Wrath Of The Lost- Flesh Tearer's Novel

Helias_Tancred

2 hours ago, Arkangilos said:

Mind on sharing why? Lol

1. FT has a very high % of members that succumb to the Red Thirst ... = dead serf.

2. FT has a higher % of members that fall to the Black Rage ... = dead serf.

3. FT will cull their serfs for a Blood Tithe ... = dead serf (albeit one that gave themselves to the chapter).

4. In this novel there is a chapter serf revolt because of the previous three points, they fail. .... = dead serfs. LOL the captured ones are asked why they "turned traitor" and they said they're tired of being treated the way the chapter treats them lmao.

5. The Flesh Tearer chapter vibe and culture, in this novel, comes off as very very douschey and arrogant towards anyone else, and each other ... sometimes = dead serfs. 

Edited by Eilio Tiberius

5 hours ago, Eilio Tiberius said:

5. The Flesh Tearer chapter vibe and culture, in this novel, comes off as very very douschey and arrogant towards anyone else, and each other ... sometimes = dead serfs. 

This particular point I felt upon reading that it was simply an addition due to Primaris being somewhat distant and detached from mortals. You are absolutely right about the others and they're not unique to Primaris but I feel this extra nastiness, included the extra casual disdain that shrouds every encounter with the Serfs (and other mortals encountered later in the book), is unique to the Primaris. 

Flesh Tearers in the past are pretty indifferent to allied Guardsmen, Serfs and other randoms but not quite so violent and almost pointlessly cruel to them outside of snapping due to Black Rage/Red Thirst shenanigans. They don't treat them particularly well but it's quite a different tone from any of the excerpts in, say, Trial of Gabriel Seth to this book. I've concluded it's because it's to show the increased detachment Primaris have to mortals that's hinted at and comes across a bit even in Ultramarines. Seeing as how the book's main premise is Primaris being accepted by (and becoming accepting of) Flesh Tearers as a whole, it's a pretty key point to address. 

My other conclusion from it is that the new Flesh Tearers are just trying to fit into the Chapter that's new to them and not welcoming. They come across as a group of :cuss:s, honestly, who are all arrogant and hardly nice or brotherly to each other yet. The Flesh Tearers of the past are hardly warm cuddly bunnies, even to each other, but these new guys haven't really come to fit in with each other, never mind the Firstborn. I was worried they would be too soft and too nice but the opposite is true, they're too mean-spirited and hostile to each other. I wondered if it's just a different author's take on things since Smilie has them nailed down as 'necessary monsters that sometimes go too far' rather than just cranky misfits that don't know how to work together. Maybe that's the point? That in time they will grow together as brothers and that will make them feel the bonds they need with each other and then with the Firstborn and new dudes from Cretacia? 

Overall though I didn't mind the book. It definitely addressed :cuss: is happening on Cretacia and whether the new Primaris are fitting in or not. I didn't care for the characters in it really but they're probably made to be insufferable by design. Maybe they will grow as I expect in a later novel? If you love the Flesh Tearers as I do, read this book, but do not expect anything particularly amazing. It got done what it needed to but for me it feels like it goes a bit too far which is ironic given the Chapter it writes about. They're not World Eaters, they aren't devotees of Khorne, they should still have bonds of brotherhood and get along a little better. Again, I earnestly believe this is indeed the point of the book and tries to establish that by the end, it's just a bit rough getting there.