Coils of the Hydra - Rewards of Treachery - does this fulfil the limitations?

Valkyrion

Hypothetically - I have 3 squads of Iron Havocs which must be deployed on the battlefield, so I therefore must have at least 3 Alpha Legion units starting in reserve.

I pick a Tactical Support Squad (1), with attached Apothecary (2) in a Termite (3).

The rest of my Alpha Legion can deploy on the board.

I'm 99% sure I'm correct, but it seems my reading comprehension has let me down on other matters so now I'm double checking everything!

Edited by Valkyrion

Anything that is not selected as part of Rewards of Treachery must begin in reserve.

Pg 333 Liber Hereticus:

"A detachment using this rite of war must include a number of units selected without the use of Rewards of Treachery special rule equal to or greater than than the number of units selected using the Rewards of Treachery rule. These units must begin the battle in reserves."

Okay, thanks.

If I include Alpharius and give him Deep Strike, I could then give 3 other units Deep Strike too due to his special rule, and then keep my support squad/apothecary/termite set up, correct?

But Alpharius special rule to let himself and 3 units infiltrate wouldn't bypass the reserves restriction of coils, also correct?

4 hours ago, Valkyrion said:

If I include Alpharius and give him Deep Strike, I could then give 3 other units Deep Strike too due to his special rule, and then keep my support squad/apothecary/termite set up, correct?

As the termite starts in reserve, with the squad+apoc, it meets the requirements of all stolen units having to be in reserve, as it says in the coils rule. You don't need alpharius to do this either, you just say "these are in reserve" but you have to specify whether they are just walking on, outflanking, deep striking, or subterrainian assaulting. 

Coils, IMO is dead this edition, as it is. The restrictions are way to much, and there is no tangible benefit other than being allowed to take 3 of the same RoT units...which then have to face down your opponent's entire army. I guess unless you take 30 Siege Tyrants?

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be a restriction on allies, and just the coils detachment has to start in reserve, so you could bring an allied master of signals to help your dudes arrive on time.

10 minutes ago, Xenith said:

As the termite starts in reserve, with the squad+apoc, it meets the requirements of all stolen units having to be in reserve, as it says in the coils rule. You don't need alpharius to do this either, you just say "these are in reserve" but you have to specify whether they are just walking on, outflanking, deep striking, or subterrainian assaulting. 

Coils, IMO is dead this edition, as it is. The restrictions are way to much, and there is no tangible benefit other than being allowed to take 3 of the same RoT units...which then have to face down your opponent's entire army. I guess unless you take 30 Siege Tyrants?

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be a restriction on allies, and just the coils detachment has to start in reserve, so you could bring an allied master of signals to help your dudes arrive on time.

Hehe, or 3x10 Gal Vorbak with 2x powerfists and meltaguns in each squad. Or 3x10 Fulmentarus terminators, perfectly moral thing to do against fury of the ancients lists

Unfortunately I think the Rule as Intended for this Rite was that for each Reward unit you had to have at least one Alpha legion unit in reserve but could have more if you wanted to... however this is not what is written resulting in Coils being terrible for various reasons, one of which is being tabled turn 1 if your Rewards units are killed off before your Reserves get to come on.

5 hours ago, RoadRunna said:

I think the Rule as Intended for this Rite was that for each Reward unit you had to have at least one Alpha legion unit in reserve but could have more if you wanted to... however this is not what is written resulting in Coils being terrible

The rite as written makes thematic sense - e.g. a bunch of Alphas dressed up as blood angels, some ultramarines get close to say Hi brother, the 'blood angels' start firing on them then a bunch of Alpha legion show up. This is basically 100% that fluff from Chondrax with the marines dressed as white scars on the ridge.

Unfortunately, it's terrible game wise.