The Lion - Son of the Forest by Mike Brooks

Kelborn

Looking ahead, I wonder if the Lion will paired with a daemon primarch in a series much like Guilliman v. Mortarion?
Angron would be an interesting opponent, and with the Lion bearing the Emperor’s Shield that would provide some much needed defense against the Lord of the Red Sands. What BL writer would you like to see take on that task?

I assume (perhaps wrongly) at some point in time he will be reunited with some version of the Lion Sword

13 minutes ago, Arguleon Veq said:

Looking ahead, I wonder if the Lion will paired with a daemon primarch in a series much like Guilliman v. Mortarion?
Angron would be an interesting opponent, and with the Lion bearing the Emperor’s Shield that would provide some much needed defense against the Lord of the Red Sands. What BL writer would you like to see take on that task?

I assume (perhaps wrongly) at some point in time he will be reunited with some version of the Lion Sword

Angron’s the obvious choice if they choose to do another primarch vs primarch series. But that doesn’t feel like where this is all leading to me. Both characters have gotten/are getting their own books that seem to have little to do with one another. Would be an odd way to start things if BL were planning a major confrontation in the near future. If they are doing so I’d like to see Wraight handle it, unless by some miracle ADB starts writing with alacrity and finds the time.

I think if the Lion were going to reacquire his sword GW would’ve included it with his model. As far as I know they don’t usually make significant changes to the panoply of characters with models.

Prior to being recovered, the Lion was also the primarch who had the most unfiltered exposure to Warp corruption?

Yeah, Magnus was raised on Prospero but relative to the twisted forests of Caliban, that was a highly controlled environment and contributed to Magnus' naivete about the nature of the Warp.

Lorgar was raised by a Chaos cultist but I don't recall Colchis being immersed in Warp energy.

Mortarion's Xenos father was a twisted being who may have used the Warp in torture and/or battle? Definitely contributed to Mortarion's hatred of the witch or anyone with the power to twist or corrupt...but I forget whether Barbarus was also a Warp-suffused environment and whether the Xenos overlords there were Warp-wielders  or just highly advanced at chemical warfare and biomancy?

If the Emperor had ever shared the true nature of the Warp to a select few of his sons, the Lion should've been one of them.

Edited by b1soul

9 hours ago, b1soul said:

Prior to being recovered, the Lion was also the primarch who had the most unfiltered exposure to Warp corruption?

Yeah, Magnus was raised on Prospero but relative to the twisted forests of Caliban, that was a highly controlled environment and contributed to Magnus' naivete about the nature of the Warp.

Lorgar was raised by a Chaos cultist but I don't recall Colchis being immersed in Warp energy.

Mortarion's Xenos father was a twisted being who may have used the Warp in torture and/or battle? Definitely contributed to Mortarion's hatred of the witch or anyone with the power to twist or corrupt...but I forget whether Barbarus was also a Warp-suffused environment and whether the Xenos overlords there were Warp-wielders  or just highly advanced at chemical warfare and biomancy?

If the Emperor had ever shared the true nature of the Warp to a select few of his sons, the Lion should've been one of them.

Agreed re; Mortarion - I interpreted Barbarus as just being a death world.  I don't think it is near the Eye of Terror either.  I do not think the background suggests that his father was a Nurgle worshipper or anything like that, just a psychic alien who conducted similar experiments like a Dark Eldar Haemonculus.

3 hours ago, TrevorLoLz said:

just a psychic alien who conducted similar experiments like a Dark Eldar Haemonculus.

Yes, Mortarion's father struck me as more like a DE haemonculus than a Xenos Chaos sorcerer, and Mortarion was (ironically) against anything "impure" or "twisted": it could've been Warp corruption or the bio-experiments Fabius was up to

• 2 weeks later...

As we move towards spoilers being available this saturday (on ore-order day) I was wondering how people are going to consume the Arks of Omen: Lion book and this novel?  I wonder what will be the optimal order to read them in to get maximum enjoyment?  

I'll be pre-ordering both books on Saturday, but it's going to be literally impossible to avoid spoilers once the pre-order goes up unless you are extremely careful or stay offline until you've finished reading.

I know that novels are usually available to read in ebook format on pre-order day, but does the same apply to the campaign books?

36 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

I'll be pre-ordering both books on Saturday, but it's going to be literally impossible to avoid spoilers once the pre-order goes up unless you are extremely careful or stay offline until you've finished reading.

I know that novels are usually available to read in ebook format on pre-order day, but does the same apply to the campaign books?

I personally will read the novel, but watch a summary of the campaign book.

And as far as I'm aware campaign books never get released early. Unless a YouTuber get a review copy and a does a summary of it.

2 hours ago, System Sound said:

And as far as I'm aware campaign books never get released early. Unless a YouTuber get a review copy and a does a summary of it.

Thought so.  My go-to lore update has been Arbitor Ian on youtube re: the AoO campaign books.  He always posts them on the saturday afternoon on the book's pre-order day.  So I assume he is receiving review copies a few days in advance.

I would recommend Baldemort, too. And Oculus Imperia has made some pretty sweet Arks of Omen videos! 

I plan to just take the spoilers head on, because I need to know and there's just no way I can read the novel (or the campaign book) before they hit me in the face.

It is how it is.

THEN i will read them and enjoy them on my own schedule when I have the chance.

In a vacuum, I'd read the novel first and Aoo second, because that's the apparent chronologycal order.

Edited by Allart01

I will check the blurbs on both the novel and lore book to see what the chronological order is and then read in that order.  So, book then AoO: Lion from what has been put out there by GW & WarCom.

As for the spoilers, I stop reading the threads from the day of pre-order, starting again when I’ve read the book.  As an aside; where have people been commenting on the Arks of Omen books?  I’ve had several looks and searches but can’t seem to find a relevant thread.

8 hours ago, Felix Antipodes said:

As for the spoilers, I stop reading the threads from the day of pre-order, starting again when I’ve read the book.  As an aside; where have people been commenting on the Arks of Omen books?  I’ve had several looks and searches but can’t seem to find a relevant thread.

People don't seem to talk about them on this website, but info is all over r/40klore around the pre-order leak time.

20 minutes ago, Ubiquitous1984 said:

For anyone interested the book has leaked already and the spoilers are out at 40K lore.  I believe Valrak has posted a video too.

I sure hope the ebook is available very soon for those of us who want to read the book unspoilt!

Without giving any spoilers here, are the impressions of the book good?

4 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Without giving any spoilers here, are the impressions of the book good?

No. Not terrible, but not good. However there is a great degree of uncertainty to the accuracy of the current account. Once the ebook spread we will get actual verifiable information.

1 minute ago, Inferno XXVth said:

The one book that got 'leaked' is the Ark of Omen campaign book (and that leak turned out to be a forgery, probably).

This is the thread about Mike Brook's Novel for Black Library. They are two different things.

That the only thing that leaked. The novel didn't.

Just a quick reminder to use spoiler tags when you want do discuss the actual book. Including characters, descriptions of scenes or whatever. For some, the smallest details can be spoilery cause they're automatically doing implications and/or can count 1:1 together. That goes especially to those who are going for the ebook and audio book versions.

I would like to avoid closing this thread for a week or so to give everyone a chance to catch up as they're releasing every format simultaneously.

Be fair to others. Especially when your excited to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Kelborn said:

Just a quick reminder to use spoiler tags when you want do discuss the actual book. Including characters, descriptions of scenes or whatever. For some, the smallest details can be spoilery cause they're automatically doing implications and/or can count 1:1 together. That goes especially to those who are going for the ebook and audio book versions.

I would like to avoid closing this thread for a week or so to give everyone a chance to catch up as they're releasing every format simultaneously.

Be fair to others. Especially when your excited to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Thanks for keeping the thread open.

Oh boy.... From that video summary and Legacy of Caliban:

Caliban was patched back up as "Wyrdwood" from displaced fragments by Vashtorr and the remaining part he needs to assemble the Dissidence Engine? is Tuchulcha, who is in the Rock.

Yes, the whole plotline from Legacy of Caliban is apparently here. The whole thing that Astelan was involved in, what Zahariel has been tinkering with, what Cypher was trying to prevent, what Typhus was trying to usurp, what the Lion kept secret.... The whole timey-wimey ending of Legacy is directly built on with this, and Vashtorr is to blame.

So we know that Legacy of Caliban's bringing the three parts of the engine together was what in one way or another caused the destruction and warp rift around Caliban, but now it's also part of Vashtorr's new designs to turn it into a full-blown industrial daemon world - something that Caliban was kinda headed for during the Great Crusade anyhow, and one of the reasons (the industrialization) for the pushback by the rebels.

The Unforgiven are flabberghasted by this whole thing, and in the end the Blood Angels under Dante arrive.... with the Lion on their ship. It's basically Codex: Angels of Death: The Movie from there.

Sadly, it looks like Vashtorr succeeds in "capturing" Tuchulcha. This bodes ill, considering simply what it's able to do. It looks like Chaos won this one, with Caliban triggered to Vashtorr and Abaddon's designs, with potentially devastating results for the galaxy.

Also, the Lion is able to tell if the Fallen are corrupted or not, it seems. So he's forgiven some of them. The rest of the Unforgiven might not entirely have done the same. In the meantime, Lord Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz appears to be getting involved now.