Be interesting to see what the Votann upgrade sprue is, since I doubt Beastmen would just be a Tzaangor upgrade? Hopefully it's something to make them a new 40k unit, rather than just more visual bits for Warriors. 

I guess my Hernkyn Ranger dreams will have to wait for Wave 2 of their 40k release.

Edited by Lord Marshal

Hoping for new Votann- I would be a bit of a missed opportunity to  just add Hearthkyn to the box instead of brining in a new unit. Its a great kit already with tons of options and the faction is so small. I guess I was expecting them to expand the range with a killteam set, its like if Eldar players got the new guardian kit as their KT-nice but other things are needed. Have they put in any modern squad kits with upgrade frames? Was the chaos marines set new?

I'm very pleased with the Votann. They were suggested to me as the next team by GW store staff (but they could have got the idea from Valrak)  and, thematically, a Votann salvage team on a space hulk works for me.

I'm less sure about Beastmen.  I'm up for the nostalgia but KT rosters are quite formulaic (Leader, Close Combat, Medic, Comms, Heavy Weapon, etc) so I'm hoping the rules make them interesting rather than just Kroot wearing goat masks. To be fair to the design team, I think they have done a good job on the teams so far (I have them but not played them - it's a long term project!).

Of course, I wasn't sure about the Kroot when they were first revealed and now love them!

6 hours ago, Joe said:

As of 8E lore the Imperium stopped raising and fielding abhuman regiments (specifically, Beastmen) due to the massive increase in violence against them post-Great Rift; with a significant number being driven into the arms of Chaos as a result. I don't know if that's carried into 9E since they brought the clock back a bit.

I do wonder why the Imperium would give a hoot? They're abhumans, it's not like they should really be in situations where the previously well-established antipathy of baseline humanity towards them would be any more or less likely to "drive them to Chaos" than it was previously - they're raised from birth to believe they're innately sinful creatures that can only redeem themselves by dying in battle and are used as cannonfodder and even suicide units. Did Rowboat take a knock to the noggin when he came back and start using them as garrison troops on rear-echelon civilised worlds or something? :P

I'm sorry, I don't think I can take the Beastmen seriously. Instead of servo skulls they would probably be surrounded by singing crockery. Suppress that mental image, be my guest. :tongue:

2 hours ago, Yodhrin said:

I do wonder why the Imperium would give a hoot? They're abhumans, it's not like they should really be in situations where the previously well-established antipathy of baseline humanity towards them would be any more or less likely to "drive them to Chaos" than it was previously - they're raised from birth to believe they're innately sinful creatures that can only redeem themselves by dying in battle and are used as cannonfodder and even suicide units. Did Rowboat take a knock to the noggin when he came back and start using them as garrison troops on rear-echelon civilised worlds or something? :P

It's more that a lot of the Imperials who would have been fine with employing abhuman labourers and auxilia to do their dirty work prior to the fall of Cadia started hunting them down in screaming mobs instead.

15 hours ago, Redcomet said:

So upgrade kit for Tzaangors? Hence the reason they aren’t in the boarding patrol?

That is exactly what my joke was going to be based on :tongue:…. 
“ Hey these beast men look suspiciously like Tzaangors!?”… but with guard bits stuck on them :blink:

M

26 minutes ago, lansalt said:

If this is real, new beastmen will surely be like the ones from BSF:

46456456456.thumb.jpg.d4a30cd50a5e45408ce7831c67f3a041.jpg

After all, GW already used BSF to introduce the current CSM, cultists, and traitor guard.

And hopefully one day the negavolt cultists' faction

If this rumour is true, then we could finally have a proper Beastmen unit for Chaos Marines; add that to Traitor Guard, the Dark Commune, Accursed Cultists - c'mon FW, stop messing around and just give us a Lost and the Damned army list..! 

On 3/16/2023 at 5:05 AM, firestorm40k said:

If this rumour is true, then we could finally have a proper Beastmen unit for Chaos Marines; add that to Traitor Guard, the Dark Commune, Accursed Cultists - c'mon FW, stop messing around and just give us a Lost and the Damned army list..! 

Don’t bring FW into this my dude. We wants them in plastics!

Chaos beastmen intrigue me- I've been waiting for Slaangors to make it to 40k the same way Tzaangors did. Slaangors look larger than the BSF Beastmen, and it would make for a pretty varried team if they could be included (in the same way the Chaos Ogryn is in the traitor guard team). Not sure if they'll do it- not all beastmen players would want god-aligned Gors.

55 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

Chaos beastmen intrigue me- I've been waiting for Slaangors to make it to 40k the same way Tzaangors did. Slaangors look larger than the BSF Beastmen, and it would make for a pretty varried team if they could be included (in the same way the Chaos Ogryn is in the traitor guard team). Not sure if they'll do it- not all beastmen players would want god-aligned Gors.

Not all beastmen fans want chaos only gors lol

A new Beastman kit would be fantastic! I have the ones from Blackstone Fortress kicking around and it would be really nice to expand on them. It would be great to see a Lost and the Damned codex too but if not that then they could at least do some kind of PDF like they did for the Agents of Imperium.

An all new Votann team would also be very cool but I'd be happy to see only an upgrade sprue for them if we get brand new Beastmen.

2 minutes ago, CL_Mission said:

A new Beastman kit would be fantastic! I have the ones from Blackstone Fortress kicking around and it would be really nice to expand on them. It would be great to see a Lost and the Damned codex too but if not that then they could at least do some kind of PDF like they did for the Agents of Imperium.

An all new Votann team would also be very cool but I'd be happy to see only an upgrade sprue for them if we get brand new Beastmen.

Votann range being so small it seems like almost guaranteed that a votann KT will be a new unit that will have 40k rules in 10th