2023 Event-Exclusive Miniature – The Commissar’s Duty

I think it makes a certain amount of sense that he's not looking directly at where he's aiming; if this is a field execution, presumably this isn't something like a long-range shot against a moving target. The poor sap he's shooting is probably standing right there just off his base. He's looking at somebody else, making a point that this could be you if you don't get your stuff together.

I also like that he's got another visible pistol (presumably a laspistol) holstered. That also makes sense to me from a logistics perspective; the field execution is inherently a theatrical, performative act of discipline. You don't shoot the one guy because he broke and ran, you shoot him so your other troops don't. The bolt pistol fits that - it's loud and flashy and iconic. But for a lot of other use, a laspistol is significantly more handy and easier to keep in action.

After all, Ciaphas Cain can't be wrong, eh?

8 minutes ago, darkangels91 said:

Crap you’re right, he’s looking you dead in the eyes like you’re next. 

I don't do muzzle effects but it would tempt me to have a smoking muzzle, not sure if appropriate for a Bolt Pistol.

Edited by Hfran Morkai
My phone really doesn't like me posting on the B&C

4 hours ago, Hfran Morkai said:

I don't do muzzle effects but it would tempt me to have a smoking muzzle, not sure if appropriate for a Bolt Pistol.

Unless the propellant for the initial firing stage (the casing) is some kind of future substance that burns 100% efficient there will be smoke.

And even if we incorrectly assume bolts to be caseless and ignite their propellant inside the barrel, the muzzle will be left smoking.

11 hours ago, Doghouse said:

Now that I like a lot! :thumbsup:

Just noticed the unplugged power cable for the sword, that is a really nice touch.

I wasn't sure what was on his non bolt pistol wrist so thank you for this! That's a fab piece of detail.