Wispy's Deathwolves IV - Wispy's Champions of Fenris - 2024-02-07

Wispy

Decided to start a new thread for new endeavors. One thing I have been amassing the pieces for for a while is kitbash I wanted to do on Canis Wolfborn. The goofy, ill-proportioned first stab at Thunderwolf cavalry was always awkward looking and looked even more awkward with the release of plastic Thunderwolves and then again with updated Primaris warriors over the years.

pZ7Vpu4.jpg

cRo8qFY.jpg

I zeroed in on Freki from Forgeworld's Wolfkin models as the beast with the most appropriate stature to be Fangir. I also traded my Warhammer+ models to get Canis' original mini, which I carved the crap out of. The only things I used from the rider were his backpack ornament and the backs of the lightning claws (which I combined with the new Black Templar lightning claws bitz to give a modern, Primaris look). For the wolf, I carved off all the armour bitz and transposed them onto Geri. All the sawing, carving and sanding was a nightmare but I was really satisfied with the final result and can't wait to paint it.

And what of the Geri model that came with the Wolfkin kit?

UrtZsfx.jpg

SSWqyql.jpg

Well, it was driving me nuts that the Deathwolves #2 guy looked way more imposing and impressive than his Jarl. I decided to take the Primaris Harald I kitbashed last year (using Ragnar) and put him on Geri. This one took a lot less work - I just took the jaw from Icetooth and put it on Geri and did some reposing from Harald. I was worried all the armour on Canis and his wolf would make Harald still look unimpressive but I think the fears were unfounded. The ascending, rising pose is the perfect contrast to Canis's hunkered down one), making Harald look the part as the inspiring leader with Canis as his intimidating, righthand man (the 'muscle,' if you will).

Edited by Wispy

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:34 PM, Torin said:

@Wispy any update on the WIP. would love to see those wolves painted.

Cheers,

Torin.

I'll probably just drop photos of the finished models in a week or so. I finished painting Harald, Icetooth, and Fangir today with rider Canis left to go.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finished some more Indomitus conversions, this time with some Blood Claws and Ulrik the Slayer.

Primaris Ulrik I've been wanting to do for awhile and while others have done it better (@Dried!), I still had a bunch of fun.

For the Assault Intercessors, I tried really hard to capture the classic, wild Blood Claw vibe with them. I got eight more to paint, might be forever before i get to them.

LQPzsav.jpg

aoNxVSn.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Prot said:

Amazing work. How hard was that to do? I such at conversions and I don't own Grimnar so am unfamiliar with the parts.... it looks great though. Can't wait to see it painted.

it was a tricky kitbash.

first off, if i had to start over I would use one of the regular Leviathan terminators instead of the captain. The captain's cape covers the models butt so when I removed it i had to rebuild Grimnar's butt. 

I wouldn't attempt it if aren't comfortable with a hobby knife (i hold the model with cut resistant gloves to get away with doing stupid things). I was really did set on transposing all of Grimnar's iconography - his chest design, his leg crux, and his Belt, so i was almost full on witling to get those pieces off.

The other challenge is because the base Leviathan model is bigger and the shoulders sit lower on them, all grimnar's pelt had to extended in certain places to fill gaps. I'm pretty comfortable green stuffing fur so this wasn't a deal breaker for me.

The left shoulder pad was one piece with the cape, so I had to cut that off in order to drop it to where the arm would sit. That created a new gap, which again, I filled with fur.

image.png.54c91a7ee2d22ffb8b1bfc512737ca60.png

image.png.4182fa096cffffc2b52a16e5fda7390c.png

image.png

Thankfully, the arms were pretty much the same scale so I was able to just re-use them from Grimnar. His head required a little trimming to fit but that was pretty smooth too.

Edited by Wispy

Thanks for the details on that. I guess that confirms it... I won't be trying that conversion! lol

That is a some fantastic work you did. The thing about using a regular Leviathan termie is they just don't look as ... grand or as huge. GW really made that captain stand out.