Vashtorr the Arkifane

2 hours ago, Ahzek451 said:

When it comes to chaos, I'm a Tzeentch guy to the core, but if there was something in chaos that would make me want to diverge a bit, its this dude. Come on daemon engine army rules. 

Fellow birdman here, this guy is verrry tempting. Given that he is god neutral, I hope he has rules to slot into any Chaos army. I also think this guy would be a sweet base for Iron Warriors daemon princes

While it's sad that this is not the first of a dark mech range, finally having a daemon model (neither engine nor prince) visually interacting with the sci-fi aspects of 40k is honestly great.

That begs the question how vashtorr will slot into the armies of chaos; it's a pure daemon so should arguably belong in Chaos Daemons, but it's direct ties lie with things like Obliterators and daemon engines, which belong to Chaos marines. Unless GW plans to add daemon engines to regular daemons, or dare I say cyber daemons of some sort.

I think I'm going the opposite way. I thought he looked incredible but now I've looked at his face again and he looks surprised to me. :tongue: Still a fantastic model regardless, and likely to give my Adeptus Mechanicus nightmares.

Edited by Magos Takatus

Oh Vashtorr, you mean my new Daemon Prince. Nice to meet you

Also, I guess it's the name but I keep wanting to call him Ashton. Not Vashtorr lol

Edited by INKS

I will detone I guess with the general opinion stream. I do not like it at all. Too lean and machine/flesh fusion loking more like an excuse than a design feature for me. It lacks of mechadendrills, robes and cogs. 

Should I be tempted by Dark Mech or equivalent I would focus more on Anacharis Scoria – The Xanophane Tyrant. Of course the latter is not a deamon I know, but I feel it captures better what I expect for a corrupted mechanicum force.

... but is really this new chap Vashtorr Dark Mechamicum afiliated, or is he another type of vessel of the Ruin?

Looks like the year's best miniature will go to Chaos again.

This is exactly what a mature setting needs - a gothic, horror inspired miniature that leads the way when sometimes models can come off cartoonish. 

There are miniatures that aren't even cartoon styled and this model makes them like positively child friendly in comparison. 

I'd like this to herald a new direction for the 40K style as it really blows the lines out of the water.

The soul forge and dark mech are more like a venn diagram than the same thing folks, the latter being science unbound rather than just Daemon artifice, it just turns out there's a lot of Daemon science to play with :D

Model is very cool, good to see a big Daemon with new vibes to the existing gods or Astartes :)

I don't think them being a Demigod would necessarily stop them from heralding a Dark Mechanicum release. If anything it seems like the kind of thing GW would come up with in order to try and kill speculation about Vashtorr being a 'early tease' of them. The Arkifane being a patron of the Dark Mechanicum would make a lot of sense, or even worshipped by them.

Incidentally, the WarCom article even says "Unsurprisingly, Warpsmiths and the Dark Mechanicum think he’s great."

Don't forget pretty much every picture we've seen Vastorr's been surrounded by Megavolt-Cultists... or at least, dudes who look them like.

Edited by Lord Marshal

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

Looks like the year's best miniature will go to Chaos again.

This is exactly what a mature setting needs - a gothic, horror inspired miniature that leads the way when sometimes models can come off cartoonish. 

There are miniatures that aren't even cartoon styled and this model makes them like positively child friendly in comparison. 

I'd like this to herald a new direction for the 40K style as it really blows the lines out of the water.

This is a properly sinister model. Really great work on this one. If they come out with more Dark Mech models in this same visual style they are going to have a new hit range for sure.

9 hours ago, Hellex_The_Thanatar said:

A tie in to Perturabo would be phenomenal. I could actually see Vash and Perty having a tense truce where their love of tinkering runs up against their opposing ambitious. 

I was wondering what the relationship is between Vashtorr and Sa'Ra'Um. They seem very similar in a lot of ways in that they are independent of the Big 4 and are closely tied to deamonic technology.

10 hours ago, Shinespider said:

Also, am I nuts? Weren't we expecting him to be female? Or is that another character?

The original Arks of Omen teaser had a female voice-over which led many people to assume this new character would be female. If it had just been an omniscient observer, the gender would be irrelevant but it sounded as though the speaker was talking to Abaddon. It could just be a mistake on our part or it could be another new character who will be introduced later in the campaign.