Thousand Sons MKVI Upgrades

I like these, they're cool. I like that some of the upgrade heads are still markedly beakies, although these ones have a little more detail to them than the UM ones.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Points for doing 3 variants instead of two - the difference isn't just "gem or no gem" - the thing the gem is embedded in, is shaped differently on the rightmost batch.

On the minus side - no variation below the eyes at all as far as I can tell. Kind of like the Imperial Fists ones, but in reverse (their 3 helmet batches all have identical appearances above the eyes, and are all very slightly different below).

I think they're pretty okay. They're consistent with the two other Thousand Sons upgrades by having the little gem- psychic ring- thingy, but on a beakie this time which makes them nicely interchangeable. 

I'll give them this much credit - there's more variation than on the White Scars helmets.

Given that the red stuff is entirely paint and not actual difference in shape:

MK VI Heads

"crests leaning left" vs "crests leaning right" is a lot more underwhelming a variation than the gems and shapes of forehead decoration of the Thousand Sons ones.

The TS helmets are really a bit...blah? They all look almost identical, even the sergeant's whose crest is ever so slightly bigger. Compared to what we have already for the XVth, can't help but be disappointed in these (then again, I feel like with the majority of the MK VI helmets, they're kinda just phoning it in anyways).

I will say though that the shoulder pads are absolutely grand and I really like them.

There's a little more extra detail on the sergeant/praetor than just the white crest being bigger - the headband has a couple of extra lines on it (marking an extra component), the gem is slightly larger and has a gold ring around it, and there's a couple of extra helmet slits in between the eyes as well.

I'd agree that it's not a lot of extra detail though.

I think where most people divide is on the balance of how much 'legion' vs 'mark' they want in the upgrade kits. As someone that is big on it being distinct to the legion? These are fine but just that.

The shoulders are great though, like that they kept the distinct trim.

Will probably pick up a few.

9 minutes ago, StrangerOrders said:

The shoulders are great though, like that they kept the distinct trim.

Yup - I think, timeline-wise, distinctive trim goes right back to Mark II Thousand Sons:

TSHH.jpg

even if model-wise, there's a bit of a lack of it on anything but characters and post-heresy ones.

1 hour ago, Iron Lord said:

Yup - I think, timeline-wise, distinctive trim goes right back to Mark II Thousand Sons:

TSHH.jpg

even if model-wise, there's a bit of a lack of it on anything but characters and post-heresy ones.

They used to sell them but FW got rid of them, they might get a MtO rerun if we are lucky.

3 hours ago, Iron Lord said:

Points for doing 3 variants instead of two - the difference isn't just "gem or no gem" - the thing the gem is embedded in, is shaped differently on the rightmost batch.

On the minus side - no variation below the eyes at all as far as I can tell. Kind of like the Imperial Fists ones, but in reverse (their 3 helmet batches all have identical appearances above the eyes, and are all very slightly different below).

Look carefully under the TS eyes. There is *slight* variation for the “eye liner” marks under the eyes.

3 minutes ago, Arkangilos said:

Look carefully under the TS eyes. There is *slight* variation for the “eye liner” marks under the eyes.

That might just be the variation in the angle at which the helmets are pointing towards the viewer. I see two clear vertical lines on all of them, and it's hard to see much detail behind that.

Seen in profile, the marine with a helmet taken from the rightmost set of 3 has a zigzag detail to the outer corner of the eye - but I can't say for sure that the other two batches of three lack that zigzag, or that their vertical eye lines, are different lengths from those of the rightmost batch.