Arks of Omen video strongly hints at Dark Angels

The trailer says the inverted daemon represents Chaos's tendency to turn on itself. Possibly the different Chaos factions that are coming out have different agendas that do not necessarily align.

6 minutes ago, painting.for.my.sanity said:

Daemon (inversed) today ...so, like a Primarch?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/arks-of-omen/

"And yet, Chaos is fickle, ever turning against itself"

image.png

Two Daemons stabbing each other. Be'lakor will show up at the Rock and interfere with Vashtorr's plan to become a minor Chaos god. Because if he can't become one, no one else can.

I actually dont think its Belakor..

I have a more story theories to go with those, might write it out later or not, but I think Vashtorr is either besieging the rock with the aid of the Fallen or with Deathguard or both. And I think the deathguard do the betraying here. ( I think this card references chaos in general betraying each other, not just daemons betraying daemons.)

1. one part of the theory is that the WD article said each of the 3 middle books is a seperate story about seperate Arks, and I think its roughly the 3 standalone chaos legions their arks.. even if the title character is not part of that legion.)

2. The Dante blurb screams deathguard to me... CSM killed by bolter fire (so other marines), Cut in half by great blades (like big scythes ?) and biomechanical investation looking like wilted flowers is rather nurglish.

3. When it comes to chaos-science arcane relics in the rock, typhus at least has a history with the Dark angels and the fallen ( the tchulcha engine trinity.)

4. The first tarot image of book 3's tarot cards has maggots breaching trough the wall on the daemon card. (this one might be a stretch.)

What bothers me more than it should is that they didnt align the Cards so that whereas Daemon is IX, Daemon (inversed) would be XI ....it.. really bothers me haha

Im also interested if the lack in consistency in card designs and layout has any additional speculation value ( this card, like shattered world and the lightning tower share the same borders) or just GW being GW ( for whom consistency is an uncomprehensible concept.)

10 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

Wonder how a Lion El Johnson will look like. Will he get a new suit of armor or does he keep his HH getup? The change in Gulliman’s aesthetic can be explained by his need for life-sustaining tech (and him borrowing big E’s sword), I don’t expect such a radical change for the Lion. 

Fingers crossed for a nightcap and pyjamas and a very pissed "I just woke up" face.

Vashtorr is either besieging the rock with the aid of the Fallen or with Deathguard or both. And I think the deathguard do the betraying here.

I like this idea. It's a nice mirror to the Lion prosecuting Barbarus in The Heresy. 

Someone mentioned Fulgrim higher up. I want him to keep getting name dropped throughout AoO and by the end of it resolving to get his legion back together (setting up an Emperor's Children codex with Fulgrim model)

57 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

I actually dont think its Belakor..

I have a more story theories to go with those, might write it out later or not, but I think Vashtorr is either besieging the rock with the aid of the Fallen or with Deathguard or both. And I think the deathguard do the betraying here. ( I think this card references chaos in general betraying each other, not just daemons betraying daemons.)

1. one part of the theory is that the WD article said each of the 3 middle books is a seperate story about seperate Arks, and I think its roughly the 3 standalone chaos legions their arks.. even if the title character is not part of that legion.)

2. The Dante blurb screams deathguard to me... CSM killed by bolter fire (so other marines), Cut in half by great blades (like big scythes ?) and biomechanical investation looking like wilted flowers is rather nurglish.

3. When it comes to chaos-science arcane relics in the rock, typhus at least has a history with the Dark angels and the fallen ( the tchulcha engine trinity.)

4. The first tarot image of book 3's tarot cards has maggots breaching trough the wall on the daemon card. (this one might be a stretch.)

Well, I don't have the first book myself, so I'll trust the judgement of people with more info than me.

In any case, with this group of four cards being Daemon, Astartes, Lightning Tower and Daemon (inversed) I think it's safe to say that Vashtorr's attack on the Rock will be thwarted by another Chaos agent.

Next week's card should definitely be interesting, if the pattern continues. I bet it's the Sword for Farsight.

Someone mentioned Fulgrim higher up. I want him to keep getting name dropped throughout AoO and by the end of it resolving to get his legion back together (setting up an Emperor's Children codex with Fulgrim model)

What if I told you he's pretty much already reunited his Legion and set up for a Codex for a long while.

Edited by DeadFingers

38 minutes ago, DeadFingers said:

Vashtorr's attack on the Rock will be thwarted by another Chaos agent.

I'm not convinced we're getting Vashtorr attacking the Rock, and that instead there's going to be a retroactive adjustment of when exactly Marbas attacked the Rock. However, if Vashtorr attacks the Rock, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fallen intervene in some manner.

Edited by jaxom
Fixed some grammar

56 minutes ago, DeadFingers said:

What if I told you he's pretty much already reunited his Legion and set up for a Codex for a long while.

Yeah, Fulgrim's been set for a comeback for quite some time. It isn't the story that's preventing him from having a bigger part in the setting, it's the fact that GW doesn't want to introduce and support multiple lines of Heretic Astartes within a few years of each other. Death Guard got their big rollout back in 2017 with the start of 8th Edition - it's taken more than five years for GW to move on to introducing World Eaters at the tail end of 9th. Even though the World Eaters range is quite a bit smaller, I really don't expect Emperor's Children to be rolled out as a separate faction for at least another four years, possibly as the antagonist faction in the 11th Edition launch box.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

I'm not convinced we're getting Vashtorr attacking the Rock, and that instead there's going to be a retroactive adjustment of when exactly Marbas attacked the Rock. However, if Vashtorr attacks the Rock, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fallen intervene in some manner.

If they're after a weird weapon, the Rock is the first place I'd look.

11 minutes ago, Misterduch said:

I will laugh if when Vashtorr/Angron make a move on the rock, the fall send someone in to wake the Lion lol

"Dad....Dad! Wake the hell up you cranky old man"

Turns out Angron is angry only because the nails stop him from getting some sleep. 

The Lion teaches him the secret to long refreshing naps.

Angron wakes up much calmer and they both become best friends.

3 hours ago, Borbarad said:

Wonder how a Lion El Johnson will look like. Will he get a new suit of armor or does he keep his HH getup? The change in Gulliman’s aesthetic can be explained by his need for life-sustaining tech (and him borrowing big E’s sword), I don’t expect such a radical change for the Lion. 

My guess is that he will get a significant redesign. After all, Azrael is now carrying his helm around. The Lion model from FW is really nice but I guess they won't want to simply copy it into plastic. I am sure we will get something a bit more OTT in usual 40K style. As the Primarch of the oldest Legion, I am sure he has several suits of armour for different occasions.

Remember that he didn't get a chance to return to Caliban during the HH. Firstly he was chasing the Night Lords, then he got marooned in Imperium Secundus by the Ruinstorm so he had to make do with whatever wargear he had with him on the Invincible Reason. Now that he is back on (the remains of) his homeworld, I am sure he he will take the opportunity to get some fresh threads. :wink:

3 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

My guess is that he will get a significant redesign. After all, Azrael is now carrying his helm around. The Lion model from FW is really nice but I guess they won't want to simply copy it into plastic. I am sure we will get something a bit more OTT in usual 40K style. As the Primarch of the oldest Legion, I am sure he has several suits of armour for different occasions.

Remember that he didn't get a chance to return to Caliban during the HH. Firstly he was chasing the Night Lords, then he got marooned in Imperium Secundus by the Ruinstorm so he had to make do with whatever wargear he had with him on the Invincible Reason. Now that he is back on (the remains of) his homeworld, I am sure he he will take the opportunity to get some fresh threads. :wink:

Thats pretty fair. Possibly something will need to be done to wake him up and that might be reflected in the armour. Then again that might be too close to the story of Gullimans return. 

1 hour ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

If they're after a weird weapon, the Rock is the first place I'd look.

Not saying it doesn't make sense, but it would be the third time that a major narrative bump the Dark Angels receive is someone attacking the Rock. Daemons breached the Rock at Prospero, Marbas breached the Rock and kidnapped Luthor,... and now Vashtorr breaches the Rock, too? I've complained a lot about how the Dark Angel's Indomitus Era lore has been handled, but that would be new levels of creative bankruptcy.

3 hours ago, jaxom said:

If the angel in green robes with the broken sword in the Astartes card and the green tower in the Lightning Tower card can't convince you, maybe the picture from the Arks of Omen reveal video that says "The Rock besieged!" with Vashtorr in it where people spotted the recently revealed Azrael model will.

cleaned-up-screenshot-of-that-teaser-fra

3 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

Yeah, Fulgrim's been set for a comeback for quite some time. It isn't the story that's preventing him from having a bigger part in the setting, it's the fact that GW doesn't want to introduce and support multiple lines of Heretic Astartes within a few years of each other. Death Guard got their big rollout back in 2017 with the start of 8th Edition - it's taken more than five years for GW to move on to introducing World Eaters at the tail end of 9th. Even though the World Eaters range is quite a bit smaller, I really don't expect Emperor's Children to be rolled out as a separate faction for at least another four years, possibly as the antagonist faction in the 11th Edition launch box.

You forget thought that between Magnus/Thousand sons and Mortarion/Deathguard there was only a little over half a year.

Nov 2016 - Magnus+Thousand Sons (following on the heels of Khârn )
2nd Half 2017 - Mortarion + Deathguard
end of 2018 + troughout 2019 - Chaos spacemarines refresh ( they are no less heretic astartes as Worldeaters and deathguard are ) kicked off by Blackstone fortress

2022 - Chaos spacemarines refresh waves 2
early 2023 - Angron/World eaters

So four years inbetween CSM releases is quite an exageration.. and Emperors children only arriving as late as the 11th edition launchbox is statistically much less likely than them coming early in 10th edition.

edit 2:

To follow up on this, its been speculated, hinted etc many times, but early 8th edition their plans seemingly shifted and instead of rolling out the many rumored and hinted at new things they instead focused hard on updating some older ranges instead, add to this the massive delays.. and here we are.. but with the exception of tyranids (rumored for launch) and both flavors of eldar, most ranges are largely up to date/resinless apart from named characters.

And I think we already experience the following phase of it through Leagues of Votann, Worldeaters etc.

We wont have another 2 editions of updating older stuff, as most of it is up there already... the focus will largely shift to new things and expanded things.

( in this equation I do not count regular spacemarines, their volume of releases is unaffected by old or new, and as such stands apart from/doesnt affect all other releases.)

Edited by TheMawr
Khârn did a time travel

54 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

You forget thought that between Magnus/Thousand sons and Mortarion/Deathguard there was only a little over half a year.

The fact that I didn't mention TSons makes you think I forgot them? They were a small range that shot their shot and were basically a non-factor after that.

Good point on the generic CSM range though. I should have counted those new model waves irrespective of them being a settled codex faction. So not impossible that an EC range could squeak out sometime in 10th, although it looks like it's going to be all-Tyranids early on and there are still some obvious generic CSM models to be replaced (Bikers, Raptors, probably Warp Talons). But if World Eaters don't get a followup wave, then EC might be pencilled in sometime prior to 2027, when I envision the next edition dropping to mark the 40th anniversary.