Vashtorr the Arkifane

There's that Deathwing Knight looking dude with that awesome banner in the last piece of artwork. I wonder if he'll end up as a miniature at some point, I'm a sucker for units with cool banners like that.

Edit: To add, he does subtly different, although it could just be artistic license and all. He's got a cool vambrace which I don't remember on current terminators, could be an early look at what some design changes could be for it?

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
looked closer at it

16 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

There's that Deathwing Knight looking dude with that awesome banner in the last piece of artwork. I wonder if he'll end up as a miniature at some point, I'm a sucker for units with cool banners like that.

Edit: To add, he does subtly different, although it could just be artistic license and all. He's got a cool vambrace which I don't remember on current terminators, could be an early look at what some design changes could be for it?

Could be the first we have seen of the new Terminator sculpt. Deathwing Ancients also cannot take power swords, so may be an indication of a new loadout. Something reminiscent of Horus Heresy Knights Cenobium.

55 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

Lovely artwork! The only thing that's bugging me is that the purity seals are apparently stuck on sideways by this chapter. 

It's Ye Holy Pivoting Purity Seal STC, heathen ;)

3 minutes ago, Ammonius said:

Rivals of the "Big 4" Chaos Gods? I feel like I have missed some lore in the past decade or so.

Wink wink, totally not Malice, wink wink ;)

14 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Could be the first we have seen of the new Terminator sculpt. Deathwing Ancients also cannot take power swords, so may be an indication of a new loadout. Something reminiscent of Horus Heresy Knights Cenobium.

That's what I'm thinking. There's a few more differences as I look further, but it's fairly subtle. I think the back part is less square, and there's almost like an Iron halo sort of thing. Just enough odd differences that would lend itself to what an update could look like.

Also, the Deathwing symbol looks like it is on the left shoulderpad, where normally the crux terminatus would be.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

13 minutes ago, Ammonius said:

Rivals of the "Big 4" Chaos Gods? I feel like I have missed some lore in the past decade or so.

Vashtorr is a powerful unaligned Daemon that has risen to demi-god like status thanks to control of the Soulforge. He's very new (First time he was mentioned was his preview last year), so you've not missed out on anything.

We've had very little written lore so far, only chunks of the Arks of Omen: Abaddon book and preview articles. The preview articles seem to beef Vashtorr (as they do with anything new) up quite a bit and compare him to the Big 4, in actuality, he's probably on par with Bel'akor or Abaddon which the AoO books seem to support

Call me conspiratorial, but I feel like the way this Vashtorr fella is being added into 40K, it's like the Chaos version of Cawl and we'll see some big changes coming.

40K Chaos could go anywhere, after all.

29 minutes ago, Ammonius said:

I’m going to just assume rival means he doesn’t like them and had his own interests, not that he is on par with them. 

Like he probably has an army and fights for territory. 

It would be like a town being a rival of a country. You know, it is a rival, but that doesn’t mean it’s powerful.

4 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

Call me conspiratorial, but I feel like the way this Vashtorr fella is being added into 40K, it's like the Chaos version of Cawl and we'll see some big changes coming.

Interesting ground to explore.

A lot of the materiel issues could be resolved. All it costs is a ton of souls! Good thing the imperium is full of those.

Edited by Khornestar

1. GW outright said and proved past 2 editions that art is allowed to have the oldschool creative freedom

2. This is boxart and is meant to represent the contents of said box, as boxset art always does (with some creative liberty).. and there are no new deathwing terminators in the box, but there are old ones in there.. thus, these obviously are artistic representations of those. With internal art I can imagine there could be some teasing (as has been before), but the fact that this is the boxart pretty much means this is 101% not a reference to new miniatures imho.

15 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

The Arks are sort of like Chaos' version of Primaris, from a "these came outta nowhere" standpoint.

Only instead of Vashtorr keeping them in reserve for 10,000 years for reasons, he and Abaddon capture and convert over a dozen Space Hulks into Arks in the span of a few months, then do who knows how many more after their initial wave.

That “iron halo” bit looks a lot like the halo part over the arch of the Terminator head/helm opening on the flail-bearer of the Deathwing Terminators.  It looks like it would be a very cool mini to have with that large sword on the banner and the wielded sword, but I’m not convinced it actually is an image of a new mini that might come out.

14 minutes ago, Khornestar said:

Interesting ground to explore.

A lot of the materiel issues could be resolved. All it costs is a ton of souls! Good thing the imperium is full of those.

What material issues? Chaos in 40k always seem to have an endless supply. Every chaos fleet is gigantic. There is always thousands of each marine legion all of a sudden.

1 hour ago, Ammonius said:

The Big 4 are all rivals, which is what this statement says:

Such is the value of Vashtorr’s industry that the four great Chaos Gods fear the consequences of moving against him – after all, he could simply begin arming their rivals in the Great Game.

Each of the Big 4 won’t move against him because then Vashtorr would begin arming the other three in greater numbers due to the offense.  (I think that’s what Scribe was saying earlier)

It’s not saying that there are other rivals out there, or that Vashtorr might be on their power level, or anything else.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

Just an interesting thought..

I had a feeling that before all these books Vashtorr was after Tulchulcha, the magic warp drive of the Dark Angels/the Lion. However, if this is true, the only question is why would Vashtoor want it - last I checked Tulchulcha was destroyed by Azrael, but I suspect that's now going to get retconned. Ironically, this would probably be one of the few times the retcon actually made sense, as it referred to Tulchulcha as a warp entity in that Gav Thorpe book, his power being effortless warp travel/time travel. That in itself would probably put him on the same level as Vashtorr, a demi-god, and that would be dire enough to awaken the Lion?

31 minutes ago, Skywrath said:

Just an interesting thought..

I had a feeling that before all these books Vashtorr was after Tulchulcha, the magic warp drive of the Dark Angels/the Lion. However, if this is true, the only question is why would Vashtoor want it - last I checked Tulchulcha was destroyed by Azrael, but I suspect that's now going to get retconned. Ironically, this would probably be one of the few times the retcon actually made sense, as it referred to Tulchulcha as a warp entity in that Gav Thorpe book, his power being effortless warp travel/time travel. That in itself would probably put him on the same level as Vashtorr, a demi-god, and that would be dire enough to awaken the Lion?

That's defiantly what's hes after, he wants they key, and the key is another name for one of those old one constructs:yes:

I'll be interested to learn about the encounter between the Arkifane and the Patriarchs of Ulixis (here) whenever that is published. They're an old Chapter, a Primogenitor named back in 2nd edition (in Codex: Ultramarines), but they don't have the plot armour of their predecessor, so things might not go well for them as the Arks of Omen campaign is revealed.

7 hours ago, Skywrath said:

Tulchulcha as a warp entity in that Gav Thorpe book, his power being effortless warp travel/time travel.

Not quite effortless warp travel, something more valuable. Tchulcha was 1/3 of the “device” which the Old Ones used to create the Webway. It cores through dimensions (including the Warp, the dimensions below the Warp, and Time).

Interesting stuff... But i tend to think (without offense) that some of you really try to read too much into the artwork, as mentioned it's not always a "reveal" and it's artistic licence... I understand you need to do something with your time :tongue: other than look at the grey shame pile (me included :laugh:)

I do look forward to finding out where Vashtor fits in...GW's lore is swiss cheese and it seems even they don't know where they're going with lore !! :rolleyes:

M. 

Minor warp powers have always kinda existed outside the big 4, but theyve not really been mentioned since the oooold days because there arent toy soldiers to sell for them. Theres a whole bunch of vague metaphysical underpinning for it but essentially the big four gods empower much more primal, powerful drives/emotions and possibly eat smaller "gods" and absorb their power to boot so even if everyone started believing in say, Justice, that nascent god would have to avoid existing gods too.

The various Eldar gods being good examples actually :D Khaine is essentially dead but a bunch of his Daemons are still around, whilst the other two are a varying degrees of small and sneaky/hidden. All the other gods got 'et, making baby Slannesh bigger in the process.

But yeah, theres potentially a lot to say about the subject :P 

12 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

The various Eldar gods being good examples actually :D Khaine is essentially dead but a bunch of his Daemons are still around, whilst the other two are a varying degrees of small and sneaky/hidden. All the other gods got 'et, making baby Slannesh bigger in the process.

Is Khaine dead? Or did the birth of Slaanesh simply altar the actions of the God of Murder/War/Violence and the Eldar just tell themselves that their God was eaten because they don’t want to admit they worshipped Khorne the whole time?