Pile of Shame - How big and tall is yours?

Bouargh

I can't even qualify mine as a pile of shame. I sold off most of the unused projects and left myself with a 60% painted Custodes army worth about 2500 points. Of that I have a Heavy Telemon waiting to be assembled and a unit of Wardens I plan on giving pyrite spears. 

I also have a 2000 point deathwatch army I'm 80% complete with. Sitting unassembled of this army is a Repulsor Executioner, Primaris Bike Chaplain, 6 Primaris Bikers, Primaris Techmarine, Assault Intercessors, and a unit of Eliminators.

I'd love to jump into Heresy V2, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated in Warhammer these days.

Mine can be seen from space.

I must admit most of it was from my hard core heavy converting days though and it's only recently that stuff still in it's plastic film has crept in. A lot of it should be in a museum it's that old.

I'm not sure when I started falling prey to FOMO but it's been a serious problem where it got to the point I had to convince myself the new stuff is not going to be new in six months so why not wait till then.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:17 AM, Jagus Kumkani said:

I'd love to jump into Heresy V2, but I'm having a hard time getting motivated in Warhammer these days.

That's a shame - in what aspect are you lacking motivation? Heresy has started up in my local gaming group and my motivation hs never been higher - first time in a while I've started a new army, and we're all in that arms race mode, where everything is different and the newly painted model of the week either dies t1 or wrecks face and changes the meta. 

Currently I have no GW models to build or paint (painted the last models from GW some weeks ago), but I do have 96 Frostgrave and Stargrave models to be built for imperial guard conversions. In terms of painting, I am at roughly 30% conclusion of my overall collection, which includes stuff from many other manufacturers.

I have a spreadsheet to track that stuff which generated the graphs below:

large.overall_miniature_status_28_11_2022_graph.png.4688a05c925ae95c2ac1eacf447caa58.png

For reference on the methodology, Infantry is foot soldiers and characters, Cavalry is mostly rough rider equivalents (mounted on horses or other creatures), Buildings corresponds to fortifications and terrain, Heavy Weapons are HWT, artillery and other similar groups and Vehicles include walkers, transports, tanks, air units and so on.

Bought is basically the number of models buildable directly from what was purchased, Converted represents stuff built beyond the box or scratch built, Built represents what was assembled in practice (converted plus the models from Bought that have been assembled) and finally Painted is everything that I finished painting.

11 hours ago, GreenScorpion said:

Currently I have no GW models to build or paint (painted the last models from GW some weeks ago), but I do have 96 Frostgrave and Stargrave models to be built for imperial guard conversions. In terms of painting, I am at roughly 30% conclusion of my overall collection, which includes stuff from many other manufacturers.

I have a spreadsheet to track that stuff which generated the graphs below:

large.overall_miniature_status_28_11_2022_graph.png.4688a05c925ae95c2ac1eacf447caa58.png

For reference on the methodology, Infantry is foot soldiers and characters, Cavalry is mostly rough rider equivalents (mounted on horses or other creatures), Buildings corresponds to fortifications and terrain, Heavy Weapons are HWT, artillery and other similar groups and Vehicles include walkers, transports, tanks, air units and so on.

Bought is basically the number of models buildable directly from what was purchased, Converted represents stuff built beyond the box or scratch built, Built represents what was assembled in practice (converted plus the models from Bought that have been assembled) and finally Painted is everything that I finished painting.

Am I reading that graph right? You have more than 4000 unfinished infantry models? I would think it’s no longer a case them making up a pile in your house, but you living in a corner of their house!?

10 hours ago, LameBeard said:

Am I reading that graph right? You have more than 4000 unfinished infantry models? I would think it’s no longer a case them making up a pile in your house, but you living in a corner of their house!?

No you are misreading it a bit, the built is the actual amount in the end, so to explain a bit better how the graph should be read, I will explain the values of the infantry in detail (the same applies to the others):

• I have bought 2271 infantry/character models from various sources and that is what is represented on the Bought bar of the graph;
  • I have made 442 converted infantry/character models either with purchased parts, by mixing several kits, using sculpted/moulded parts and so on, which is represented by the Converted bar in the graph;
  • At the moment 96 of the bought models are not built, so the Built bar represents the 442 Converted plus the 2175 already assembled from the Bought section, giving a total of 2617 Built models;
  • Of the 2617 built models, 1142 are painted so the Painted bar of the graph represents that, which means that around 40% of my infantry models are currently finished (I might go back in the future for some decals and basing, but currently painting is the last step of my process).

I am at almost 3000 infantry models in total and my collection currently occupies part of 3 different bookshelves and a few stackable boxes with drawers. It is far from occupying a single room in the house, but it does occupy a large area and I certainly dread the thought of having to move them somewhere in the future, something which is hopefully not planned for the foreseeable future.

Also over 90% of my infantry models are IG sized miniatures, so they occupy a lot less space than for example space marines.

I painted a lot this year, so the unpainted backlog was reduced a lot, but for reference here is an army picture from earlier this year (end of March):
gallery_87231_16662_198265.jpg

The full army would likely occupy the full table if I took the picture now.

So, I do not have pictures as I do not have a single hobby corner/shelf but rather they are scattered around my room. I have over a dozen "projects" of varying size (this is only counting the stuff I have with me, as I moved from my parents' house 4 years ago and could not take all of my minis with me). At least half of these projects have some miniatures built and/or finished, but none of them are anywhere close to completion:

- A bunch (30-40) of truescale and primaris marines for the War of The False Primarch project, orchestrated by frater Apologist.

- A space marine army combining primaris and firstborn marines (mostly the Indomitus boxset, a couple extra primaris kits, and a few firstborn veterans)

- Black Templars (the launch box, a couple extra characters)

- Sisters of Battle (launch box + 3-4 extra kits)

- Solar Auxilia proxy, using the Daughters of the Rose line from Anvil Industry and some other 3rd party vehicles

- Eldar army, using old minis from my brother, a Start collecting box and the eldar side of Eldritch Omens

- Death Korps of Krieg (I got a good deal on a small bundle of about 35 minis and a macharius)

- A big HH Imperial Fists army, and a secondary Salamanders/Imperial Heralds project (this includes at least 2 Calth boxes, a Prospero box, an Age of Darkness box, and a smattering of FW and GW extra units)

- Necromunda Escher and Orlock gangs

- Adeptus titanicus maniple (4 titans if I recall correctly)

- Age of Sigmar Daughters of Khaine (had a friend collecting AoS that convinced me, but never got around to actually build anything other than a kitbashed character)

- Blackstone Fortress and Cursed City board games, both of which mostly untouched, except for some skeletons and zombies I used for D&D games.

I might be moving again in the coming months, so I should consider just selling some of these projects as it is unrealistic to finish most of them any time soon. This does not include the growing D&D mini collection.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:34 AM, Xenith said:

That's a shame - in what aspect are you lacking motivation? Heresy has started up in my local gaming group and my motivation hs never been higher - first time in a while I've started a new army, and we're all in that arms race mode, where everything is different and the newly painted model of the week either dies t1 or wrecks face and changes the meta. 

It seems there's always changing with the meta. I haven't really played since 7th edition. A few games of 8th here and there but the over bloating of FAQs and erratas with 8th and 9th turned me completely off to anything tabletop. If anything it was the group I played in that had competitive heavy players. I'm all about narrative or casual play, though if there were a 30k campaign at my FLGS I'd probably jump on it. I also don't have a ton of time to build and paint and it feels like a chore to me now that I'm established in my career these days. But hopefully I can begin to pick it back up.