On the robe, I think it's thinner than it looks like from this angle. For his right arm anyway. When you look at the left arm it's not that bad. The painting plus photo angle makes it look like we're seeing an edge straight on. But I think it might slope inward and they just didn't paint a transition in there (coupled with the stark black shadow part).

Edit: looking at it again, it looks like they put an edge highlight right at the point where the black starts, making it look like it's a raised edge which might be the culprit.

Edited by matcap86

1 hour ago, matcap86 said:

On the robe, I think it's thinner than it looks like from this angle. For his right arm anyway. When you look at the left arm it's not that bad. The painting plus photo angle makes it look like we're seeing an edge straight on. But I think it might slope inward and they just didn't paint a transition in there (coupled with the stark black shadow part).

Edit: looking at it again, it looks like they put an edge highlight right at the point where the black starts, making it look like it's a raised edge which might be the culprit.

I see what you mean. The cloth is about a third of the thickness it appears due to the backwards highlights.

4 hours ago, Dagoth Ur said:

Cool mini right up until I noticed just how thick the sculpt of the fabric on those sleeves is. Jesus Christ, does nobody at Forgeworld know how to sculpt cloth properly anymore? This has been a reoccurring issue in the past 4-5 years or so.

Idk, the Chaos Snuggy is kind of cute...

4 hours ago, bushman101 said:

Neat model, surprised it doesn't mention a loyalist option 

4 hours ago, de Selby said:

Nice to see new consul models. Bit surprised there is no loyalist staff option.

I would imagine a loyalist model might be on the way? Great little model though although I wish it was in MKV 

Edited by WARMASTER_

I'm actually a little surprised and disappointed that it's not plastic. I have no problem with resin so that's a first for me.

Guess I just hoped they would start doing more of the generic stuff in plastic.

Nice model though. Make a good Zahariel.

Palpatine, is that you? No? Wow, no need to flip me off for asking.
This is a nice mini, lots of great details. I'd really like to see him standing next to something for size comparison, but he looks like he'd make a really nice sorcerer (or a very fancy balefire acolyte for KT) for those of us wanting to bring him into later millennia.
By the way, was this staff featured in a rumour engine some time ago?

Interesting. I like the sculpt.

Whilst I'm not 100% sold on using him as such, I can see potential using him as a basis for a Sixth Legion one, maybe runes/eyes of aversion on the cloak. Book liberated from Prospero.

Maybe swap some of the trappings for more appropriate Sixth Legion stuff.

Or I could use him as part of a small force for another Legion.

Edited by Hfran Morkai

I freakin' love this model! Gonna get a couple of them when I get the money for them.
They just SCREAM Dark Angels (Loyal or Traitor.)

Edit - it was mentioned by someone it feels a little too traitory due to the eye of horus vibe. I can only see eye of horus vibe from the staff top, which will be easy to change up.
Another said something about the sleeves being too thick. Pretty sure its like that to help not break as it's very likely a 5 piece mini. Head, powerpack, body, left arm with staff, and right arm held out.
Also the sleeve is very likely not far in on that shadowy area, and as said, done that way due to lessening the chance of breaking if it were two parts.
Another said something about wishing there was a non psychic hood version. It's attached to the powerpack, so it should be as easy as just putting a different pack on him.

Edited by Harleqvin
just adding.

Fw certainly used to be able to make fine robes that didn't break, I suspect it's the change from producing high end fancy toys like the original fw enginseer to mass production of space marines, which lets be honest, are the most basic thing in 40k :D

On 2/2/2023 at 11:19 AM, Vassakov said:

I'll be interested to see this unpainted, as a couple of people have pointed out it might be an unfortunate angle issue.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it's solid resin, and not hollow.  There isn't a single undercut to take advantage of the resin medium on the whole model, and it's pretty disappointing that they couldn't sculpt that sleeve in a way that you didn't have to paint the illusion of it not being a solid brick.

I think it’s ingenious as there’s much less chance of breakage plus who can tell the difference on the table top seriously ? It’s like the one thing deemed negative so certain fraters have to keep bringing it up over and over again… sigh

3 hours ago, BLACK BLΠFLY said:

I think it’s ingenious as there’s much less chance of breakage plus who can tell the difference on the table top seriously ? It’s like the one thing deemed negative so certain fraters have to keep bringing it up over and over again… sigh

Well the whole premise of forgeworld was to offer a higher level of quality that plastic sculpts were unable to at the time, marketed as more collector's items. That was the case until...a couple of years ago with the space wolf debacle. 

Go compare the sleeves to what the sisters of battle get. Or any of the details to modern day plastic kits.