Guard win GT

I think this style of build perfectly summarizes the top units for the new ‘dex. 

Hopefully GW takes note that letting Guard keep the indirect buff and AoC is a good idea. If we lose those, I think you’ll see a mono-build faction: Born Soliders on CCS, Leontis, Russes, and Kasrkin. When those (inevitably) get nerfed, we could be a 40-44% win rate faction all over again. 

2 hours ago, LtColKool said:

I think this style of build perfectly summarizes the top units for the new ‘dex. 

Hopefully GW takes note that letting Guard keep the indirect buff and AoC is a good idea. If we lose those, I think you’ll see a mono-build faction: Born Soliders on CCS, Leontis, Russes, and Kasrkin. When those (inevitably) get nerfed, we could be a 40-44% win rate faction all over again. 

I’ll never use born soldiers. It’s such a boring, lame, and uninspired way to build an army.

6 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

I’ll never use born soldiers. It’s such a boring, lame, and uninspired way to build an army.

Maybe so, but I think from a competitive/tournament perspective, you simply can't beat the output. It buffs every unit in your army, every time they shoot. Maybe if they changed Born Soldiers to one of the two doctrines you could choose? 

5 hours ago, jarms48 said:

This, at first I was surprised this was 2000 points of Guard.

After 5 russes in the list, there ain't much left to play with. 

For those who don't watch the vid:

HQ

Command Squad w/ Ogryn Bodyguard

Command Squad w/ Finial of the Nemrodesh 1st

Tank Commander w/ Gatekeeper, Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

TROOPS

3x Infantry squad w/ double plas, vox

ELITES

3x Kasrkin w/ various loadouts, one w/ Barbicant's key 

FAST ATTACK

3x Scout Sentinel w/ chainblade and plasma

HEAVY SUPPORT

4x Leman Russ Executioner w/ Lascannon, Heavy Bolters

Thanks Lt for the list breakdown

I'm surprised you can win an event with a list like that. Fairly sure up until this point and as far back as 8th you couldn't have pulled it off with that. 

Interesting... 

Ah, welp, here it is – that sure does look like pretty much exactly the Guard list we’re all slightly worried about. Three units of Kasrkin to buff to the gills and unleash frankly traumatic amounts of damage once Solar buffs them up, plasma Russes and a Gatekeeper Tank Commander for ranged blasting, and infantry and Sentinels to fill. Also, a Deathstrike, which may or may not be a meme (jury still slightly out) but definitely puts the fear of Missile into the opponent. The damage output from this army is extreme if it can draw a bead on the enemy, and the Russes are very durable in response (and while I don’t think they’re likely to keep AoC in the long term, all this list has to do is spend 25 extra points on Armoured Tracks to get the same deal where it really matters). I like the use of an Ogryn Bodyguard to make one of the Command Squads much more durable as well, as this helps a lot with locking in Inflexible Command and Boots on the Ground.

Sounds like they were using the dataslate and new book. So possibly misrepresentation of what the actual book might be. Although it seems to imply the Karskin are doing a lot of the heavy lifting. 

They used AoC at the event, but nothing else from the dataslate. Player said in the comments it didn't come up much at all, but considering it might have discouraged shots I think that's a bit hard to say overall.

The list lives and dies on being able to blast an opponent away before they can take out all your infantry. And will heavily rely on overcharged Lascells. Definitely not a bad plan.

I expect Kasrkin will be the first unit to see a points increase, possibly before most of get our hands on them when they're released individually. XD

The army beat a very diverse field of opponents. That's a good sign.

Executioners and Gatekeeper all the way. But, as much as I'd love armour of contempt to stay, I'm surprised the tourney allowed it. 

I'd love to at least purchase kasrkin and paint them before the nerf happens. Interesting to see no redundancy in movement outside of barbicant's key - I was thinking of taking one squad in a chimera (or a taurox with orders now in the command phase). Well, I suppose the one squad had recon operators' regiment for that 6" start of the first battle round move. So that one could pop into cover or maneuver up the field a bit. The other squad taking vet guerillas makes sense for some durability boost. Heirloom weapons makes sense on the barbicant's key for extra range in case of screening.  

I'm interested in the relic Finial of the Nemrodesh 1st myself - but (dumb question here) I did not understand the entry in the codex - does it replace the regimental standard rules, or add on to them. I'd hate to lose re-roll 1's to W. 

The command squad seems powerful in durability. I even am thinking about Nork for the improved statline. 

Time to embrace a new army design philosophy. 

4 hours ago, LtColKool said:

Maybe so, but I think from a competitive/tournament perspective, you simply can't beat the output. It buffs every unit in your army, every time they shoot. Maybe if they changed Born Soldiers to one of the two doctrines you could choose? 

After 5 russes in the list, there ain't much left to play with. 

I agree it’s strong but it’s just so lame, with no real lore or fluff explanation. Just a rule for the sake of making the army strong.

Ooh, I’ll have to check the wording once I get the codex in my hands. My understanding is that a unit with a standard is eligible to take this Relic. Which, to me, meant the rules were additive. 

It is 100% time to embrace a new army design philosophy. I think our codex has been so old for so long that the transition to “the new” feels weird.

In short, the new philosophy is this: take Russes and Kasrkin; then choose HQs, Relics, WL Traits, and Stratagems to create a couple specific “special rule stacks” to buff those units. 

1 hour ago, Harrowmaster said:

Having gone through the dex I thought Kasrkin were the clear winners by a mile. They have great synergy with orders and strats (and can get more through warrior elite) and 100 points including special weapons is very good value. 

They are great, I also like the Scion’s for the deep strike ability, think I will be taking one 10mm squad of them alongside my two Kasrkin.

16 minutes ago, TCC said:

They are great, I also like the Scion’s for the deep strike ability, think I will be taking one 10mm squad of them alongside my two Kasrkin.

Deepstrike is nice but I can't see how they're more expensive than Kasrkin with the loss of born soldiers. 

My personal list uses a Dorn, 3 LRs and a Tank commander. Even without AOC, get used to it. Russ's are just that cheap, squadron and hard to deal with in numbers. This coupled with mortars makes the list fun for me. I don't know about my opponents. I don't have points for a death strike but if I did I would take it. You'll either punish your opponent for staying in cover or it'll force them out of cover. Both are fine with me.

Edited by INKS

On 12/7/2022 at 9:13 AM, duz_ said:

Thanks Lt for the list breakdown

I'm surprised you can win an event with a list like that. Fairly sure up until this point and as far back as 8th you couldn't have pulled it off with that. 

Interesting... 

Dan is also one of the best players in that area. He is a regular on flying monkey podcast. Can't wait for the next episode, I'm sure this will get discussed.  

5 hours ago, mertbl said:

Dan is also one of the best players in that area. He is a regular on flying monkey podcast. Can't wait for the next episode, I'm sure this will get discussed.  

I'll have to try to catch that podcast. I'd be very curious to hear his perspective on how the matches.