Wrath of the Soul Forge King boxset

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Reminds me very much of the Prophecy of the Wolf kit from Psychic Awakening. Ragnar and Ghazkull were the new hotness, everything else was just to make up the numbers.

Is Makari nothing to you?

6 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

I agree that this mix of two Factions habit is horrible.

As much as I'd like to restart a Chaos army there is no way I'd do it with this kit. From another perspective imagine being newish to the game and having two factions in one box... horrible.

Vashtarr is an awesome model but the rest are disjointed pile of meh.

Azrael is a must have for us DA but as some have rightly mentioned apart from the Characters if you already have these armies you probably already have the non character units.

Oh well, bright side is Azzy might be available cheaply on trade sites. That being said it's so disjointed for the non character units what bits would you even buy it for? 

The hope is to entice friends to start together 

I actually think the DA’s side is solid, Azrael Is a great new sculpt, DW Terminators are an old but great kit, Intercessors are again getting older but basically like throwing an old Tac squad in, It’s solid not exiting but definitely solid for new or vet players 

Chaos sides… Ok? Vashtorr might be one of the best models GW has ever made, The Venom Crawler is also a very nice model, the rest are very Meh but that’s only 2 kits in the whole box id get rid of

On 1/27/2023 at 11:00 AM, apologist said:

It might be pointed out that clearing out old stock ahead of a new release is a sensible commercial decision. Whether the presence of these here adds weight to the rumours of new Terminators in a big 10th edition box... well, that'll be up to you to decide.

Using new special characters as exclusives to help sell older models is a strategy GW have used (presumably quite successfully) for these boxes, given the model is repeated fairly frequently.

I don't get quite understand how this idea is meant to work. Are they unboxing already produced stuff to put them in these boxes? Did they make a far larger run of all of them than they could actually sell and they've just been sitting around unboxed? Surely they have estimates of amounts they're likely to sell and produce to that? Making too many to the point they're able to both meet that demand + still have enough for an entirely different new box makes a lot less sense to me than them just making more of these for this.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

10 hours ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

The hope is to entice friends to start together 

As in start playing 40k together, or start new armies together? When I think of new player starter sets I think of rulebooks, some dice, red whippy sticks etc.

4 hours ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Do you collect both armies?

Not trying to be silly, even if you do most don't. 

That's the point.

I actually love all the minis except the Intersessors, but I don't think many people will want them all in one set.

I do, but yeh true I agree most won’t 

To be honest though I’m probably in the minority in the fact I actually don’t mind waiting for the kits to come out separately also 

1 hour ago, TheVoidDragon said:

I don't get quite understand how this idea is meant to work. Are they unboxing already produced stuff to put them in these boxes? Did they make a far larger run of all of them than they could actually sell and they've just been sitting around unboxed? Surely they have estimates of amounts they're likely to sell and produce to that? Making too many to the point they're able to both meet that demand + still have enough for an entirely different new box makes a lot less sense to me than them just making more of these for this.

To be honest I think this quite a lot when it’s said. In my mind rather than actually having the stock lay around, they’ll just print the estimated demand of the older models for the boxset with the plus side of getting more ROI on that particular kit  now 

At least that’s the only real way it makes any sense business wise in my mind 

4 hours ago, TheVoidDragon said:

I doubt they are unboxing things just to make the contents of these boxes (though they may be doing that to some extent if they know that a product is going to be pulled later or completely reboxed - like between editions/rebranding), but it is likely that they do have some unboxed stock in the warehouse - probably not enough to fulfill all the requirements of these boxes though, so they likely use some of that stock as well as making more for these boxes.

I’ve never been inside GW’s production though, so I’m not sure exactly how their production works compared to say the Airfix/scale model production that folks have made videos being taken into.  Those locations definitely have stock sorted in bins to be put into boxes after production - it’s not a “produce plastic, stuff directly into box” situation for those.  GW may be though, I’ve never seen anyone comment on how it works inside GW.

Edited by Bryan Blaire

I know it's not good to derail a thread but I just noticed Cypher is marked as out of stock on GWs website. I notice this is usually the case when they are either just about to release a new model of a character or are going to really push the model in a different way (as part of a battle box for example). Or it could just be that he's really big in the meta right now and GW have had a run on him. (I don't think so)

With all the discussion about dark angels and battle boxes in this thread what do you think?

32 minutes ago, Craig said:

I know it's not good to derail a thread but I just noticed Cypher is marked as out of stock on GWs website. I notice this is usually the case when they are either just about to release a new model of a character or are going to really push the model in a different way (as part of a battle box for example). Or it could just be that he's really big in the meta right now and GW have had a run on him. (I don't think so)

With all the discussion about dark angels and battle boxes in this thread what do you think?

More often it really means nothing or is just coincedence though ( I have seen cypher specifically more out of stock than in stock for the past year or two), its not necessarily unrelated, but the likeliest relation in such a case is one that sounds less satisfying; that simply because there is so much talk of dark angels/the fallen etc. in social media that people are made aware or are reminded of cypher's existence peaking interest and sales of the miniature.

I think its the same explanation when it happens other times, because if it was something indicative of the industry side, it wouldnt be selective and affect all of the miniatures coming in boxes or getting resculpts etc. but this is far from the case.

I could see cypher being perfect for a boarding patrol box, but I think they are more limited than that.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:48 AM, Lord_Ikka said:

Ugh, that DA box is pretty crap- Azrael himself and the termies are ok, but no one needs any more Intercessors. 

Agreed! Terminators are ok for a DA box set yea and def good on the field, but tbh unless you’re a new DA player we all have more than enough terminators by this point.  They should have made them Bladeguard. Also agree on not needing or wanting the intercessions personally but also understand that there are still a lot of DA players expanding and upgrading their armies to Primaris so I see the “need” for them for  people 

On 1/28/2023 at 2:52 PM, Marshal Reinhard said:

This is an interesting question though. He says, based on what he sees, that models themselves are classic, but chunkier. Elsewhere, claims have been made that their rules are 'primaris'. Valrak himself suggests the distinction between classic and primaris is going away.

Just want to clear this up as it seems some of my stuff is being taken out of content.

The source who gave me this information said the Terminators basically just looked a more chunky (scale wise) what we already have now, I haven't seen any of this so I cannot confirm it. Also when it comes to rumours, you have to realise its like Chinese whispers, it probably passes through a few people until I'm talking about it. 

Now with Primaris Terminators thing, I've stated that I PERSONALLY think they're firstborn because of the rumours of the keyword stuff, that's not to say they will be, maybe they're doing so Primaris and Firstborn lore wise can take terminator armour.

All I know for defiant is that we are getting new Terminator models, whatever they will look like.

Hope that helps everyone :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Today's Arks of Omen article is largely a fluff bit but it does have confirmation that Vahstorr and Azrael will both have PDF downloads for their datasheets

Arks of Omen: Vashtorr is coming to pre-orders later this month, so join us next week as we delve further into the book with datasheet downloads for Vashtorr and Grand Master Azrael. 

Assumably this also means this boxset is up for preorder at the same time