k0nahrik’s Dornian Heresy: Siege of Terra White Scars.

k0nahrik

On 2/5/2023 at 10:29 PM, sockwithaticket said:

Been a minute since I've seen any Dornian Heresy stuff, nice work so far.

Cheers fella!

Quick update today - Finished up my legion champion from the first post. Without further ado;

PPR0Elx.jpegREVnJEM.jpeg 5thphtb.jpeg
QrYwVER.jpeg

BUeXRuE.jpeg 

Admittedly jumped the gun a little bit with posting this without his base being finished, but hey ho. Pretty pleased overall - the iridescent scales turned out far better than I’d anticipated, and I’m particularly pleased with how a lot of the freehands turned out on this guy. More of a proof of concept model than anything, I don’t see a huge place for him in my army overall but I really enjoyed converting him - particularly pleased with how the chest cables turned out, and also loved finding the crest for his helmet that differentiates him from having a topknot like almost every other important member of the force.

As always let me know what you think, cheers for reading!

8 hours ago, Boc said:

Looks great! The white on the chest seems a little powdery looking but it's minimal. Such awesome conversions, keep posting! 

2 hours ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Looks good to me :smile: As @Boc said, there's a couple of areas of unevenness on the white, but white can be a pain. I do really like the soft pinky-purpley tone on the scabbard and backpack :smile:

Cheers guys! Yeah white was always going to be a pain coming into this project, I used a slightly different method this time which I think may have affected the final result. I’m still happy with it passing the across the table test though so it’s not too much of an issue!

Hey all, quick update today 

Put a little bit of work in on Jaghatai this evening and I think I’m ready to call the lower half of the torso finished.

0QQZdeV.jpeg

As you can see, the exhausts have been connected up and the rear legs augmented with pistons and mechanical parts. 
yy06veT.jpeg

2h1nfgg.jpeg

Some close ups of the mechanical elements here. The idea is that being a centaur, Jaghatai probably can’t quite fit onto a jetbike any more. Part of his ascension to daemon princehood has brought the Khan closer to the engines and speed that he so lusts for - piston fired legs allow the Khan to gallop as swiftly as the fastest imperial vehicle

MwE7qGt.jpeg

shot of the underbelly, some of my favourite detail on the model. Really pleased with how even the exhausts appear.

That’s all for today! As always, let me know what you think. Cheers for reading!

Wow! What a fantastic looking force. Well painted and the freehand is superb! I think my favorite detail are the purple flames on the belly armor of the guy with the snake body. It’s such a small detail that really adds character. Definitely looking forward to seeing more, especially the Khan.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 4:46 PM, k0nahrik said:

Cheers! Yeah there were slim pickings when looking for traitor scars conversions for inspo -

On 1/26/2023 at 11:18 AM, Gamiel said:

Have seen some nice covertions using Corpse Grinder Cult heads on WS bodies. 

This and this was what I was thinking of

Edited by Gamiel

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2023 at 6:56 AM, Ancient_Sobek said:

Wow! What a fantastic looking force. Well painted and the freehand is superb! I think my favorite detail are the purple flames on the belly armor of the guy with the snake body. It’s such a small detail that really adds character. Definitely looking forward to seeing more, especially the Khan.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:06 AM, KrautScientist said:

Man, these are excellent! Fantastic work so far, and I'm really happy to still see some Dornian Heresy love after all these years!

On 3/8/2023 at 9:53 AM, Gamiel said:

Adam Staincliffe's WS successors the Jade Talons fell to Chaos and he has given his Noice Marines colourful hair/helemt crests while mostly keeping them in their old colours. Maybe of inspiration.

Cheers all! Thanks for all the feedback

Here today with a few small updates - been a while - life has slowed progress on the Scars

here’s my traitor Stormseer - Warp-Storm-Seer-anyone? Haha

Dhov5NC.jpeg
NNlbafA.jpeg

Lqhoojq.jpeg
based on the new Sorcerer model combined with parts from Jetek Suberei and the staff-topper from the Lord of Possessions and a backpack from FW MKIII Marines.

Next, I’ve got the beginnings of a Praetor in modified terminator armour

1LcfdX0.jpeg
4deCcpk.jpeg

super happy with this guy - especially the weapon, a Dadao made from a modified Fafnir Rann’s axe - particularly pleased with the expansion of the handle, which was harder than it looks for sure! i wish I could have had this guy with a top-knot but unfortunately that just isn’t possible with the cowling - at least the faux-knot mounted on the armour is an option lmao.

Hopefully I’ll be able to make a little bit of headway with the force in the coming weeks. Cheers for reading, let me know what you think! 

15 hours ago, k0nahrik said:

especially the weapon, a Dadao made from a modified Fafnir Rann’s axe

Really cool.

Just remember that that the WS have a Brotherhood of the Black Axe = them using axes is part of the lore, so you don't need to convert every axe.

Edited by Gamiel

On 3/27/2023 at 11:52 PM, MikhalLeNoir said:

Instantly becoming one of my favourite threads here.

Awesome and inspiring work.. can't wait to see the finished Khan

On 3/28/2023 at 7:42 AM, Valkia the Bloody said:

The conversion of the Warp- Stormseer is amazing!

On 3/29/2023 at 7:51 AM, Pearson73 said:

The Seer looks solid, even with just those couple of tweaks to the stock model. 

The Praetor pose is looking good too, looking forward to seeing the rest of him.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:19 AM, Gamiel said:

Really cool.

Just remember that that the WS have a Brotherhood of the Black Axe = them using axes is part of the lore, so you don't need to convert every axe.

Thanks everyone!

Quick update today - WIP on the stormseer’s paintjob, he should be finished in the next few days.

M0YcIoo.jpg

need to paint the bird, the base, the weapon, and go through with some last touch ups - super happy with how it’s turning out. I’m especially happy with the OSL - it has this sketchy, painterly quality that wasn’t entirely intentional but almost lends itself to a sort of cartoon-videogame look which I really like.

I’ll post again when he’s fully completed. With my birthday next week and a new job providing funds, I should be able to start adding to this force properly over the next couple months, which I’m really excited about. Stay tuned for more!

cheers for reading :)

Hey all!

back today with the finished stormseer, so without further ado;

WmSaI3A.jpeg
FwFr21A.jpeg

PgwUBVx.jpeg

I’m super pleased with how he turned out - mentioned the warpfire/OSL in my previous post, but I’m also particularly pleased with the dust on his robes and cloak, and the bloody tears effect on his staff. The bird was also a pleasure to paint.

This wasn’t a particularly planned conversion - simply arose from a few models I had lying around my hobby area, so with that in consideration I’m extremely happy with how well it meshed together and works with the other models in the force.

Thats all for today! Should be back soon with an update on the Ebon keshig and a little bit of work potentially on the Tartaros praetor.

cheers for reading! Let me know what you think!

Excellent work on the sorcerer! Although I have to say that his backpack looks like the dodgiest part of him, especially given the excellent paintjob on the front of the model. Maybe you could find a way of tweaking the backpack a bit? Even picking out more of the smaller exhausts at the bottom left and right in metal might already make the backpack seem less like a solid, mono-coloured block?

Spoiler

2020-world-eaters-14.jpg

Edited by KrautScientist

On 4/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, Valkia the Bloody said:

He is stunning!

Such an awesome conversion and the paint job does it justice!

On 4/5/2023 at 7:27 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

Very nice work @k0nahrik. There's so many nice touches on the conversion and paint job :smile: 

On 4/5/2023 at 9:06 PM, Grotsmasha said:

I am always so happy to see the Dornian Heresy get some hobby love, and this is very close if not, the best that I've seen :thumbsup:

On 4/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, Pearson73 said:

The flame motifs on the armour are really fun details and the dusting of the cloak is spot on.

Cheers guys! I’m super stoked this is being received so well, as it initially started as almost a little side project. It’s spiralled quite a bit beyond that with all your encouragement!

On 4/8/2023 at 2:55 PM, KrautScientist said:

Excellent work on the sorcerer! Although I have to say that his backpack looks like the dodgiest part of him, especially given the excellent paintjob on the front of the model. Maybe you could find a way of tweaking the backpack a bit? Even picking out more of the smaller exhausts at the bottom left and right in metal might already make the backpack seem less like a solid, mono-coloured block?

Reveal hidden contents

2020-world-eaters-14.jpg

Cheers! And yeah the backpack on that guy was the last thing I came to and I think I was in a bit of a hurry to get him finished. I will say that the backpack is consistent with the other MKIII packs present (well, technically the only one is on the sergeant) and I kinda feel like it might be cast quality letting it down a little bit - I may go in and retouch the exhausts later on if the issue keeps arising

I also have a minor update today! The modified Tartaros praetor is back and has received a little detailing and a bit of lore to boot!

V21nOh5.jpegI got some press moulding from Jetek Suberei’s sword to add some nice detail to the Dadao. I also lifted a white scars medallion from the side of Suberei’s bike and transplanted it to the centre of the chestplate. A few fur/horsehair fetishes and a new pet bird, and Ganzorig Khan is taking shape!

This guy will be the main leader of the force (in Jaghatai’s absence). Lorewise, there’s no mention of Qin Xa’s fate in the original DH resources, so I’m saying that Qin Xa remained loyal and attempted to console and talk sense into Jaghatai as he spiralled towards corruption. Ganzorig, a sergeant among the ebon keshig who had long since been corrupted to the ways of the dark gods, dispatched Qin Xa at an opportune moment, seizing command of the Keshig and removing an obstacle in the path of Jaghatai’s corruption. 

hopefully Ganzorig will be finished at some point next week! I need to source the right pair of Tartaros armoured legs, and a suitable base I think. He’ll eventually get the hand holding the severed heads from the CSM Master of Executions.

That’s it for this update! Let me know what your thoughts are on Ganzorig and his treachery, and if you’ve got any suggestions for the path the miniature should take. Cheers!

Hey all!

Today I’ve got the finished model for Ganzorig Khan, the leader of the White Scars’ 2nd company and master of the Keshig. 
eWvTSDw.jpeg

tyRGVRh.jpeg
zUyea1l.jpeg

I’m super pleased with how he came out, and can’t wait to get some paint on him. It was really fun to completely deck out a model in White Scars iconography and detail - especially the hanging fetishes at the shoulders, waist, and present on the sword - they all add to the sense of atmosphere that there’s a breeze blowing past as Ganzorig raises his blade to rally the troops. Adding a little companion was also an impulsive touch that I think works really well - the vulture is such an obvious corruption of the noble eagle, and I think the contrast is highlighted even more by the ruined imperial eagle on the base and even the ornamental hawk that forms the cowling of Ganzorig’s modified Tartaros plate. 

he’s a big guy, and I wanted to accentuate that further with a base that’s built up featuring some ruined imperial masonry. I imagine this moment is a freeze frame in time during the white scars’ sacking of Terra at the climax of the dornian siege.

I’ve already got this guy primed and waiting for paint on my desk - he should be all finished soon enough!

Let me know what you think. Cheers!

On 4/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, Naryn said:

Oh man, what a brilliant conversion. The Custodes piece was such a good choice, he looks really unique like a centerpiece model should. The extra detailing since the last post really ties the whole thing together!

Cheers mate!