Some new 10th edition insight, take with a grain of salt.

35 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

Exactly. In fact in some ways it would make it easier for GW to phase out old Marine kits without having to shift unit choices to Legends and thus alienate players.

It is a Tactical Marine or an Intercessor? It doesn't matter anymore, it is just a Marine. It's here to kill Xenos and chew bubblegum. And it's all out of gum! 

exactly. They’ve ported all the characters across directly to primaris and once they expand the wargear options (already started with the bike chaplain and BT Marshall) there will be no role for firstborn equivalents should the keywords not matter. 

in the longer term it would be simple to expand intercessors with an additional frame to give them more tactical / flexible loadouts (I suspect this is coming regardless as there are no sergeant options in the kit) and as for other iconic units, it’s down to gw to decide if terminators and lands raiders survive the inevitable cull. (I personally see no reason the existing drop pod model can’t simply port over)

7 hours ago, Maschinenpriester said:

My biggest gripe with the current system is the I go you go system.

I really hope they finally adress this issue, adapt alternating activations, and take the leap into the 21st century.

My biggest gripe has always been wound rolls before save rolls. It should be;

Hit - Armour Save - Wound - Feel no pain

:0)

Edited by dickyelsdon

On the one hand I hope the Firstborn range doesn't get totally phased out in favour of Primaris replacements; stockiness or not, the Tactical Marines are precious. On the other hand, having the Primaris keyword culled would open up a LOT of potential for conversion/modelling. Imagine if you will de-Primaris'd Bladeguard repped with Breachers!

14 hours ago, Special Officer Doofy said:

No I read the whole thing in all of its context. Leaving orks at T5 but jumping marines to T6, giving their bolters S5. People think so highly of their little marine toys. 

A Marine out of armour is the same stregnth/Toughness as a boy in lore, so S/T5. Then with Armour on top it makes sense they'd be S/T6

12 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

On the one hand I hope the Firstborn range doesn't get totally phased out in favour of Primaris replacements; stockiness or not, the Tactical Marines are precious.

The obvious solution is for GW to release new "Tactical Intercessors" with special/heavy weapons and with old armour bits and heads for variety.

4 minutes ago, lansalt said:

The obvious solution is for GW to release new "Tactical Intercessors" with special/heavy weapons and with old armour bits and heads for variety.

The Intercessor kit is 2 edition old, enough to make a new one

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, I loved my first few games of 9th Edition. It was a step up in quality from 8th.

Being in Lockdown probably helped, as it made me really look forward to being able to game again.

However, the past 18 months or so has become extremely arduous from a gaming standpoint....So much rules bloat, seemingly from nowhere, endless changes to rules/points/CP's, etc. I really wish GW would go digital-only for Codex releases from next edition. Not only would it cost them less (and be less susceptible to shipping delays) in raw materials, but the updates would be automatic via their app.

The ridiculous power creep of the likes of Votann and, before them, Drukhari, made initial games against them to be a waste of time due to lack of fun. It made me shudder as it reminded me of the hellish days of 7th Edition WHFB Daemons and/or Dark Elves being an auto-win most of the time. I get they need to "sell" new releases, but long-term it does more harm than good.

Minor downside of removing the primaris keyword for transports, and heretic astartes have this already, is the size disparity between say 10 Intercessors or 10 new Bezerkers and the Rhino they all just got out of

Deathwatch flyer would be another one, but kinda was already

We'd want more options but a hellblaster and or new missile boy plus some intercessors and you maybe have a tactical squad

How the datasheets work or change is going to be very interesting

1 hour ago, lansalt said:

I'm not sure how easy it'd be to make a kit that can build Firstborn or Primaris given the distinct elements of Mk. X armour, but point taken.

12 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

I'm not sure how easy it'd be to make a kit that can build Firstborn or Primaris given the distinct elements of Mk. X armour, but point taken.

An extra sprue with a few weapons and heads like they did with cadians or Phobos marines would turn Intercessors into tacticals easily.

8 minutes ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

My source said it’ll never happen.

What do you mean?

42 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Minor downside of removing the primaris keyword for transports, and heretic astartes have this already, is the size disparity between say 10 Intercessors or 10 new Bezerkers and the Rhino they all just got out of

Deathwatch flyer would be another one, but kinda was already

We all know the answer. Primaris scaled rhinos and landraiders to replace your old kits, of course.

Edited by Arikel

Tanks are deliberately undersized in the game on purpose. Jes Goodwin confirmed it in an interview once.

If rhinos were properly to scale with marines, it would take their whole move to get from the rear hatch to the front of the tank.

It's one of the cool things about printing epic models, you can rescale the rhinos to be the right size!

23 minutes ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

If rhinos were properly to scale with marines, it would take their whole move to get from the rear hatch to the front of the tank

Isn't that rather moot now that hatches aren't used. You don't need to get to the hatch - just any part of the vehicle. 

Tbf if 10th brings some better scaled vehicles I wouldn't mind. 

I just want to put some hellblaster in a drop pod. Which by the sounds of these rumours....it might be possible.

4 hours ago, ChapterMasterGodfrey said:

A Marine out of armour is the same stregnth/Toughness as a boy in lore, so S/T5. Then with Armour on top it makes sense they'd be S/T6

Part of that is the lore is intentionally written to make each faction the best - depending on your point of view.

The other part is that Marines have 2 wounds and a 3+ save - which represents both their toughness and their enhanced armor. Boyz on the other hand, have a 6+ save, and so the T5 is pretty much their only representation of the fact that they are supposed to be giant raging monsters compared to a normal human. Power Armor doesn't improve your toughness, otherwise, Sisters/Inquisitors would be T4.

38 minutes ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

KEYWORD. Geedub stopped catering to special interest groups long ago.

Without something to reinforce that assertion it seems less likely they'd leave it in and continue to support manlets at this point. Removing it simplifies the range and options hugely and allows some kits to go away.

5 hours ago, ChapterMasterGodfrey said:

Nope, and the rules/game don't reflect that.

Edited by Special Officer Doofy

I think you could cut down on the stratagem abuse by limiting the types of stratagems that can be used, all the stratagems are categorised and include matching colours across codexes so why not just build on that?

eg only one heroic deed per turn/only one of the red category ones (that give additional warlord traits or relics) etc. All the codexes still get a load of options but you're far less likely to break the game if each category of stratagem can only be used at strictly limited times