Strike Force Agastus

Guest Triszin

16 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I’ll get it, because it’ll bring my heavy intercessors to a full 10, it’ll give me a “furioso”, I like the lieutenant and think it’ll have some nice bits for other marines. I dunno if I can salvage the desolation squad, but we shall see

I'm debating whether to try or to move on and wait for the Dreadnought. My opinion of them hasn't increased over time, definitely a sculpt that needed to have been flagged in the design process.

It’s possible that the WHC writers are simply throw backs to 2nd Edition, when the Superkrak and Frag were labeled as missiles that were fired from a Missile Launcher, so they aren’t up on the possible misuse of terms by the GW rules authors.

After all, in modern understanding, missiles can be rocket propelled, but are generally guided, and can be man-portable, while rockets are eponymously rocket propelled, but unguided.  So if those targeting lenses on the weapons do lock a target that the rocket propelled explosive projectile is guided to, then it would rightly be termed a missile, and the tube that is used to launch it would rightfully be called a launcher.  Additionally, rockets and missiles can both be used for indirect fire, so simple delineation by direct vs. indirect fire is also not possible.

Edited by Tyriks
Removed quote from hidden post

16 hours ago, Bryan Blaire said:

It’s possible that the WHC writers are simply throw backs to 2nd Edition, when the Superkrak and Frag were labeled as missiles that were fired from a Missile Launcher, so they aren’t up on the possible misuse of terms by the GW rules authors.

Superfrag and Superkrak Missiles exist in the current edition already. They're ammo for the Hammerfall bunker's missile launcher.

As much as people have been complaining about the Desolators' rocket launchers being too unwieldy, I might actually agree with them if they were trying to lug around Missile Launchers capable of firing the Hammerfall's ammo.

Edited by Tyriks
edited quote

Their rocket launchers look extremely stupid. I think I might convert them to see what is the best I can get out of them, but I'm under no illusion that they look good.

We can go into the lore or whatever of what missiles they're shooting, but at the end of the day, the models do not look good.

Note that even with that opinion, I will probably pick up the box, but I'm going to have to see what I can make out of that kit. I don't know what I'm going to do yet.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
made it a little less abrasive when not necessary

I debated getting the box...but I think I'm done play Astartes in 40k. At least for the time being. It'll be interesting seeing the modifications people do to the desolators. While I'm not feeling strongly either way I love seeing what others come up with.

I was hoping it would be less, that means it’s likely a saving of 15-20 quid right? Basically, you don’t even get the lieutenant free? Which means waiting for the Brutalis and lieutenant to get individual releases is so much cheaper it’s almost not worth looking at the set except if you either love the desolation squad or really need heavy intercessors too (and even then, not sure it would be worth it unless you specifically want both)

19 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

I was hoping it would be less, that means it’s likely a saving of 15-20 quid right? Basically, you don’t even get the lieutenant free? Which means waiting for the Brutalis and lieutenant to get individual releases is so much cheaper it’s almost not worth looking at the set except if you either love the desolation squad or really need heavy intercessors too (and even then, not sure it would be worth it unless you specifically want both)

Well if you presume that a Brutalis costs the same as a Redemptor (£42.50) and the Desolators cost the same as Assault Intercessors (£37.50), add the Heavy Intercessors (£40) then that's exactly £120, so yes, you do get the Lieutenant for "free". (There's a probably also a slight discount involved on the Dreadnought because you're getting it here at the 2022 Redemptor price, which we know is going up in March per the USD price file)

But yeah, the box is only worth getting if you actively want the Desolators and Heavy Intercessors, but that's the same for all boxes, no? It's only good value it costs the same or less than the standalone price of the contents you want.

4 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Well if you presume that a Brutalis costs the same as a Redemptor (£42.50) and the Desolators cost the same as Assault Intercessors (£37.50), add the Heavy Intercessors (£40) then that's exactly £120, so yes, you do get the Lieutenant for "free". (There's a probably also a slight discount involved on the Dreadnought because you're getting it here at the 2022 Redemptor price, which we know is going up in March per the USD price file)

But yeah, the box is only worth getting if you actively want the Desolators and Heavy Intercessors, but that's the same for all boxes, no? It's only good value it costs the same or less than the standalone price of the contents you want.

Are those prices including the price increases?

Just now, Cryptshadow said:

Are those prices including the price increases?

According to the price file from last week, of the three kits referenced only the Redemptor is going up (Heavy and Assault Intercessors are staying the same price they are now, in USD at least)

34 minutes ago, Blindhamster said:

It's pretty much the Lieutenant for free. Though I'm sure they'd claim the rules and fluff booklet counts towards the value as well (it really doesn't).

Are we certain that the Desolators come as a box of 10? If they're going to be 5 to a box then the saving will end up being quite a bit more.

14 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

Do we know if the Desolators will be 10 to a box? Would expect them to be 5 like Heavy Intercessors, maybe not at the same price as those but still more than Assault Intercessors for 10

Edited by Matrindur

1 minute ago, Doobles88 said:

It's pretty much the Lieutenant for free. Though I'm sure they'd claim the rules and fluff booklet counts towards the value as well (it really doesn't).

Are we certain that the Desolators come as a box of 10? If they're going to be 5 to a box then the saving will end up being quite a bit more.

Not certain, but afaik the only 5-man Primaris release so far was Heavy Intercessors. Everything else was either in 10s (Intercessors, Assault Intercessors, Hellblasters, Infiltrators, Reivers)* or 3s (Aggressors, Eliminators, Bladeguard, Inceptors, Eradicators)

*Obviously some of these things get boxed as 5's in Combat Patrols or with upgrade sprues like Death Company Intercessors and Hounds of Morkai, but the main kits have always been 10-man.

It's a shame. This box would've been an instant buy for me, but those desolators are such a turn off. Though I have to say that they look better when seen from a distance in the group shots instead the first released close ups. But that's not the best attribute I guess :-D 

I also find it impressive that this box, and in particular those desolators spawned a thread with 22 pages till today. 

Edited by Rhavien

That's going to be what, $200 in USD? Ends up as like a 10% reduction over the sum of the kits, I think I'm just going to wait until the standalone releases.

Makes me think a Codex was supposed to be in it and they dropped the book, but kept the price. *This may be more accurate than I'd think - if I add in the cost for Codex + Datacards, it ends up pretty close to that 30-35% sweet spot they like on the discounts.

That, or desolation squads are ridiculously expensive at like $60 USD for 5.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion
added calculation