?

3 hours ago, spessmarine said:

Tbh there isn't really much in the AoS Khorne range that fits. GW seems to have shied away from including Daemons in the 40K Codexes so that rules a big chunk of the units out, and the mortal warriors don't really fit the 40k aesthetic at all. I suppose I expected the Slaughterbrute to be in there just because the Mutalith is in the Thousand Sons book and they share a kit. Maybe if they get around to doing Khorngors for AoS they could appear in a future edition WE book.

I wouldn't mind small release if it were like Votann where each unit has a distinct look and battlefield role. But looking at leak we have four infantry melee units, no fast-moving units except for the characters and shooty units like Helbrute, Defiler and Predator which are largely similar or interchangeable. So we have an army where characters have to wait for infantry to catch up to them backed up by heavy support that lazily shoot few lascannon shots. 

We don't know the rules yet so there might be some hope, but unfortunately, Khorne doesn't always get the most interesting rules. If this is the release we get, then add me to those who say it's lazy. Well, at least the the models so far look pretty dope.

Edited by Stealth_Hobo