Armies on Parade. Blood Angels of the Andromache Sector

Go to solution Solved by Firedrake Cordova,

Painting in earnest. Black wash and metallics and beginning to sketch in some saltires. Next will be classic RT elements like graffiti.

so far I’m really happy with how the black came out. They remind me of Roose  Bolton’s men. Red needs touching up. I’m torn about using some thin black to edge the saltires

D20E70E8-8A0A-4BDD-90E8-11FCF471C2B0.jpeg

To break up painting the death company, I got some red on my outriders. Dark colours sometimes look flat, so to avoid that, I painted these with a lot of different reds. I used a pointillist technique and then washed over them with reikland and agrax shades. Next will be another couple of passes like this until I get the visual interest I want, before a final layer with red and black oils and enamels to darken them down. 

FBAB78A3-A810-43F7-9D9E-3461D2794DC8.jpeg

Death company WIP. Metallics going on. Like everything else this takes a few layers of washes and stippling (thanks @Firedrake Cordova) with acrylics, then a final pass with liquid metals from Vallejo. I’m thinking about getting a true chrome for extra contrast but don’t know yet. Any recommendations from anyone?

this guy is made from all sorts of bits. Death guard legs, cataphracti torso, bretonnian head, a chaos marauder shoulder pad for the belly and more. I think it’s a good representation of mk3 armour in art scale 

AD6A8D55-2D1B-42ED-A615-19BCCD6A1A4D.jpeg

Edited by gideon stargreave

Death company approaching the end. I’m torn about giving them some more colour. Perhaps a spot of gold here and there. The minis themselves have some heraldry and bling that so far is black with a spot of red, but I can’t tell if they look thematic and brutal or unfinished. Final step is basing and weathering anyway. I’d love some opinions 

42CFEF6D-DF23-4260-AF06-E17F7DE25E05.jpeg

1 hour ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

Is some subtle silver chipping on the prominent edges an option? It might add a little "oomph" to them, without changing the general tone of the model much?

I’ve been thinking about that too. I’m torn between having the actual metals the only silver but I might try it on a test model to see. Thanks for your suggestion 

I’ve been in this hobby for a long time now, and wanted to pay homage to the 2000ad vibe of the minis I used to gawk at as a kid. I’d take my one thick coat high elves and while I slaughtered green skins I’d see these lead space wolves or eldar or whatever that just looked so METAL. With the new sculpts I get the best of both worlds. Excellent minis and conversion potential, and plenty of space to add kill markings and graffiti and mottos. 

619C85B7-4D4B-4EAF-A237-4E24B6D7181B.jpeg