Jan 2023: GW Half-Yearly Financial Report, I had made a mistake, HH 2.0 overestimated

N1SB

My big takeaway: Don't get your hopes too high on the Amazon partnership. "We have agreed, in principle, to explore opportunities to exploit our IP with Amazon Studios." Sure, things may happen, but it's at the earliest possible stage, at a moment where all of the streamers are retrenching in terms of budget for new content.

Other than that, it seems like they're going from strength to strength. They matched last year's record sales, though they noted that things had leveled off in the US. Worst case, this seems to suggest that Horus Heresy is at least on par with AoS in terms of selling power and should augur well for the future!

From thisismoney

Games Workshop shares dive as Warhammer maker misses sales target - but FTSE 250 firm's revenues surpass £200m for the first time  Games Workshop posted record sales for the six months to the end of November, but missed targets, sending shares falling 5 per cent.  The Warhammer figurine maker told investors that the 7 per cent increase in revenues to £226.6million 'isn't where we wanted to be, particularly in the US', where sales were flat on a constant currency basis against a record year last year.   Pre-tax profit fell 5.2 per cent to £83.6million, as it suffered from a fall in licensing profits, but this was before its blockbuster deal with Amazon announced in December. 

It'll be interesting to see how they address the US market. I've noticed they're a little less likely to push the prices here in recent years, so I'm wondering if they've hit a cap as far as their fantasy conversion rates go.

Even if HH just matches AoS, that's pretty significant, given that it didn't have a well developed range and they were plagued with supply issues on a lot of it throughout the year. I suspect they reached pretty close to the cap on how well it could have done.

Some interesting callouts.

• Russia only brought in about £2m annually in second half and is now listed as lost revenue.
  • Horus Heresy is considered to be successful and sold well.
  • 10.9% revenue increase
  • New webstore in Summer 2023 (if they make the new deadline). Seems to elude to some advanced functionality
  • New systems/processes in NA (Memphis) to increase logistical efficiency
  • New warehouse to service UK and Europe is open, with all accounts switched in Spring 2023
  • Warehousing is about £12.2
  • 8 New injection machines for plastics
  • New factory dedicated to producing paint
  • Still having significant issues with IT Infrastructure
  • Acknowledged spike in customer service requests due to delayed orders
  • Warhammer Community -100k+ hits daily
  • 1.9 Million estimated subscribers across all social media types
  • My Warhammer has about 718k accounts
  • Just under 1m email subscribers - considered one of their strongest marketing tools
  • Total capital investment of £5.1m (Tooling, facilities, equipment, warehousing and IT equipment)
  • Emphasizing focus on 3rd parting licensing
  • No contract with Amazon - only agreement in principle to explore possible opportunity. Nothing is actually confirmed or signed
  • Darktide was a "particular launch of note" in relation to revenue.
  • Decrease in licensing revenue by £5.8m (to £14.3m) - about a 25% loss. They appear to use guarantee income and then adjust for actual performance.
  • 83% of license revenue comes from PC games. 7% from mobile and 10% from other
  • Their risks are interesting
    • IT remains a major weakness and they are keeping their IT team structure "under review"
    • Concern with preventing media from harming their core business and representation of the IP "is approved, correct and consistant". Mentions involving lawyers if needed. (I'm guessing this is directly about the Amazon announcement and concerns around shows that created a lot of controversy in regards to liberties taken with the IP).
    • "Do not intend greenwash." Plan in place for climate change, diversity and equality and a plan to make progress forever.

I'll let others dig through very specific financials, but those are some of the interesting points I pulled out at a glance. Make of them what you will.

Edited Russia to half-year. Was tired when doing this and I'm used to the US method of quarterly earnings calls and looking at year end totals in December/January. However, the lost revenue comment stands, as this is specifically from the report under "External factors impacting the delivery of our commercial plan":

War in Ukraine - half year c.£2 million lost in net revenue from trade sales in Russia.

Edited by twopounder

2 hours ago, twopounder said:

Some interesting callouts.

• Russia only brought in about £2m annually and is now listed as lost revenue.

It's a half-year lost, not annual "half year c.£2 million lost in net revenue from trade sales in Russia." 

But I think it not a "lost" revenue - it's just re-routed cash flow to neighbourgh countries (like "unusual sale spikes" in Poland, Finland, Kazakhstan etc.)

3 hours ago, spessmarine said:

looking at revenue at constant currency, it appears to be more along the lines of a small bump
though, to be fair to gw, it hasn't exactly been a great year for everyone judging from all the recession forecasting and inflation

The fact that revenues are stable year-on-year, given the massive growth in recent years and the cost of living crisis is honestly pretty insane. 

3 hours ago, WrathOfTheLion said:

It'll be interesting to see how they address the US market. I've noticed they're a little less likely to push the prices here in recent years, so I'm wondering if they've hit a cap as far as their fantasy conversion rates go.

Even if HH just matches AoS, that's pretty significant, given that it didn't have a well developed range and they were plagued with supply issues on a lot of it throughout the year. I suspect they reached pretty close to the cap on how well it could have done.

I have never seen another company get anywhere near as many comments on regional pricing or "fantasy conversion rates" as GW do. 

According to the mac index an iPhone 14 512gb list price in the US is $1,099 vs (based on exchange rate) $1,435 in the UK, but this doesn't garner a fraction of the outrage that GW do for their regional pricing, and it honestly baffles me why. Do Warhammer fans not understand why regional pricing is a thing? Do they expect prices to be adjusted on a daily/weekly basis to reflect conversion rates? Is it just because the UK get the favourable prices that it's an issue? 

1 hour ago, Arbedark said:

The fact that revenues are stable year-on-year, given the massive growth in recent years and the cost of living crisis is honestly pretty insane. 

I have never seen another company get anywhere near as many comments on regional pricing or "fantasy conversion rates" as GW do. 

According to the mac index an iPhone 14 512gb list price in the US is $1,099 vs (based on exchange rate) $1,435 in the UK, but this doesn't garner a fraction of the outrage that GW do for their regional pricing, and it honestly baffles me why. Do Warhammer fans not understand why regional pricing is a thing? Do they expect prices to be adjusted on a daily/weekly basis to reflect conversion rates? Is it just because the UK get the favourable prices that it's an issue? 

I wouldnt use Apple as an example. Their Fans are something else. 800+€ for 4 wheels for a Desktop PC as an example.

The Problem with GW exchange Rates is, it feels more GW trying to squeeze some extra profit from its customers.

8 minutes ago, Bung said:

I wouldnt use Apple as an example. Their Fans are something else. 800+€ for 4 wheels for a Desktop PC as an example.

The Problem with GW exchange Rates is, it feels more GW trying to squeeze some extra profit from its customers.

Take any niche product and its the same thing tho. Costs incurred in dealing with other countries have to be offset somewhere. Cycling is my other hobby and any USA made item is big markup in the UK, and UK made items are higher price in USA. Used to order plenty of stuff direct for the USA or through friends family there to ship to the UK. Even if you pay VAT on arrival its still often cheaper to import.

Example; A UK made Hope rear bike hub is £170rrp uk including VAT ($205 today). Current USA rrp is $250 without tax. 

19 minutes ago, Bung said:

I'm honestly not sure who has crazier fans, whether Apple or GW. Prices people pay for plastic toys vs 4 wheels from Apple isn't really that different.

on topic: new webstore - I do hope they will finally address the fact BL.com only has ebooks and to this day since the change during the COVID, there's still no notification on the website physical books are only available via GW.com. I still see on various forums people asking where to get BL books because BL.com has only ebooks/audios. 

BL website needs a complete overhaul but I have very little confidence in their capability to deliver it.

4 minutes ago, theSpirea said:

BL website needs a complete overhaul but I have very little confidence in their capability to deliver it.

The complete lack of structure of the BL website is maddening, i cant imagine how much money they are losing through its terrible layout. Looking at a book its almost impossible to see where it sits within a series or setting. Ive missed whole sections of some collections as the site doesnt let you know there are other books to buy. 

8 minutes ago, dickyelsdon said:

The complete lack of structure of the BL website is maddening, i cant imagine how much money they are losing through its terrible layout. Looking at a book its almost impossible to see where it sits within a series or setting. Ive missed whole sections of some collections as the site doesnt let you know there are other books to buy. 

Yeah, it's bad isn't it.

I try to buy the ebooks from there so they are DRM free but sometimes I'm stuck on mobile and its so painful I just end up buying it from Amazon.

And as you say, the discovery of new or other books in a series is a disaster!

2 hours ago, Arbedark said:

A good chunk of the difference is VAT. US list price is sans sales tax, while the UK price (as always) includes the 20% VAT. So like for like, i.e. applying VAT, the US price would be $1319, leaving a ~9% markup. (I don't know what import duties Apple pay in the UK, if any). Most people buy phones as part of a mobile contract, which also conceals the 'real' price anyway. And lastly, it's Apple - if you're price sensitive, you're probably not an Apple customer anyway.

GW regional pricing on the other hand makes Apple look like saints. Votann army box; list price of $200 in US, $120 in the UK. UK price includes VAT, so like for like as above, it's $240 (US inc VAT) vs $146 (UK price in dollars at £1=$1.21 current exchange rate). Or a 64% markup. That's so far beyond accounting for currency fluctuation/shipping/import taxes it's just not funny. And don't even start on Aus pricing, where it can literally be double the price.

6 hours ago, Arbedark said:

Maybe because you're on a forum for Warhammer people complain about it there? Just search "UK outrage over apple pricing", I did and there are alot of articles (from actual news outlets, not toy soldier forums) about people complaining and lawsuits. There's so much more complaining about Apple's pricing or business practices on the internet than GW. Apple is the largest company (by market share) in the world. GW isn't even 2% their size, what a terrible comparison. Quit using your own personal experience as fact.

Fact, more people complain about Apple's regional pricing than GW's.

Also fact, more people complain about GW's pricing on a website dedicated to one of their toy lines than they do Apple...

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

6 hours ago, Arkhanist said:

A good chunk of the difference is VAT. US list price is sans sales tax, while the UK price (as always) includes the 20% VAT. So like for like, i.e. applying VAT, the US price would be $1319, leaving a ~9% markup. (I don't know what import duties Apple pay in the UK, if any). Most people buy phones as part of a mobile contract, which also conceals the 'real' price anyway. And lastly, it's Apple - if you're price sensitive, you're probably not an Apple customer anyway.

GW regional pricing on the other hand makes Apple look like saints. Votann army box; list price of $200 in US, $120 in the UK. UK price includes VAT, so like for like as above, it's $240 (US inc VAT) vs $146 (UK price in dollars at £1=$1.21 current exchange rate). Or a 64% markup. That's so far beyond accounting for currency fluctuation/shipping/import taxes it's just not funny. And don't even start on Aus pricing, where it can literally be double the price.

I appreciate the added context, which is absolutely fair - I always forget that the US doesn't include sales tax in their prices.

I stand by the thrust of my comment, however, as regional pricing isn't a GW-exclusive approach to distribution, and the Apple example was just a quick and easy one to post in the morning before work (see the Big Mac Index as another example of how prices for the same product can vary between regions, for a variety of reasons: https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index). There are of course a significant range of factors which are often (always?) ignored when people comment on the 'fantasy GW conversion rate' or whatever other inane name they decide to give it, such as cost of labour, property costs (retail and domestic), disposable income, the cost of alternative entertainment, distribution cost, etc.

2 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

Maybe because you're on a forum for Warhammer people complain about it there? Just search "UK outrage over apple pricing", I did and there are alot of articles (from actual news outlets, not toy soldier forums) about people complaining and lawsuits. There's so much more complaining about Apple's pricing or business practices on the internet than GW. Apple is the largest company (by market share) in the world. GW isn't even 2% their size, what a terrible comparison. Quit using your own personal experience as fact.

Fact, more people complain about Apple's regional pricing than GW's.

Also fact, more people complain about GW's pricing on a website dedicated to one of their toy lines than they do Apple...

Ah, yes. I can see how you would think my comment was specifically about why people don't complain about Apple products on GW-focused fora, rather than using the aforementioned Apple products as an example of regional pricing (which per @Arkhanist's post above actually isn't as good example as could have been used), and a personal comment on the frequency in which I, personally, see comments on such in a broader context...

Estimating exchange rates £ to $ must be a nightmare to predict anyway, we've had a near 20% swing in just the last few months when the £ almost hit parity with the $ but it's now settled around $1.20 imagine if it ever hit the heady heights of $2 - £1 again 

I wonder if GW have the mains power issue resolved for the extra injection machines they bought a few years ago then realised the local power grid couldn't handle the extra demand so required an upgrade?

20 hours ago, spessmarine said:

looking at revenue at constant currency, it appears to be more along the lines of a small bump
though, to be fair to gw, it hasn't exactly been a great year for everyone judging from all the recession forecasting and inflation

My fellow Brother Spess Mareen, this was my initial assumption.  Moreover, even that small bump I assumed was Licensing revenue from video games.

It's not.  The Horus Heresy 2.0 is pulling its weight, faster than AoS even after it's had some time to build up momentum!  Imma brb, breakfast.

23 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

From thisismoney

Games Workshop shares dive as Warhammer maker misses sales target - but FTSE 250 firm's revenues surpass £200m for the first time  Games Workshop posted record sales for the six months to the end of November, but missed targets, sending shares falling 5 per cent.  The Warhammer figurine maker told investors that the 7 per cent increase in revenues to £226.6million 'isn't where we wanted to be, particularly in the US', where sales were flat on a constant currency basis against a record year last year.   Pre-tax profit fell 5.2 per cent to £83.6million, as it suffered from a fall in licensing profits, but this was before its blockbuster deal with Amazon announced in December. 

This is a great heads up.  Our American Brothers (I used to live in the States, East Coast, Midwest, West Coast), any insight?

Like, for example, this HY was very HH-focused...maybe HH isn't popular in the US?  That doesn't right either, though, I see a lot of American lore videos.

Also, I got to go to bed.  I think I've been up 24 hours straight.  If anyone asks, I've headed off to a customer meeting at their office.

Edited by N1SB