Does anyone recognise the army and tank depicted in the new art from this warcom article?

MechaMan
Go to solution Solved by Lord Marshal,

Does anyone know what faction is fighting the gene stealers here? 

I initially thought the army was traitor guard, but the soldier in the foreground seems to have an Aquila on his shoulder plate and there’s what looks like an imperial shrine icon on his belt. If he is a guardsman I don’t recognise the regiment, does anyone else?

I also don’t recognise the tank, it looks similar to a Macharius crossed with a Malchador but isn’t either.  

Given that artists are increasingly given less license and tend to model their art on existing models - could this point to new miniatures?

30E79F77-52E5-4E74-BFD0-EAEE99717208.jpeg

My guess is the regiment is unnamed, the artist simply took the cadian-style armor, painted it in urban grey/blue camo and tacked on a few Tyranid teeth as trophies.

The tank is wild. The rear of the hull looks almost more like a Sicarian than anything else? The large, detached metal housing around the tracks is something that you see on SM vehicles, not IG. The turret is clearly more IG though. 

Edited by Shinespider

I think it’s quite a different silhouette to the rogal dorn - the armour doesn’t slope up. And it’s definitely not a russ. As I say it did give me Macharius chassis vibes the most, over a Sicarian for instance. But it’s still quite different. 

Consensus is it’s not a known regiment either? I thought art increasingly mirrored miniatures? I guess the new guard codex did have an honour guard for the Lord Solar on it so maybe not. 

9F37B8F8-F4D7-4C7B-99FE-FFA7E1CA6517.jpeg

648A01B2-5642-4645-A969-394D236C9E78.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

Looks like a Castigator to me...

Yeah kinda - particularly the turret. Just doesn’t have the shrines or flaming/extinguished beacon on the chassis. Doesn’t really look like a rhino chassis at all to me tbh

If it’s an existing model it’s been changed beyond recognition, maybe it’s something the artist dreamed up. Guess either way it’s artistic license. 

• Solution

The regiment is the Mordant Acid Dogs I'm pretty sure? The fatigues are different, but the armour and fang/skull trophies seem consistent. 

latest.png

The tank looks like a Carnodon of all things?

3424.png

Edited by Lord Marshal

I don't think it's a Carnodon.

The slope of the track armor is different.

Doesn't have the side exhausts. 

twin heavy bolter sponsons (though lascannon option a probability if a model ever made)

the back of the tank is more angled, almost same angle as the tracks, if not slightly more inset than. Hard to tell angle, but it is definitely not square. 

cannon type turret weapon? That's a fairly long barrel, so it's usually a sign of a projectile weapon. Something that goes bang, not freem. 

It's either artistic license or a new tank. It looks heavier than a Dorn, to be honest, but not quite a Baneblade. Who knows, maybe it's a redesign of the Russ. Russ and Chimera are some old designs, might be time for them to get a facelift. 

Edited by CMDR_Welles