Beat The Backlog! Hobby decluttering challenge 2022/2023

Go to solution Solved by Beaky Brigade,

I've been debating whether to join this or not. I have quite the stack of unpainted stuff and to fully realise this is quite daunting. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and  join. I have nearly finished well over 10k of heresy dark angels, which is something that I never thought I would get close to.  If I can do it with them then I can do it with the rest of my back log :smile:

I need to take stock but, as I partake in the 12 months hobby event I will add my vow from there here;

I, Dwango pledge to reduce my total leadweight 2904 by 16 through the toil of painting

Edited by Dwango

It's great to see continued interest in the challenge! It's almost March so a great time to sign up and pledge :D

As for my own update... It's coming soon and it's going to be short. Basically I've done a lot of test models and paint striped them. I have not bought any new models or given them away so I'm going steady...

22 hours ago, Beaky Brigade said:

It's great to see continued interest in the challenge! It's almost March so a great time to sign up and pledge :D

As for my own update... It's coming soon and it's going to be short. Basically I've done a lot of test models and paint striped them. I have not bought any new models or given them away so I'm going steady...

Better then me, I ain't looking too good this month. More on that later.

Since my last update I have added two Imperium deliveries :oops: BUT having finished up (mostly) my current commission (20+ models), I should actually have time to paint some of my own models. I did manage to get the base colours on three of my Conquest / Imperium Aggressors, so there's a pretty good chance at seeing them completed this month, and I'm hoping to find time to Build all of the Imperium stuff I have to date (In Oz, just received the 1st AdMech kataphon).

So GW's rapid release schedule this month hurt. I had pre-order the boarding patrol and strike force once I knew about them cause I can use the whole box, same with the single release of the kasrkins. All these and an order of ambots was done months ago. Didn't expect all of them to hit in a single month.

Plus I had to get a few things for a fantasy league and to make the discount card I had worth it picked up the White Scars army box that the store still had.

In the end it was not a good month, at least the strike force counts to March (picking it up saturday).

At least for the next few months I have 0 pre-orders so only the Imperium mag issues coming in and I'm still painting a few units a month.

This month i can only show off the two vehicles I did, chunky as one is. 

20230226_1359591.jpg.e35a46fa6385f32f0a87eded0fa4c3f0.jpg

I did also paint up five monsters for the fantasy league and some objective markers for boarding action, but those being terrain they weighed pretty light, four objectives was 2 oz. 

Plans for the month are to drop at least 30 pts, which considering i have 11 guard models primed and started on the base coat already I'm at least on a good head start. After that I'm going to finish off the few character models that have been on the primed stage for a bit to clear my desk before finishing off the last of the votann models I have.

Now for the numbers:
Weight Lost: 34
Weight Gained: 81
Net Weight change: +47
Total (est) Weight: 2243

So, I've edited my original post to add in my leadweight. I belive this to be higher as I've had to guesstimate some of it. A very helpful 3 year old in tow required me to be quick about it. 

As I start whittling it down the full figure may alter. 

On 2/2/2023 at 9:13 AM, Beaky Brigade said:

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 331 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 315 by the dawn of April, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading

OK, my target for April is the same as March, tldr, I didn't buy any new minis and I didn't get round to selling any or finishing the painting of any. More test models galore! 

See you April 1st and that's no joke! 

Good luck everyone and stay strong! 

Edited by Beaky Brigade

• 4 weeks later...

Hello there, returning member here. I recently found a gaming group in my area and now I'm getting back into the hobby. This challenge might be just the thing for me to get going again :smile:

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, Icepick, bear a Leadweight of 25 on my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 22 by the dawn of next month, through the toil of painting.

It's neither a huge Leadweight, nor a big pledge. But you know, set achievable goals :wink: My target for this month is to complete one mini per week, for a total of 4. That sounds doable. However I have not yet decided on which type of bases I want to do, let alone a painting scheme for them. But I do want to get started on the minis right now, so for now I will count minis without bases as reduction of 0.75.

Forgot to post it here, but here is my March Completions. I'll need to redo my Leadweight to account for the new Imperium deliveries.

17 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Here we go, some Last Minute Completions for myself,

3 Aggressors,

PSX_20230401_020428.jpg

1 Contemptor Dreadnaught,

PSX_20230401_020220.jpg

PSX_20230401_020129.jpg

PSX_20230401_020154.jpg

and as a fan of Arkley's Consecrated Blades, I've had a go and painted a Lieutenant,

PSX_20230401_020308.jpg

PSX_20230401_020355.jpg

PSX_20230401_020331.jpg

I've also been working on my Conquest Repulsor, so I'll be pushing that as an Overtime Completion.

Another month whizzes by! I've done a large amount of building and converting, but no painting as of yet unfortunately, so my total is going steady. I did buy some vehicle upgrade parts for tanks I'm building. I'm not sure if I'll count them as they aren't models in their own right and don't weight much. 

Stand by for a full update soon... 

@Grotsmasha Great minis as always, the contemptor goes well with the primaris marines :)

@icepick welcome back to the hobby and to the challenge! I'm envious of your starting Leadweight, you may have a good chance of getting to 0 if you desire it :) 

So I lost steam this month and failed (again) in my effort to not add to my growing weight. Hopefully with the local league starting up I'll have that push to get more done. 

Forecast for additions is just the Sisters boarding patrol (26 pts) with the Imperium set only being maybe two bikes (6? pts) So light thankfully.

Plan for this month is to get my army for the league painted up (there is a painting part of the event) and it is looking to be worth 36 weight. So IF I follow the plan I should finally have a weight loss month. I also have 2 vehicles and 3 bikes in process of painting, so if I finish those after the league army I'll be doing good.

Last month got 11 infantry and a vehicle done. Also traded 3 kataphrans (bikes) for a ghost ark. the big hit was the Imperium Mag which i kept all the models and it was a sisters sprue plus a Stalker and I had the new marine battle force, that and the ghost ark and my gain was over twice what little I painted up.  

20230312_2013101.thumb.jpg.ebf337427ef1da5c9e9b65f1c4c17ab1.jpg

20230324_1414371.thumb.jpg.1fc1f7f04c2ab79ba3657f7debe8c24f.jpg

Leadweight Update for March:
Weight Loss: 20
Weight Gained: 40
Net Gained/Loss: +20
Current Weight: 2263

• 2 weeks later...

Shoutout to @Xenith for sharing the Pile of Potential website on their BLOG, it's a spreadsheet type system specifically designed to organise our "piles of shame", and I've spent the last 10-12hrs setting up my pile in categories, and sub-categories, and boxed games, and hot-damn it was a real slug, BUT going forward, keeping track is going to be much better.

And as such, 

Starting Leadweight: 1,136

Reduced Leadweight: 78

Current Leadweight: 1,453

Some of the increased Leadweight is poor counting within my original tally, Imperium Collection has added it's fair share, and lastly I went All-In on Marvel United's S3.

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, Grotsmasha, bear a Leadweight of 1,453 on my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this  by a leadweight value of 20 or more points by the dawn of May 2023, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

Edited by Grotsmasha

Annoyingly the forum has eaten a lengthy post I was working on so I'll keep it short tonight, and roll over my April target to May, as nothing changed in March due to concentrating on building over painting:

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 331 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 315 by the dawn of May, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading

Things are looking better this month, I have one model on ebay, 2 given away to a friend and I have finished building 20 'unaligned' (AKA 'traitor') troopers. 10 from the blooded kill team set, 9 from blackstone fortress and 1 free mini of the month cadian with some spare blooded bits on him:

20230410_135653.thumb.jpg.bb7d84c5f1ff814671ac6acce27bf754.jpg

As these fellows are neither imperial or chaos there was a lot of work involved removing chaos symbols, and converting a few of the BSF models to hold lasguns instead of pistols and CC weapons. Two of the BSF models had a weird 'rag and bone man' vibe going which didn't fit my theme so I basically had to remove most of their backs and sides! Basically I like the rugged 'punk' look but my army won't be chaos worshipping and will include a variety of models, human or otherwise :eek:

20230401_191415.thumb.jpg.39dd72dba204c3eb49442ab2ee28a696.jpg20230401_191409.thumb.jpg.50eac92a9f376951bf703bd44d2bb350.jpg

Ultimately I'm not sure if it's worth it for expendable line troops like this but they are certainly unique, and I've kept my pledge of not buying new models and making do with what I have!

Running out of skulls I bought the citadel skull set, as each model in my army will have at least one skull on the base.

Once these are finished I hope to at least make a matching command squad, but I'm thinking my army will exploit the theme to have a variety of weird and wonderful models fulfilling the traditional guard roles, and these aren't the only things I've been building this year...

I'm glad to see everyone else's progress so far. @Grotsmasha, I haven't had time to really check that out yet but it does seem helpful to have something to remind you of what you've completed and given away as we've all become more productive!

Edited by Beaky Brigade

7 hours ago, Beaky Brigade said:

Ultimately I'm not sure if it's worth it for expendable line troops like this but they are certainly unique

As you say, they're unique, and there is definitely a certain joy in seeing a unique army (let alone having one) as it's clear it's had a lot of effort put into it, so I'd say it's definitely worth it :smile: 

• 2 weeks later...

I maybe forgot to update here, but here is my April update. I didn't quite hit the 20 leadweight reduction I was aiming for, but I got a good halfway there, I gave Brother Nathan's 2hr Paint Challenge a go with a Deathwing Terminator, then 10 Skitarii, 1 Kataphon, and one ATV,

On 4/25/2023 at 10:50 PM, Grotsmasha said:

Count me in :thumbsup:  Honestly, I'm probably going to take up this Challenge a few times,

PSX_20230425_224413.jpg

On 4/26/2023 at 12:52 AM, Grotsmasha said:

ANNNNNNNDDDDD Done, as you can see I ran out of time to get the base back to black, but that's it, otherwise pretty happy for 2hrs work,

PSX_20230426_004734.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

PSX_20230426_004801.jpg

PSX_20230426_004823.jpg]

PSX_20230426_004847.jpg

PSX_20230426_004911.jpg

On 5/1/2023 at 11:49 AM, Grotsmasha said:

So I allowed myself to get distracted on my holidays by purchasing a Redemptor, Heavy Intercessors, Outiders, an ATV, and a BT Marshal for a DA conversion, INSTEAD of painting my AdMech as planned. I did however, paint 1/2 the Skitarii and 1/6 of the Kataphons, the remaining models are all at 50% or so and *should* be my focus for May, but we'll see.

PSX_20230501_113915.jpg

PSX_20230501_113834.jpg

23 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

If you've seen my thread over in the Dark Angels sub-forum, you'll know I've been working on a ATV conversion, and today the motivation struck and I got to it,

PSX_20230502_000603.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

PSX_20230502_000632.jpg

PSX_20230502_000649.jpg

PSX_20230502_000813.jpg

PSX_20230502_001604.jpg

Great to see some updates and progess for April, how has everyone else gotten on? Just a quick initial update from me... 

Modest progess with painting on my part, a lot of wips and frustration from the guardsmen and taking a break from painting 40k models for a chaos pact blood bowl team. For some reason I can get behind evil more in a humours context rather than a grim dark one. Perhaps it's the industrialised nature of warfare and slaughter in 40k?

I'm actually quite pleased with this test model... But he feels like an iron warriors militiamen, which wasn't the concept of the army. I'm learning a lot about these models by trying out colour schemes, but it's really painful and I'm increasingly drawn to "codex" schemes to save me from frustration. The hardest thing about choosing your own scheme is working out when it's 'done' with no reference. Ultimately I love building but not painting. 

20230420_002209.thumb.jpg.d288a7851714536a68009cae3ee55836.jpg

20230420_002113.thumb.jpg.8defac0bbc1f93be5e929a925faaa87f.jpg

Next up, the Cadian 8th scheme but with graffiti all over the armour... 

Official progess for April;

Models finished: 1 leadweight 

Models sold: 3 leadweight 

Models given away: 2 leadweight 

Starting leadweight 331, target 315, actual leadweight 325... 

May Target:

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, BeakyBrigade, bear a Leadweight of 325 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 315 by the dawn of June, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading. 

Hopefully I'll do some thread analysis at some point to see how we're getting on over time! 

Edited by Beaky Brigade

So it seems last month I inadvertantly over-represented my Leadweight, because, well maths?

The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, Grotsmasha, bear a Leadweight of 1,389 upon my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 1,379 by the dawn of June, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading. 

I'm aiming for a10 Leadweight reduction this month, but have picked up 1 new commission (with potential for a second on come 10th), so my personal hobby time will be reduced.

So last month I did get all I wanted done, but still made a good showing of it.

I got my league army fully painted by the end of April as I wanted, not the originla force planned, but one that seems to work.

Added weight was a little off since I had to get the Sisters boarding patrol. The deal was too good and it pretty much finished up the planned 2k, just need a tank and a squad of nun-dams and I'm done. Plus I also grabbed the Battletech Alpha Strike since I started back that rabbit hole. Luckily they are only about the size of terminators and just as easy to paint. I literally had the three i planned for the campaign I joined primed and painted in one night.

I still have the last of my Votann to do, thier like half finished cause I wanted to focus on the eldar force to get it battle ready asap. So going back to those will give me a nice semi-easy completion for May. Plus I started on the rest of my personal mechs from the starter set so that will be a evening and done.

Pictures of the eldar army, including a webway gate cause why not.

20230429_1557211.thumb.jpg.a5f9258bf7792f0d6a16d2120ff08ad5.jpg

So for April the numbers are:
Weight Lost: 45
Weight Gained: 43
Net Gain/Loss: -2
Current Weight: 2261

I actually lost weight for once. WOOT!

Goal for May is to just drop 10 weight.

Forecast: 21 points via Imperium mag and possible purchase of votann killteam from friend. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully it is not too late to join, so here goes.

“The adepts of the Administratum have completed their cogitations and I, Prim, bear a Leadweight of 934* on my mortal soul. I pledge to make every effort to reduce this to 914 by the dawn of JULY**, through the toil of painting and the catharsis of philanthropy and rogue trading.

*This is actually only for the marines in my collection, as they are easily accessible and well organized. I do have some Xenos, Chaos and other Imperial stuff (plus a few thousand historical/fantasy minis), but they are all mixed up and stashed away where it would be a pain to audit them. Plus I kind of want to focus on marines for the time being.

**There are only a couple of days left this month, so I'm going to pledge early for next month if that is okay?