Leviathan Pre-Orders + Pre-order Bonuses (10/06)

7 minutes ago, crimsondave said:

This went way better than I expected but let’s not get carried away.  They’re completely sold out online 24 hours into a 2 week pre-order. I wonder if the community has outgrown GW.  If so, I wonder how they catch up or if they will try to.

They are, but other vendors aren't yet. Various flgs and indie retailers still have copies.

Yes, lets not forget that all these leviathan boxes were produced at the expense of kill team boxes, and backfilling sold out products. Its been very frustrating at times trying to get hold of stuff recently, the KT boxes or the Lion for example sold out before preorders even officially opened for them. If all that diverted production wasn't even enough to last a whole weekend of preorders, does this mean we're going to continue seeing stuff sell out super fast?

I agree. Games Workshop will offer 3 different starter sets for 3 years. If they just replaced one of these starter sets with the full Leviathon box for that three years, they wouldn't have to produce these high numbers and take up so much warhouse space. Leviathon wouldn't be FOMO and people would be happier. This is still an issue that they created.

To be fair on both sides of this coin... They did have a 2 week window of pre order (now NEW players who have no idea about GW and it's stock levels Yo-Yo would think hey great! I've got 2 weeks to order my boxset!!...only to see after a day or two...sold out!! what :eek:....

On the other hand it could be scalpers stirring the pot on Instagram etc due to Less FOMO from actually more stock produced and less demand on their Ebay pirate theatrics... or they actually ddin't get enough stock themselves due to new practices... who knows !! 

We should wait a week and see if GW can Steer back on course of providing stock to the masses.  

I'm not getting the box but Gee I'd like to get that Screamer Killer down the road just to paint up, I know I've said it before, but in real life and up close... it's a great looking model :wub:

M. 

5 hours ago, gortonsfisherman said:

I agree. Games Workshop will offer 3 different starter sets for 3 years. If they just replaced one of these starter sets with the full Leviathon box for that three years, they wouldn't have to produce these high numbers and take up so much warhouse space. Leviathon wouldn't be FOMO and people would be happier. This is still an issue that they created.

In Canada, this box was $300. That covers the book (which is BRB + Crusade supplement), the Screamer and the psychic spider dude. Everything else is bonus.

There is zero chance that GW could keep this box in circulation. This weekend might have paid for the molds, but GW will make 3x as much the week these become available as separates. The 3 boxes that GW will put out are still going to offer savings... But not savings like this box. There's probably $600-700 worth of stuff in there.

18 minutes ago, ThePenitentOne said:

There is zero chance that GW could keep this box in circulation. This weekend might have paid for the molds, but GW will make 3x as much the week these become available as separates. The 3 boxes that GW will put out are still going to offer savings... But not savings like this box. There's probably $600-700 worth of stuff in there.

Lets be Clear though, this is $600-$700 "worth" according to GW's Inflated prices(shareholder hand rubbing can be heard loudly), not what they're really actually  worth..... :sweat:

I hate to be that guy, but it's a market principle. It's worth what people are willing to pay, if we're here, and we've bought a copy for the savings we see the "worth."

Would I buy all these units separately? Nope, no way. I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

I only bought them because of the "savings" of this box.

That being said as many of these boxes that get feverishly built an equal number will join piles of shame, un-built. The collector, the FOMO is so strong with the plastic crack it just gets to some folk.

Anyone not able to get one, can go to the store day of, or better yet try a local shop.

Let's just not feed the scalpers.

11 hours ago, Halandaar said:

On the other hand, this was taking up a vast amount of production capacity, so now it's out of the way we might start seeing stuff produced in reasonable quantities again.

We don't really know that. It was not reported officially by GW

I have a theory that these new scalpers wave and their MO has created a serious problem for us and for GW distribution. Granted, GW is not affected as us(they still sold out so..) but I still find hard to believe that a 2 weeks preorder is already sold out, no matter how many new players/hobbysts.

I, of course , may be wrong. I don't have all the data but I think previous boxes like the Lion and Ashes were ready months before their release. It's seems odd they would be a problem for the Leviathan release. I think it's more probable they have understimated this "new" scalpers and their way (bots), who took all the loot to resell it and left us dry and thirsty.

Or maybe the rumored problems at their new factory were bigger than we heard.

I don't know. The one thing I know it's that I'm tired to goin crazy and get mad, trying to refresh a Emperor forsaken internet page, "only" to get a copy of my favorite plastic addiction.

Something has to change (or return the way it was). 

After all, I have so many miniatures to paint, this will be a great incentive to take things slowly.

I got my box through a FLGS for the first time in about 8 months or so.  All the previous releases that come to mind from that same time period have gone out of stock so quick, or not even been sent out to FLGS.  Ive saved a fortune from not being able to fulfill the impulse buys.  I genuinely had plans for a DA army and an ork kommando force amongst others, which even when the lion or snikrot do come back into stock i wont be bothering with, so in the end thats a win for my wallet.

Given the lack of stock we have seen for the last while, and in particular the levels of stock going out to FLGS, does anyone else think that GW might be holding back from supplying the discount retailers to make the most from them sellling it direct?   Ive often thought its crazy business sense to sell products to smaller stores, who then sell it t a discounted rate, when market demands are such that GW themselves could sell the same boxes at full price ten times over or more?     If it were me selling stuff, I would hold onto it to sell myself to make the maximum return on the product.

Lgs along with their own actual stores used to be necessary for GW, their physical stores have generally been loss makers for years now, and yeah they make far less profit from LGS sales but still probably more than their actual stores. GW is at the stage now though where they could just as easily become online sales only and have it work. They keep the stores as a means of maintaining some level of community these days

On 6/10/2023 at 5:33 PM, Halandaar said:

I haven't seen anything specifically related to Leviathan but for previous instances where anything came with extras, those bonuses were reserved for customers who pick up their items at the Darksphere store, as there are never enough to go around. IMO I'm expecting not to get a preorder freebie with mine, and if I do get something then that's a bonus.

Messaged them and was told:
"Thank you for your support ticket. As mentioned in the article they are only whilst stocks last and we are receiving just 20 deployment markers so your order will just be the box on its own."

Not the end of the world but frustrating for us, and I expect them to only be given 20 of these for such a big release. Almost not worth the extra admin time/aggravation that might come from having such things in such limited numbers.

As always though - great customer service from them to answer the question so quickly.

1 hour ago, Blindhamster said:

GW is at the stage now though where they could just as easily become online sales only and have it work. They keep the stores as a means of maintaining some level of community these days

GW use the stores as a customer recruitment tool, not community engagement mechanism. They have a little over 500 stores globally, but over 6,000 trade accounts - the latter is how they engage their community (and why Trade accounts for 55% of their revenues).

Source: Annual Report

4 hours ago, Alby the Slayer said:

We don't really know that. It was not reported officially by GW

Very little is reported officially by GW except the raw financials, we have to make our own presumptions based on the info we have.

Yes, obviously the Lion etc were ready months before their release, but so was Leviathan. They had to get the kits for it cast, and also the books printed in China and shipped back to the UK, then all boxed up and then shipped back out to international warehouses early enough to send out the preview copies to stores ready for this weekend. I don't know the actual lead times on any of this stuff but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if these kits were being produced last year, alongside the other stuff that they've been releasing in the meantime. Remember we saw the promo shot from the back of the Age of Darkness box a full year in advance of release, that's how far ahead GW are working. Clearly you cannot spend an entire year producing edition launch sets and nothing else, but unless you have unlimited production capacity (they don't) then something somewhere has to give. It makes the most sense that the products that are intended as one-and-done releases that flashed out of stock immediately are the ones where their production numbers were limited to make more time for printing Leviathan kits.

I'm not saying organised scalping hasn't been contributing to the problem, it absolutely has and to be honest with you I'd be happy to see the queue system every Saturday if it helps people get the kits they want ahead of bots. But scalpers don't have infinite money to invest, they can't strip the GW store dry of a new release if it's hundreds of thousands of items, they can only do it for small numbers of products. That in turn suggests the stuff getting botted has short production runs. 

23 hours ago, mel_danes said:

I hate to be that guy, but it's a market principle. It's worth what people are willing to pay, if we're here, and we've bought a copy for the savings we see the "worth."

Same applies whenever someone soils themselves over the price in Australia. It takes very little research to see how high the median salary is here, and comparatively how much disposable income is up for grabs.

Specifically for Leviathan, $420 dollarydoos feels like a lot less on an aussie salary than £150 would of when I was living in the UK.

Quick question regarding pre-orders direct from the GW website (as this is the first time I've bothered to pre-order something!):

If you've chosen to have the box delivered to you, when is it likely to arrive? On Saturday? Before/after?

On 6/20/2023 at 10:22 AM, Lysimachus said:

Quick question regarding pre-orders direct from the GW website (as this is the first time I've bothered to pre-order something!):

If you've chosen to have the box delivered to you, when is it likely to arrive? On Saturday? Before/after?

It can vary heavily, sometimes it's early, like friday or very rarely thursday. Other times it's late with the monday after being the most common one, though on one occasion I had it arrive on the thursday after.

Edited by Nephaston

19 minutes ago, Lysimachus said:

As above, I think they aim to have it to you by Saturday, but with royal mail disruptions, and wanting to get these out the door asap, It could be anywhere between Friday and Monday.