How deeply is the importance of the Webway Project explored in BL works?

b1soul

Just now, Scribe said:

Hmm. Not an interpretation I'm seeing based on the text, but we will see I guess. Is the set up there at all for this?

Vengeful Spirit states it straight-up, from Horus' mouth (after wringing it out of some daemons). That's obviously coloured by Chaos' perception, but I think at this point it seems obvious that there's a core of truth to it.

‘At the dawn of the great diaspora, the Emperor travelled here in humble guise and found the gateway to a realm of immortal gods. He offered them things only a god-in-waiting could offer, and they trusted Him. They gave Him a measure of their power, and with that power He wrought the science to unlock the mysteries of creation.’

The Warp is timeless - the Dark King/God-Emperor upon existing, will always have existed. Chaos knows this.

Of course, it means Chaos is also probably wrong, seeing as the 'Dark King' doesn't appear to have eventuated and we got 'God-Emperor' instead, which is why he's called the Anathema. I don't think it's a mistake that this word is chosen, as it has religious connotations, quite literally blasphemy/excommunication.

Only tangentially connected, I've always really liked this lore snippet from Destiny 2. Feels very cute.

Just sit down and think about what you're doing.

A big white ball rebuilt you from nothing. Guided your civilization. Transformed you. Didn't tell you why, did it? Doubt it mentioned the omnipotent space anathema that's coming to kill you and your dog and your whole soccer club, either, but what's a little xenocide between friends?

Maybe you don't care. A gun never stops and wonders if things are more complicated. It just shoots.

It's also possible that I'm just trying to get inside your head. You're a hero with a cape and a gun and a bike. You're gonna live forever. Who's got time for doubt? Fight the "Darkness"! Yeah!

You know what I'd call "dark," in the sense of "grim," in the sense of "cosmically upsetting"? A universe full of weaponized puppets, enacting a genocidal war against the servants of a rival god.

Is this making you uncomfortable? I'm sorry. I'll be more evil. Boo. Grrr.

2 minutes ago, wecanhaveallthree said:

The Warp is timeless - the Dark King/God-Emperor upon existing, will always have existed. Chaos knows this.

Of course, it means Chaos is also probably wrong, seeing as the 'Dark King' doesn't appear to have eventuated and we got 'God-Emperor' instead, which is why he's called the Anathema. I don't think it's a mistake that this word is chosen, as it has religious connotations, quite literally blasphemy/excommunication.

That bit from Vengeful Spirit is the last bit I really want out of the series, I've mentioned a few times, but without the Chaos/Daemon potential for bias. I want it out of the Emperor's mouth.

As to the "God in Waiting"...I dont know if it makes sense. Look at the Daemon Primarchs, or any random Daemon Prince. You've progressed from Mortal, to Immortal, but at what cost?

The Emperor is immortal already. Powerful beyond measure, and he stole/bargained/was gifted, even more power.

To ascend to Godhood, should come at some cost, if there is any logic left to apply to this settings mangled lore. He was not (is not? will not? please GW dont ruin a good thing here) on the level of the Chaos Gods, because if he is/was/will be, it kind of defeats the whole point of well...everything.

I'm going to enter a depression spiral as I follow this line to its conclusion, so I'll just say "hope not", and ruminate.

I just always interpreted Enuncia as the actual language of the Old Ones, given we’re told their language was essentially comprised of words that are the Platonic Forms of the object you’re speaking. 
Could it be used to “speak a daemon out of existence”? Maybe, but the daemon/god is also speaking it into existence at the same time given a daemon is a manifested metaphysical concept, so it kinda depends on who’s… talking louder, I guess? 
Metaphysics is screwy.

Your enunciation may be correct.

After the Webway is safe for humans and only them, and the Webway Portal Network is up, the Emp turns off the Astronomican. Bye, Navis Nobilite! Hello AdMech, find some other work for the Warpdrive industry. Oh, and sorry Nids, the lights just went out, keep on trucking.

After Webway comms relays are in place and messaging is instant across the Galaxy, astropaths are retired.

Ok, so there's no Inquisition, but the Arbites can get at you easily, anywhere.

Did the Old Ones use Enuncia to build up Realspace and also the Webway, etc. Enuncia is just a usable interface to the building blocks of the multiverse (per Devastation of Baal, there are infinite interconnected dimensions & universes). Can the Emp code Enuncia fluently? That's how he renders daemons to inert little tiny nothings - program terminated. It's not the sword, it's the Enuncia code on it (what the uneducated call "runes").

After humans are no longer beholden to Chaos, the Emp goes into the Warp and enunciates the entire dimension into an amusement park.

Is the galaxy too small for humanity? Let's move out, enunciating a storm. Maybe another Webway extension to Andromeda?

1 hour ago, EverythingIsGreat said:

Enuncia is just a usable interface to the building blocks of the multiverse (per Devastation of Baal, there are infinite interconnected dimensions & universes). Can the Emp code Enuncia fluently? That's how he renders daemons to inert little tiny nothings - program terminated. It's not the sword, it's the Enuncia code on it (what the uneducated call "runes").

After humans are no longer beholden to Chaos, the Emp goes into the Warp and enunciates the entire dimension into an amusement park.

Is the galaxy too small for humanity? Let's move out, enunciating a storm. Maybe another Webway extension to Andromeda?

Holy Khorne....

I'd rather they delete 40K completely than have a word of this be true.