World Eaters Points/Rules leaks

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

There's every chance this is just the initial push to get them on the table and then we see them expanded in 10th Edition. Sure it could be like Harlequins or Thousand Sons and just a one-and-done release, but we also have examples like Sororitas, AdMech and Genestealer Cults where they got their small-ish initial release in one edition and then an expanded roster in the following one. Lets hope it's more like the latter because a Khorne faction without Juggernaut cavalry just isn't finished, right?

Apparently a second wave of Harlequins was planned but the sales of the first wave didn't justify further development. Whether WE are in the same boat is something I would hesitate to speculate on.

8 hours ago, spessmarine said:

*snip*

WE basically follows the TS formula.

Hmm, little odd there isn't any AoS ported as filler.

Never said DG wasnt a much bigger release, it obviously was, I only said that the size of their release was not in unique marine squads, wich equal lack in the WE rumors is the grounds of people's dissapointed expectations and arguments against the rumors..

as others pointed out lack of AoS ports isnt that weird in this case ( and I dont think GW even acknowledges the existence of the slaughterbrute anymore.) though what always suprises me is GWs reluctance to port in Necromunda kits in 40k.. wich is even in the same setting, despite having no problems doing that with Horus heresy and AoS. At least 2 could work well here ( corpse grinders and the goliath lawnmower bike )

If the rumours of a later Khorne box are true then this might just be a first wave, something GW have done a fair bit in the last few years, with an expanded codex coming in 10th with more units in it. 

Id definitely want a more practical daemon engine like a blood slaughterer, foot character, jugger cavalry and terminators before the range signed off, fast attack especially is super slim! 

On 11/12/2022 at 5:09 PM, DesuVult said:

I am not too concerned with rules history personally.  I just think narratively it would make sense and be cool to be able to take havocs.  I think it would be cool and narrative for Chaos to have a lot of things they don't in 40k though as well.

We've been suffering since the loss of the 3.5 book.

5 minutes ago, Scribe said:

We've been suffering since the loss of the 3.5 book.

Ive been suffering since RoC, all those Chaos an Daemon weapon choices and so many mutations!!! God I miss the weird armys we could have back in the day. :wub:

I would love to see some fat chunky Zerkers with heavy weapons, heavy bolters with chainsword bayonette's would look cool, stabby and shooty.

*snort* 3.5 Codex was the worst World eaters ever were, literally couldnt control your army once they leave transports so they'd end up chasing around Vypers and Land speeders futilely waving axes. All the options in the world dont make up for your army being a joke. 

20 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

*snort* 3.5 Codex was the worst World eaters ever were, literally couldnt control your army once they leave transports so they'd end up chasing around Vypers and Land speeders futilely waving axes. All the options in the world dont make up for your army being a joke. 

Yeah I didnt get too many games in with World Eaters back in 3.5,I was having too much fun with my Death Guard.

27 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

I'd still take it over this puddle deep 'list'.

Yeah thats the biggest head scratcher for me in 8th/9th. Why merge all marines back together with supplements and then do the opposite for chaos, creating exactly the issue marine players complained about for years.

Seemingly, because it looks like GW's intent is to have the god legions faction-unique with their ever-growing list of unique units. Death guard being the prime example at the moment. Lost access to mauler-forgefiend and heldrake due to having access to blight drone, hauler, and plague tank. Space marines have a clear and unified resource pool being loyalists with minimal divergences relative to chaos. While chaos enjoys its divergent freedom to expand into unique directions, particularly for the main 4 god-legions having no shackles, and the very nature of chaos being what it is, chaos has more room to "spread out". 

20 minutes ago, Ahzek451 said:

Seemingly, because it looks like GW's intent is to have the god legions faction-unique with their ever-growing list of unique units. Death guard being the prime example at the moment. Lost access to mauler-forgefiend and heldrake due to having access to blight drone, hauler, and plague tank. Space marines have a clear and unified resource pool being loyalists with minimal divergences relative to chaos. While chaos enjoys its divergent freedom to expand into unique directions, particularly for the main 4 god-legions having no shackles, and the very nature of chaos being what it is, chaos has more room to "spread out". 

Be that as it may, its a fantastic way for them to ensure that they will receive nothing from me.

12 hours ago, Halandaar said:

It's not so much a "lazy Codex", just that the rules are dictated by the models available, and the mini range launch looks to be Thousand Sons sized rather than Death Guard sized. If the mini design studio only has so many kits ready to go, then the Codex will only include rules for those, not whatever hypothetical units happen to be coming down the pipe in another 12-18 months.

There's every chance this is just the initial push to get them on the table and then we see them expanded in 10th Edition. Sure it could be like Harlequins or Thousand Sons and just a one-and-done release, but we also have examples like Sororitas, AdMech and Genestealer Cults where they got their small-ish initial release in one edition and then an expanded roster in the following one. Lets hope it's more like the latter because a Khorne faction without Juggernaut cavalry just isn't finished, right?

Tbh there isn't really much in the AoS Khorne range that fits. GW seems to have shied away from including Daemons in the 40K Codexes so that rules a big chunk of the units out, and the mortal warriors don't really fit the 40k aesthetic at all. I suppose I expected the Slaughterbrute to be in there just because the Mutalith is in the Thousand Sons book and they share a kit. Maybe if they get around to doing Khorngors for AoS they could appear in a future edition WE book.

Traitor Guard, Corpse Grinder Cult, and the Slaughterbrute would be no-brainers,. They already have models, the Traitor Guard kit has some melee options unused in 40k, and as has been said, the Slaughterbrute shares a kit with the Vortex Beast. Wouldn't be perfect, but could create an interesting "human wave" army that also fits with favored Khorne tactics.

5 hours ago, grailkeeper said:

Only two named characters is disappointing if it's true.

Three with Angron, and that's one more than both TS and DG got...

1 hour ago, Scribe said:

Be that as it may, its a fantastic way for them to ensure that they will receive nothing from me.

And it's opposite for other people. I wouldn't collect DG if it wasn't it's own seperate faction with its own units and codex. I refuse to essentially buy two codexes (codex and supplement) to play one faction, dumbest thing ever.

3 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Three with Angron, and that's one more than both TS and DG got...

And it's opposite for other people. I wouldn't collect DG if it wasn't it's own seperate faction with its own units and codex. I refuse to essentially buy two codexes (codex and supplement) to play one faction, dumbest thing ever.

I'm not saying it can't be its own codex, stand alone.

Giving us a handful of units, gutting the rest of what should be there?

Why am I as a Chaos player once again being told by GW to make due with less?

If this is legit,  and it probably is, then the faction I've waited on for decades, won't get me to Crack open the vault, and that's really annoying. 

It seems possibly worth bearing in mind that Berzerkers will still be 'plug and play' in a regular CSM list, and therefore there will still be mechanics to give limited access to mainstream CSM units through allied detachments that need not show up in this book's point lists. I know that would cost CP, but they may write in something to allow some cross-dex picks that they don't have space for in this book.

It's not too hard to 'bridge the gaps' to the parent/faction codex withinin the God or Legion/Chapter-specific 'supplemental lists', and given that they are moving away from putting multiple army updates in campaign supplements, you can see them starting to actually refer to and allow for people to build armies across multiple lists if they wish without giving up all the shiny Codex-specific gubbins.

They handled this well with the Daemons book; if you haven't run 'Letters and Hounds in your WE recently, it's fun as heck!

The complete lack of Fast Attack other than Spawn is a big surprise, and a let down if true. A unit of Raptors or bikers should not be beyond the capacity of a WE Lord, certainly. With luck this means that 'World Eater Spawn' will get their own distinct unit and be substantially different from regular Chaos Spawn? ... seems doubtful. I'll continue using my old Fantast minotaurs and assorted weirdos for lulz. I'm generally happy to use a couple units of Spawn in most games, so it does feel on brand if not entirely innovative : P

Just have to wait and see, of course. And not that long now...

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

6 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I'm not saying it can't be its own codex, stand alone.

Giving us a handful of units, gutting the rest of what should be there?

Why am I as a Chaos player once again being told by GW to make due with less?

If this is legit,  and it probably is, then the faction I've waited on for decades, won't get me to Crack open the vault, and that's really annoying. 

I apologize for assuming, posts around yours were emphasizing the two book situation and I am soooo against that.

It's definitely a tricky situation. Not defending GW, they created the situation themselves. The more cult legion specific units, the less vanilla CSM units should be in there. But you can't do a small WE release and let them still use units like Maulerfiends and Forgefiends and print that in a stand alone codex to turn around the next edition and give them their own Daemon Engine(s) and then suddenly take away Maulerfiends and Forgefiends, that will piss everyone off that invested in those for WE.

And to me that's the scary thing about having regular terminators in the codex at release. Pretty much garuntees they will not get their own cult terminators. Neither TS and DG have access to the regular terminators. They are not going to release a red butcher kit and new Daemon engines an edition later and kick the other units out of the codex, and I doubt they will let the WE codex double up on stuff that they didn't let TS and DG do.

The whole thing reminds me of video game developers pushing out unfinished games. Just push back the release and polish the turd off. Quit releasing half baked ideas.

5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The whole thing reminds me of video game developers pushing out unfinished games. Just push back the release and polish the turd off. Quit releasing half baked ideas.

Yes. Even in an ideal world, this type of model means we have to buy a half backed codex, to 'fund' a better one down the road. That is not good enough, at all.

The list displayed here, is beyond pathetic. Its insulting my intelligence, questionable as that is, for GW to think I would buy into this.

Certain point costs in the leak have me scratching my head. Angron is alot cheaper than even Magnus. Either he is going to be the weakest Daemon Primarch or he is coming out the gate undercosted.

Also 125pts for a lord on juggernaut? Seems cheap. DG terminator lords are 120-125pts. I don't think 2+ armor and deepstrike is as valuable as the higher movement and extra attacks (and probably MW mechanic on the charge) the juggernaut will bring. 

It could just be playtest points. It could also be fake. Who knows. I am disappointed it got even less of a TS release. I mean the blood slaughterer is such low hanging fruit...

As a loyalist that WAS a separate faction from 4th till 8th, I can honestly say I much prefer a return to the 3e approach of supplement, there were always rubbish discrepencies from codex marines because we'd get done first and then marines would get updated and then you'd have to wait and hope your units got the same updates and fixes, when they had exactly the same name and clearly are meant to be the same thing. Then you had stuff where units that appeared in books for the faction weren't available despite them existing for regular marines. It was very frustrating, and I know Dark Angels had it even worse at some points (stuff like their storm shields being just... worse for a stupid amount of time).

There is the arguement of "just update all the marine codexes in one go, but GW was never going to do that, instead you'd wait the aformentioned years to get brought in line, if you ever did. Then typically the core marine codex would get another update and you'd be behind again. It was particularly bad when detachments were a thing frankly, stuff like the demi company getting free transports but not if you were blood angels (till right before the end of the edition!).

Of course, if it were a purely online living ruleset now, or at least dual online and physical with quick erratas, it might work.

Anyway, just wanted to give context ot my prior comment. Realistically, if its a separate book, I don't think GW will ever go back to the mess they had with DA/BA/SW having 90% identical units to codex marines with a bunch of discrepencies in the rules. The way GW seem to have decided to do it, is focus on the unique units with the barest smattering of core chaos units to fill gaps they haven't made unique units for yet.

edit... on the discrepencies note, anyone know if thousand sons and deathguard units got brought inline with codex chaos space marines after it got released? I'm guessing not?

Edited by Blindhamster

5 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Certain point costs in the leak have me scratching my head. Angron is alot cheaper than even Magnus. Either he is going to be the weakest Daemon Primarch or he is coming out the gate undercosted.

Also 125pts for a lord on juggernaut? Seems cheap. DG terminator lords are 120-125pts. I don't think 2+ armor and deepstrike is as valuable as the higher movement and extra attacks (and probably MW mechanic on the charge) the juggernaut will bring. 

It could just be playtest points. It could also be fake. Who knows. I am disappointed it got even less of a TS release. I mean the blood slaughterer is such low hanging fruit...

Playtest documents start to look like the finished product, read formatting and design, around the 3rd playtest phase of five. At least that was the case for 30k 2.0.

I wouldn't put it past GW to just omit stuff they don't deem neccessary to test even if they end up in the end product.

Regarding points, Angron might be cheaper than his brothers to account for the lack of psychic powers and ranged weapons, though a bit of undercosting wouldn't harm sales.

What is also missing from this list is any equivalent to pathogens or legion command, again something gw might not deem necessary to test but could end up in the end product.

25 minutes ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

The lord on the juggernaut point wise would be very comparable to wolf lords on thunderwolves. The reason thunderwolves don't see a lot of play is that cavalry can't go through breachable terrain (for example ruin walls). I do agree that Angron would be very cheap but it's possible he is meant to be a crutch.

For me I think the frustrating part about this army is that it relies on things GW refuses to fix. Transports, vehicles, and cavalry have been bad this entire edition, this army would rely on them. There are obviously examples of those units that work but for the most part they've been poor. This should be a tentpole release for GW, but it's hard to get excited about berserkers when you know they'll probably need a rhino, or lords on juggernauts that will be outmaneuvered as they go the long way around ruins.  I suspect GW wanted them to be the last release because they think a lot of these issues will be resolved in 10th. That doesn't really make it better though, and there are enough units on this list that it should seem viable. It's possible this list is fake or was an attempt to find leakers but it's depressing that GW or someone could make a list like this one that feels dead on arrival.