Noob (believe it or not) and Crimson Fists planning

Forté

Okay... quick disclaimer before someone goes "hold on... you're not a noob!". To 40k... definitely not. Was playing from 1st edition but really fell out of love with it quite a few years ago and was a mod in the Chaos forum at the time. However; I've got a few friends who are playing and I've got the bug to play with them.

Now... I've started painting Crimson Fists for a couple of reasons:

1. They're pretty quick to paint over a black base,

2. My first Space Marines (the RTB01 Wombles) were painted as Crimson Fists because the box art was just soooo good for a young teen.

So on to the point.

I've pretty much lost track of 40K and what works vs what doesn't. From what I can tell the current version of Crimson Fists possibly benefit from keeping squads small but do you now bother kitting out sergeants where you can.

I'm looking more at just going the Primaris route and only around 1000 points. Have been looking at the following but am not sure how well they would work:

• Intercessors with auto bolt rifles,

• Heavy Intercessors,

• Hellblasters,

• Exterminators

Thanks in advance for any bits of info :biggrin:

Here's the painting so far...

20230223_225616.thumb.jpg.bfd78bc20293afee0b37d222117ae23d.jpg

I'm in a similar position, just getting back into the hobby from a 16 year break. I first got into the hobby towards the back of 3rd edition as a nipper who had an older brother who played.

Foolishly I chose Ultramarines as they were the box art, and regret it to this day.

As I'm looking to get back in, I'm leaning towards the Crimson Fists.

From what I've seen it's always worth putting a power fist or thunder hammer on the Sargents. Probably a power fist for thematic reasons. 

Personally I'm looking to get som Aggressors and Inceptors as I like the look of the models and the bolter dakka.

The heavy intercessor or standard intercessor question is something I'm toying with myself, and then there's which load out. I guess either can work and it just comes down to preferences. 

I'm crossing my fingers that Pedro Kantor has a new model released soon.

Cheers @Galvinized

I'm not fussed about Pedro. Never been one to go for the named characters. Even back in to 90s it just puzzled me how so many battle locations had the same characters fighting in. Made the whole setting feel tiny for me. Silly, I know.

I suppose when it comes to Sgt weapons I just got so used to them having points costs that I avoided them for more ranged squads. Need to get out of that habit.

I think you may have my mate Doogie on facebook, hes a big fists player, not sure if hes up to scratch with current edition though, not spoken to him much recently about current 40k. It might be worth picking his brains.

So...

How bad does this look as a starting point?

++ Boarding Patrol (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [30 PL, 1CP, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [5 PL, 80pts]

. Heavy bolt pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Relic shield

+ Troops +

Infiltrator Squad [12 PL, 180pts]: Helix gauntlet

. 8x Infiltrator

. Infiltrator Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 150pts]: Plasma incinerator

. 4x Hellblaster

. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Or there's changing out the Infiltrators for Heavy Intercessors.

++ Boarding Patrol (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [30 PL, 1CP, 489pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [5 PL, 80pts]

+ Troops +

Heavy Intercessor Squad [7 PL, 115pts]: Hellstorm bolt rifle, Hellstorm heavy bolter

. 4x Heavy Intercessor:

. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 144pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Auto Bolt Rifle

. 7x Intercessor:

+ Heavy Support +

. 4x Hellblaster

. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

Welcome back, I recognized you for your Emperor’s Children in the past. I feel like the Heavy Intercessor list might be the more “fluffy” version. I am not that experienced on the gameplay portion of it so take it with a grain of salt but you could always leave out the 3 extra intercessors and make that just a squad of 5 and include a primaris lieutenant instead for the rerolls and to try and keep the chapter tactic active. I believe that would put that list up to 500 points exactly.

23 minutes ago, TheBloodSpitter said:

Welcome back, I recognized you for your Emperor’s Children in the past. I feel like the Heavy Intercessor list might be the more “fluffy” version. I am not that experienced on the gameplay portion of it so take it with a grain of salt but you could always leave out the 3 extra intercessors and make that just a squad of 5 and include a primaris lieutenant instead for the rerolls and to try and keep the chapter tactic active. I believe that would put that list up to 500 points exactly.

Ah, my Divine Flayers. Never finished but they were fun to create.

Only issue with the suggestion is that Boarding Actions only let's you take a single HQ. Shame though as the lower model count does sound fun and fitting for CF. Maybe as starting point for something bigger though.

Edited by Forté

3 minutes ago, Forté said:

Ah, my Divine Flayers. Never finished but they were fun to create.

Only issue with the suggestion is that Boarding Actions only let's you take a single HQ. Shame though as the lower model count does sound fun and fitting for CF. Maybe as starting point for something bigger though.

Ah entirely my bad there. The thing with bording action is you have to take intercessors in squads of 5 or 10 though as far as I am aware. I had a similar hole when I was wanting to take a gravis captain but I ended up switching him out for bladeguard vets.

Boarding Patrol - 500 Points

1x Primaris Lieutenant - 65 Points

5x Intercessors - 90 Points

5x Hellblasters - 150 Points

3x Bladeguard Veterans - 105 Points

You’re running crimson fists and I am doing normal imperial fists so it might be different but that’s what I was looking at for mine.

33 minutes ago, TheBloodSpitter said:

Ah entirely my bad there. The thing with bording action is you have to take intercessors in squads of 5 or 10 though as far as I am aware. I had a similar hole when I was wanting to take a gravis captain but I ended up switching him out for bladeguard vets.

Boarding Patrol - 500 Points

1x Primaris Lieutenant - 65 Points

5x Hellblasters - 150 Points

3x Bladeguard Veterans - 105 Points

You’re running crimson fists and I am doing normal imperial fists so it might be different but that’s what I was looking at for mine.

Completely makes sense. Nice little list there too. Could still work for CF.

Okay, I've been playing around with small 500pt lists and I think it comes down to either a Primaris Captain and Aggressor Squad or Primaris Lt and Bladeguard Squad.

Like this:

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [29 PL, 3CP, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain [5 PL, 80pts]: Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [6 PL, 90pts]:

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Or....

++ Patrol Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Imperial Fists) [28 PL, 3CP, 500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Primaris Lieutenant [5 PL, 65pts]: Warlord

. Neo-volkite pistol, Master-crafted power sword and Storm Shield

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 90pts]: Astartes Grenade Launcher, Bolt Rifle

+ Elites +

Bladeguard Veteran Squad [5 PL, 105pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 150pts]: