These are nice but they make me wonder if any potential further boxes will follow a similar formula. I could see Ork and Tau boarding patrols headed by Snikrot and Farsight respectively, with some troopless battleforces to capitalise on the new detachment. Maybe World Eaters to go along with AoO:Angron.

Maybe even the rumoured new marine toys in a battleforce for the book(s) after AoO:Farsight.

10 minutes ago, Nephaston said:

These are nice but they make me wonder if any potential further boxes will follow a similar formula. I could see Ork and Tau boarding patrols headed by Snikrot and Farsight respectively, with some troopless battleforces to capitalise on the new detachment. Maybe World Eaters to go along with AoO:Angron.

Maybe even the rumoured new marine toys in a battleforce for the book(s) after AoO:Farsight.

Can't see why GW would launch all their brand-new kits for this period in discount bundles when they know they can sell them at full price. Farsight as a standalone kit and a complimentary Boarding Patrol box? Sure. But Farsight in that box? I mean it's not impossible but it doesn't feel like their normal MO.

5 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Can't see why GW would launch all their brand-new kits for this period in discount bundles when they know they can sell them at full price. Farsight as a standalone kit and a complimentary Boarding Patrol box? Sure. But Farsight in that box? I mean it's not impossible but it doesn't feel like their normal MO.

Could be they're testing the waters to see if it gets new folks into buying that faction.

Daemon prince is in one already, even though he's not even up for preorder yet, so who knows what they're doing until we see it.

10 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

It doesnt ? They actually do this all the time with new characters, new armies etc. Sometimes it seems rarer to see a new character standalone than in a box at first. With bigger centrepieces its not done usually but i dont think farsight is bigger than ghaz ( who also came in such a box first )  

21 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

It doesnt ? They actually do this all the time with new characters, new armies etc. Sometimes it seems rarer to see a new character standalone than in a box at first. With bigger centrepieces its not done usually but i dont think farsight is bigger than ghaz ( who also came in such a box first )  

I suppose I should have clarified that I'm not talking about a Battlebox or an army launch set (which it feels very likely we could see for World Eaters), but the Boarding Patrols and Battleforce sets specifically. 

If you look at the most comparable release wave which was Psychic Awakening, even if you discount the four that did come in Battleboxes (Drazhar, Jain Zar, Ghazkull, Ragnar), there were more who came out as standalones (Lazarus, Mephiston, Shadowsun, Bile, Stern & Kyganil, Szeras) and none of these 10 kits came in a Patrol or Battleforce style discount box.

29 minutes ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

Daemon prince is in one already, even though he's not even up for preorder yet, so who knows what they're doing until we see it.

There's maybe a tenuous argument to be made that the Daemon Prince has been out for 2 months already, and in any case it goes up for pre-order on Saturday as part of the AoS Slaves to Darkness release wave, so it will have had it's standalone release by the time the Arks of Omen Battleforce comes out. 

Anyway I'm not's saying it completely impossible, I'm just saying don't expect GW to dangle you the new shiny thing you want in a discount bundle because that will be the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by Halandaar

All the boxes are nice, the battleforce I expect will be priced 210 usd, The boarding patrols a bit less than a combat patrol but not much.

The thing I take from this is battleforces are here to stay (They will rotate them out I imagine, but they seem to be becoming permanent items, like combat patrols).

Which was the last battlebox (two small forces) released?

If I didn't have my resolution to stop purchases this year jntil my backlog was done, that Balefire box would be awesome. The Abbbadon box is very meh, if would be great if those Cultists were actual multipart kits. The SM box isn't bad, but since you get Assault Intercessors pretty cheap now that kind of devalue sit a bit

27 minutes ago, Sky Potato said:

I’m kind of hoping the Boarding Action boxes sit somewhere in between the old Start Collecting boxes at £50 and the Combat Patrol at £90. I’ve always thought £90 seems a little too high to be an intro set to an army.

That sounds about right. The 3 separate kits for the Astartes are £101.50, so £70-£90 is probably somewhere around it. £60 would be a great deal!

Edited by Lysimachus

14 hours ago, phandaal said:

CSM one is too many points for a boarding action game, yeah?

Edit - just read the blurb at the end. Not that more models is a bad thing. Guess they just really wanted to call it a Boarding Patrol as a promotional tie-in.

Brother, I suspect your initial reaction is right, that they planned this boxset BEFORE the points changes, because it'd have been 490 points (= 300 + 90 + 50 + 50), or just enough for some optional wargear upgrades.  Whoever wrote the Warhammer Community article was being a brother and covering for his colleague(s).

8 hours ago, Sky Potato said:

I’m kind of hoping the Boarding Action boxes sit somewhere in between the old Start Collecting boxes at £50 and the Combat Patrol at £90. I’ve always thought £90 seems a little too high to be an intro set to an army.

I think the marine one might get close but I agree a smaller box/collection as more of a curiosity/impulse purchase option would be good.

I've been wanting to get Abaddon for a while so maybe if the price is right and availability is reasonable I'll get that boarding box and use the rest of the contents for that Emperor's Children army I've been meaning to get around to painting. In all honesty though it'll probably just sit with all the rest of the many unassembled kits in my garage for a few years.

Primaris set is nice. Abaddon set is disappointing though - that's a lot of those monopose cultists, and if you already have Abaddon...
Then again, maybe the disappointing thing is the cultist kit. It makes good models, but it seems so lacklustre next to any other infantry box.

17 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

Abaddon set is disappointing though - that's a lot of those monopose cultists, and if you already have Abaddon...
Then again, maybe the disappointing thing is the cultist kit. It makes good models, but it seems so lacklustre next to any other infantry box.

That's exactly my issue; I do want to add Abaddon at some point and would quite happily take the Marine bodies to stick spare Havoc weapons on, but I already have a set of those monopose Cultists and two more identical sets doesn't appeal to me, even if I had the bits and patience to convert them.

11 hours ago, sitnam said:

The SM box isn't bad, but since you get Assault Intercessors pretty cheap now that kind of devalue sit a bit

But those cheap Assault Intercessors are the same monopose 5 over and over, which is kind of like the point I made about Cultists above. At least spare Marine weapons are easy enough to come by but for me the fact that it's the multipart Assault Intercessors in there is actually appealing, especially as the spares can go towards livening up some monopose ones from Imperium or starter boxes.

12 hours ago, Mana said:

Which was the last battlebox (two small forces) released?

11 hours ago, Lord Nord said:

There has to have been one more recent than Eldritch Omens, surely? That's the last one that comes to mind and it was almost a year ago (I'm not counting Kill Team sets).

Afraid not, Eldritch Omens was indeed the last 40K Battlebox (although there have been three for AoS in the time since). The amount that come out in a year seems to fluctuate a lot so there only being 1 during 2022 isn't completely unusual.

What's maybe worth noting is that there has been a Battlebox in Q1 of each of the last 5 years:

• Q1 2022 - Eldritch Omens
  • Q1 2021 - Piety and Pain
  • Q1 2020 - Prophecy of the Wolf
  • Q1 2019 - Shadowspear
  • Q1 2018 - Forgebane

So maybe that suggests there will be at least one during Arks of Omen to keep that pattern going. Orks vs Tau would be possible in the context of them both getting new HQ models.

Edited by Halandaar

I actually quite like both of the boarding patrols.

I have lots of assault intercessors but only the Indomitus style so these could add some variety and I dont have the rest of the box either

My CSM haven't had any real love since 2nd edition though I have acquired lot of death guard and also have the contents of Dark Vengeance somewhere in the loft. This would be a pretty good starting point for me to get back into chaos.

The main issue a the moment I have no hobby budget and when I do other shiny things will get my attention so I doubt I will come back to these if they are around longer term (Dark Angels and Orks, possibly Guard)

1 hour ago, Halandaar said:

Afraid not, Eldritch Omens was indeed the last 40K Battlebox (although there have been three for AoS in the time since). The amount that come out in a year seems to fluctuate a lot so there only being 1 during 2022 isn't completely unusual.

What's maybe worth noting is that there has been a Battlebox in Q1 of each of the last 5 years:

• Q1 2022 - Eldritch Omens
  • Q1 2021 - Piety and Pain
  • Q1 2020 - Prophecy of the Wolf
  • Q1 2019 - Shadowspear
  • Q1 2018 - Forgebane

So maybe that suggests there will be at least one during Arks of Omen to keep that pattern going. Orks vs Tau would be possible in the context of them both getting new HQ models.

While we only got one Battlebox we got three army sets (Chaos Knights/Votann/Astra Militarum) while 2021 had three Battleboxes (Shadow Throne/Hexfire/Piety and Pain) and only two army sets (Black Templars/Orks)

Also Kill team also got more big sets this year since the quarterly releases only started in August 2021 so in terms of big sets its pretty much the same

Edited by Matrindur

• 3 weeks later...

From the World Eater release thread:

GBP prices

image.png.20bc7fffddc7be682ac62341feb1cecb.png

The Space Marine Boarding Patrol is priced about the same as the old Start Collecting boxs, with a similar body count. The old Space Wolf one was 10 Intercessors, 3 Aggressors, and a Space Wolf Primaris Battle Leader. So trade the Aggressors for Heavy Intercessors and the Battle Leader for a Gravis Captain.