Some new 10th edition insight, take with a grain of salt.

6 hours ago, lansalt said:

The obvious solution is for GW to release new "Tactical Intercessors" with special/heavy weapons and with old armour bits and heads for variety.

I don’t think that’s the obvious solution though? As many gamers prefer MKVII to MKX and we already have very new MKX sculpts 

The obvious solution would be to just update the Firstborn range and drop the Primaris keyword 

So everyone’s happy 

Edited by WARMASTER_

23 minutes ago, WARMASTER_ said:

I don’t think that’s the obvious solution though? As many gamers prefer MKVII to MKX and we already have very new MKX sculpts 

The obvious solution would be to just update the Firstborn range and drop the Primaris keyword

MkX is the replacement of MkVII just like MkVII replaced beakies in 2nd edition. Primaris already have units like assault intercessors that are obvious replacements of the older versions (and will probably get jump packs this year), and as I said, an extra Intercessor sprue with the stuff needed to make them "tacticals" (and a few old helmets for the nostalgia factor) would make the current tacticals kit obsolete from a product design point of view.

I think devastators are the only classic unit without an easy upgrade path, as GW has spread through several distinct units their weapons.

44 minutes ago, Emperor Ming said:

Or Gw could just make a primaris drop pod, which is bigger more expensive and already in the lore:laugh:

Let's not forget that Repulsors, and by extension maybe Impulsors, are capable of deep striking if the books are to be believed.

41 minutes ago, lansalt said:

MkX is the replacement of MkVII just like MkVII replaced beakies in 2nd edition. Primaris already have units like assault intercessors that are obvious replacements of the older versions (and will probably get jump packs this year), and as I said, an extra Intercessor sprue with the stuff needed to make them "tacticals" (and a few old helmets for the nostalgia factor) would make the current tacticals kit obsolete from a product design point of view.

I think devastators are the only classic unit without an easy upgrade path, as GW has spread through several distinct units their weapons.

And beakies still exist, in fact they got a new kit for HH. We can have both, you know?

rather than doing a new "first born" kit, it would probably make more sense to do tactical squads that integrate mkX into them. So... you get a couple of mk7, a couple of mkx and one of each of the other mks or something. All scaled appropriately (so the mkx would be very slightly taller, but not such a big difference as currently there is).

That would be the way to break the divide. Not "lets make more firstborn kits", the whole point of the move would be to properly integrate the concepts to show that primaris marines in mkx are now part of the normal structures.

1 hour ago, jimbo1701 said:

God I miss my deep striking blood angels land raiders 

I bet your opponents don't. :biggrin: Much as I love some of the old books, that one always was a tad silly, and I say that as a BA player since 1st edition. 

image_400x400.jpg

7 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

I bet your opponents don't. :biggrin: Much as I love some of the old books, that one always was a tad silly, and I say that as a BA player since 1st edition. 

image_400x400.jpg

Was typical of the mat ward era. I actually only used them a couple of times in deep strike and they never made a significant impact on the game. Give me jump packs every time. 

Yeah, the Blood Angels 'dex had some nonsense. There was some cool stuff (Librarian Dreadnoughts, Sanguinary Guard and Astorath spring to mind) but deep-striking Land Raiders is just too much IMO. Airdropping Rhinos and Predators would have been fine (airdropped tanks have been tried before with stuff like the Sheridan) but a big heavy landship like the Land Raider, nooooooo. And then there's said Librarian Dreadnoughts having access to a psychic power that let them fly...

Some great kits from that era though, the plastic Furioso and Death Company are winners and the metal character models from that era rocked. Gabriel Seth and Chaplain Lemartes are top notch sculpts in particular.

I'm kind of agreement about having mixed Primaris and Firstborn sculpts in a theoretical Tactical refresh actually, now that I think about it. Just combining both ranges into one would both allow for Primaris to stay "a thing" without making Firstborn obsolete, and would also make army building a lot more fun, as there'd be one less bit of keyword bingo to worry about. Want to take Bladeguard in a Rhino? You can! I dunno, seems like a slight element of granularity I'm actually in favour of removing.

11 hours ago, dickyelsdon said:

My biggest gripe has always been wound rolls before save rolls. It should be;

Hit - Armour Save - Wound - Feel no pain

:0)

I used to think the same way, until it dawned on me: the wound roll isn't checking to see whether the shot has hurt the enemy; it's checking to see whether the shot was accurate enough that it would hurt the enemy.

In other words: roll to hit checks to see whether you've hit the silhouette of the target, while a roll to wound checks to see if you've hit something that's important to measure at this scale, and then your opponent rolls to save. For example, hitting a Space Marine's leg with a lasgun is unlikely to cause damage that is relevant to keep track of in a game of 40k, whether it penetrates the armour or not, so there's no point in rolling a save.

When you think of it like that, the roll to wound is more related to the roll to hit (i.e. you are seeing how good the shot was), so makes sense to roll along with the roll to hit. Yes, you could make the inverse argument (there's no point rolling to wound if the shot was stopped by armour), but keeping related rolls together makes more sense IMHO.

It also saves effort in counting out dice, since it's easier for the attacking player to roll to hit, take out the successful dice and just roll them straight away to see if they wound. If you were to do hit-save-wound, then Player A counts out dice and rolls to hit, Player B counts out dice and rolls to save, then Player A counts out dice and rolls to wound.

Now, the thing that bugs me is variable damage attacks. What does a D3 or D6 Damage characteristic mean? Whether or not you've hit something important? If that's it, then why not tie it to the wound roll, which already represents that?

1 hour ago, Evil Eye said:

I'm kind of agreement about having mixed Primaris and Firstborn sculpts in a theoretical Tactical refresh actually, now that I think about it. Just combining both ranges into one would both allow for Primaris to stay "a thing" without making Firstborn obsolete, and would also make army building a lot more fun, as there'd be one less bit of keyword bingo to worry about. Want to take Bladeguard in a Rhino? You can! I dunno, seems like a slight element of granularity I'm actually in favour of removing.

people have a hot new partybus (spartan) it yearns for occupants

locking sheets to exact kits is part of the problem, otherwise you could condense all land speeders into one or two sheets and give them a nice chunk of options to pick from to represent all the different speeders that exist
I don't think they so much need to refresh the tactical kits instead of just continue as is, the latest Mk VI and soon Mk II probably give plenty of space to mix-and-match your intercessors

41 minutes ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

Intercessor squad with a portable onsluaght gatling cannon some day.

*glances side-eye at the Chaos Legionary with RCC*

As awesome as it would be to see this on the table, it's probably unlikely to happen anytime soon. While GW is no stranger to overlapping roles they've tried to minimize it with Primaris so far and an Onslaught squad would basically fill the same niche as Aggressors, Bolter Inceptors, and even Heavy Intercessors to an extent. Not saying it won't happen, but I would guess it's pretty low on the totem pole of releases.

On 1/25/2023 at 3:30 AM, Halandaar said:

Not getting a supplement book doesn't mean they were ignored;  they got a rules update in the SM Codex and Ultramarines even got a new named character (Uriel Ventris) during 9th Edition.

I completely agree that unit abilities should be on unit datasheets. Having them as stratagems means only a portion of your units can actually use their core/signature abilities each game (and typically most units don't get to use theirs at all so a handful can use theirs repeatedly). But it's not a simple change to make given how many datasheet amendments it'd require. 

i'd disagree on the ignored part, They didnt really get updated, Calgar still had D3 powerfists compared to baseline 2 dmg on every other fists as i understand it. Guilliman's stats didnt really change at all and kept basically everything from 8th. 

And This seems more plausible than another reset, there doesn't really seem to be people disliking 9th edition base rules just the individual strategems for each army along side removing stuff from datasheets to make strats.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if it constitutes some threadomancy, it didn't seem worth opening a new one:

Latest Valrak video lays out potential release of 10th as 24th June and regards a rewrite, the context was that index books would be provided.

Stipulations that WE was a preview of what's to come, much pruning back on the piles of guff, with a potential angle to be more welcoming to fresh faced newbies who enter the hobby via shows on prime etc.

It's important to note Valrak said his sources indicated June 24th is the release date for 40K 10th and there'd be Indexes for the edition but it was his conjecture regarding the World Eaters Codex indicating what is to come.

41 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

Sorry if it constitutes some threadomancy, it didn't seem worth opening a new one:

Latest Valrak video lays out potential release of 10th as 24th June and regards a rewrite, the context was that index books would be provided.

Stipulations that WE was a preview of what's to come, much pruning back on the piles of guff, with a potential angle to be more welcoming to fresh faced newbies who enter the hobby via shows on prime etc.

I know somebody that works at the Memphis offices that says about the same. Much more streamlined almost like 5th edition and 8th edition had a successor was the words used. However the man loves his cbd gummies so take it for what it’s worth or maybe not worth. I’m not a professional rumor monger. 

Just now, jaxom said:

I've not been up on the news, but are Astra Militarum, Votann, and World Eaters the new 10th compatible or just WE?

I think either all are compatible, or none are. I don't think we'll know what anything means until they actually say it.