The Lion - Son of the Forest by Mike Brooks

Kelborn

I'm loving what I've read so far.

Looks like many Dark Angels plotlines, even appartently forgotten ones, may be coming to some sort of fruition.

I'm feeling very positive overall and can't wait to get my copy of the novel tomorrow!

It’s going to be impossible to avoid spoilers for this.  Ive unsubbed all 40K subreddits and YouTube channels until further notice until I can read the novel and AOO.  

If anyone comes across a pdf or either book and can do me a solid to see me through until my physical copies can arrive, it would be greatly appreciated !

1 hour ago, Taliesin said:

I see the novel is already sold out, missed out.

Not really great on GW part, my local store which is a flagship store for the country only allocated 9 copies for orders on the hardcover, you would have thought GW wanted to get as many orders as possible or pre-planned that given a novel like this is going to attract interest, they would have printed more than normal

Edited by Dzirhan

6 minutes ago, Dzirhan said:

Not really great on GW part, my local store which is a flagship store for the country only allocated 9 copies for orders on the hardcover, you would have thought GW wanted to get as many orders as possible or pre-planned that given a novel like this is going to attract interest, they would have printed more than normal

Ebooks and audiobooks are way more profitable. This is another way to "force" people to go for these editions

So when will the ebook version publically available? Also next Saturday? I absolutely wanna read this but the hardcover was gone way too fast for me today (was occupied doing other stuff at 10:55 :D ).

No need to infer. It is the prequel to his Arks of Omen appearance.

Minor end point/timeline spoiler (the model releases/marketing lately included this already), if the above statement isn't convincing enough for you:

Spoiler

The novel ends with the Lion meeting Luis Dante;

Arks of Omen has them already traveling together as the starting point.

Edited by DarkChaplain

It's really, really good.

Spoiler

Won't answer a lot of questions about exactly how The Lion returned, but the character work between him and his wayward sons is very, very fun - and provides some (relatively) definite answers about what happened on Caliban. Also, The Lion is pretty uncomplicatedly heroic in this book which is likely to annoy some people - it's implied but not explicitly stated that the intervening millennia have changed him in ways even he doesn't fully understand (in terms of his personality, he's not now a wizard or anything.)

Gulliman isn't in this, and The Lion doesn't meet with the modern day Dark Angels so that plot thread is presumably to picked up in 10th, but it would be fair to say he's not best pleased with the state of things.

I tried placing an order for a CE on the nose, the website crashed after it was in my cart, then afterwards literally everything was sold out, even the regular hardback...

10 minutes ago, Vassakov said:

Hide contents

Gulliman isn't in this, and The Lion doesn't meet with the modern day Dark Angels so that plot thread is presumably to picked up in 10th, but it would be fair to say he's not best pleased with the state of things.

The reunion and all is in Arks of Omen, and comes with a big bang. We'll enter 10th with its repercussions already having happened. Going by the summaries for AoO: The Lion, it's pretty much a must-read unless we get another novel covering it (which I pray we do)

22 minutes ago, b1soul said:

...and apparently said shield is pretty lacklustre on the tabletop

Spoiler

Funny considering that Brooks does atribute to it some anti-Warp properties, which doeasn't seem to be in the Omens book

The Lion can feel the energy running through the shield, and feels within it the echo of the Emperor’s Aegis that covered the Imperial Palace on Terra, which is anathema to the warp

55 minutes ago, Ayatollah_of_Rock_n_Rolla said:

Wrong book, it's in Arks of Omen.

Hide contents

But the answer is: decapitated with the shield. LMAO.

Spoiler

Not decapitated per se. The shield was rammed down on Rons face so hard it came out the other end and was lodged in the metal floor. Semantics, I know. But it sounds cool.

14 minutes ago, Scribe said:

I'm shocked.

That once again a non-daemon guy just handedly beats a daemon guy? Same here.

At least with Sanguinius it was confirmed the fight basically left him wounded in a way that he likely wouldn’t recover from, and it was only after he went into a pure rage so beautiful even Angron was jealous.

Edited by Arkangilos