Leviathan Pre-Orders + Pre-order Bonuses (10/06)

4 hours ago, Burni said:

Will Independent dealers be given and idea of stock available to them this week? Not sure how that usually works.

My FLGS got told they're to expect 30 pcs. They've asked for 200+ pcs. (yes). 

Although they're telling me they're in top10 of EU stores based on order sizes, so they might get a larger allocation in the end. It's still up in the air who will get theirs.

2 hours ago, Kastor Krieg said:

My FLGS got told they're to expect 30 pcs. They've asked for 200+ pcs. (yes). 

Although they're telling me they're in top10 of EU stores based on order sizes, so they might get a larger allocation in the end. It's still up in the air who will get theirs.

Damn thats not looking good. I know alot of them are basing it off indomitus numbers sold. 

A couple of links that may be of interest. Over on Reddit a couple of people have commented saying their FLGS's have bee told to expect around 50 copies (compared to the 1-4 they have had of other products): https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/141okf5/psa_3rd_party_stores_should_have_an_idea_early/

However, Alchemists Workshops say they have asked for 1200!!! copies from GWhttps://twitter.com/AlchemistsWorks/status/1665798592005648387 (I did like someone pointing out that means 24000 Termagants worth of boxes)

Will be very interesting to see what other stores say about their allocations/requests.

Edit: This might be an even more valuable link: https://twitter.com/MightyLGames/status/1665745110019997696

Mighty Lancer Games are saying that GW has initially placed a "soft cap" of 60 copies of Leviathan per store initially, however they are expecting to allocate more stock on Friday. Mighty Lancer Games have apparently asked for 1000 copies and they are expecting to get significantly more. They also mention in the comments that the initial allocation of Indomitus was actually MORE generous than the 60 copies of Leviathan.

I really don't know what to think on that. On the one hand GW could be being really really cagey and keeping initial allocations low so that all FLGS get a chance, but then on the otherhand, GW absolutely should have been aware of the monstrous demand there would be for this box and shouldn't need to set allocations so low.

Edited by RWJP

9 hours ago, Nova-V said:

True but I've never been a fan of reading documents from screens, I find it hard to process, flicking through a book is much easier.  Plus one of the advantages of the cards is having quick access to stats at the table but online you need to scroll through them on a small phone screen.  It's personal preference I grant you but one that I've heard voiced by others and it doesn't help the launch feel anything but a bit flat.

Yeah but nothings stopping you from printing them yourself. 

Edited by Sir Clausel

5 minutes ago, Sir Clausel said:

Yeah but nothings stopping you from printing them yourself. 

I don't have or know anyone else who has a printer any more.  However I could find a local printing company I guess.

True but I've never been a fan of reading documents from screens, I find it hard to process, flicking through a book is much easier.  Plus one of the advantages of the cards is having quick access to stats at the table but online you need to scroll through them on a small phone screen.  It's personal preference I grant you but one that I've heard voiced by others and it doesn't help the launch feel anything but a bit flat.

sorry but it’s hilarious to read complaints about free rules…

39 minutes ago, Sea Creature said:

sorry but it’s hilarious to read complaints about free rules…

I'm not complaining about the free rules. I'm just a bit miffed at the lack of paid for rules on release that's all.  For those who like the download rules great, I'm glad those people get to use them.  Just a personal preference thing I'm not a fan of documents online.  It's not a binary situation I can want the paid for rules whilst also being happy that others get the free ones.

Edited by Nova-V

Per the roadmap, in autumn you will get the codex release, with all the datacards in a shiny new book.

And I ordered my copy from my FLG, hopefully I get one.

Edited by Mana

2 hours ago, RWJP said:

I really don't know what to think on that. On the one hand GW could be being really really cagey and keeping initial allocations low so that all FLGS get a chance, but then on the otherhand, GW absolutely should have been aware of the monstrous demand there would be for this box and shouldn't need to set allocations so low.

It may be they're terrified of having another Dominion on their hands. That might sound crazy to us, but not to cagey shareholders who don't have their finger on the pulse. 

If it all sells out immediately on Saturday morning, they can swoop in with a "Dohohoh we couldn't predict this, luckily you can get a Made-To-Order box (direct from us without the LFGS discount)" and be praised for it anyway.

@Nova-V You could download the free rules onto a USB and go to office works (or whatever your local equivalent is) and get it printed and spiral bound for a few dollars It's only 30 pages double sided.

(i was able to print and bind it myself, The joys of working at a University) i plan to download all the datacards and Laminate them, this is a step in the right direction by GW I hope it continues and they don't drop them like they did with AoS first ed... :sweat:

Edited by Tyriks

3 hours ago, RWJP said:

A couple of links that may be of interest. Over on Reddit a couple of people have commented saying their FLGS's have bee told to expect around 50 copies (compared to the 1-4 they have had of other products): https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer40k/comments/141okf5/psa_3rd_party_stores_should_have_an_idea_early/

However, Alchemists Workshops say they have asked for 1200!!! copies from GWhttps://twitter.com/AlchemistsWorks/status/1665798592005648387 (I did like someone pointing out that means 24000 Termagants worth of boxes)

Will be very interesting to see what other stores say about their allocations/requests.

Edit: This might be an even more valuable link: https://twitter.com/MightyLGames/status/1665745110019997696

Mighty Lancer Games are saying that GW has initially placed a "soft cap" of 60 copies of Leviathan per store initially, however they are expecting to allocate more stock on Friday. Mighty Lancer Games have apparently asked for 1000 copies and they are expecting to get significantly more. They also mention in the comments that the initial allocation of Indomitus was actually MORE generous than the 60 copies of Leviathan.

So with Dominion large stores were soft capped at 60, and smaller ones 10. On the friday they got the full allocations. I believe Alchemist workshop went from 60 to 300. Idomitus was around 300 in the end too with a further 300 a but later. 

1 hour ago, Nova-V said:

I'm not complaining about the free rules. I'm just a bit miffed at the lack of paid for rules on release that's all.  For those who like the download rules great, I'm glad those people get to use them.  Just a personal preference thing I'm not a fan of documents online.  It's not a binary situation I can want the paid for rules whilst also being happy that others get the free ones.

Yeah. I am planning to print off the core rules and quick start guide, but would like to buy a physical version of the data cards from the Indexes. So far, no word on when that will happen, or even if that will happen.

It is weird that they have not announced when these things will be available outside of the Leviathan box. Do not remember, did it take long for GW to sell the 9th Ed core rulebook outside of Indomitus?

At least the mission cards will be available on eBay right away thanks to people buying multiple boxes of Leviathan.

1 hour ago, phandaal said:

It is weird that they have not announced when these things will be available outside of the Leviathan box. Do not remember, did it take long for GW to sell the 9th Ed core rulebook outside of Indomitus?

The focus now is Leviathan, I think after the preorder ends, the following Sunday they will preview the cards or things related to the new edition, but not before to avoid overlap with Leviathan.

25 minutes ago, EnsignJoker said:

Im having trouble deciding if I want the box or not. The only thing I really need is the rulebook, and even that isn’t a necessity. It just feels weird to me not getting in on the new edition launch, but I’m having a hard time justifying dropping $250 plus on it when I can just use that to buy more models of armies I already own. 

It’s a weird business mechanic to make someone feel left out of a major tent pole release of a game they love simply because they don’t really use anything included in the release. 

Same here, I only want the BrB.

I don't want a Leviathan version so zero FOMO for the box.

Waiting with a pdf. version until October(?) will be absolutely fine.

Then next year my codex will drop, that spreads the wallet hit very nicely, and my funds can buy other things in between.

11 hours ago, Nova-V said:

I'm not complaining about the free rules. I'm just a bit miffed at the lack of paid for rules on release that's all.

But the paid for rules are inside the Leviathan box on it's release date :sweat:

I appreciate it's not ideal if you don't collect either of those armies, but this has been GW strategy for the last 2-3 years regarding rules - if you buy the £100+ army starter bundle or whatever, you get the latest codex and bunch of other gubbins 1-3 months ahead of everyone else. We've seen it with Orks, Votann, SoB, and most of the AoS armies. 

As far as I know, GW hasn't announced all the other stuff that will go on preorder on that day also. The BRB might be a week or two away, or even on the same day. 

5 hours ago, EnsignJoker said:

Im having trouble deciding if I want the box or not. The only thing I really need is the rulebook, and even that isn’t a necessity. It just feels weird to me not getting in on the new edition launch, but I’m having a hard time justifying dropping $250 plus on it when I can just use that to buy more models of armies I already own. 

It’s a weird business mechanic to make someone feel left out of a major tent pole release of a game they love simply because they don’t really use anything included in the release. 

I get that - starters always have the attached need to get them due to the discount on models, but it's ultimately poor use of funds if you will never use those models. Though chances are with the demand for this set, you could get the box, then sell off both halves of the models and cover the entire cost, getting the book for free. 

1 hour ago, Xenith said:

But the paid for rules are inside the Leviathan box on it's release date :sweat:

I appreciate it's not ideal if you don't collect either of those armies, but this has been GW strategy for the last 2-3 years regarding rules - if you buy the £100+ army starter bundle or whatever, you get the latest codex and bunch of other gubbins 1-3 months ahead of everyone else. We've seen it with Orks, Votann, SoB, and most of the AoS armies. 

As far as I know, GW hasn't announced all the other stuff that will go on preorder on that day also. The BRB might be a week or two away, or even on the same day. 

I get that - starters always have the attached need to get them due to the discount on models, but it's ultimately poor use of funds if you will never use those models. Though chances are with the demand for this set, you could get the box, then sell off both halves of the models and cover the entire cost, getting the book for free. 

They've been doing for longer than that, I've got a old white dwarf from 2006ish where they're advertising a Tau army bundle where it was the first place to get not only the army book but many of the kits before general release as well as an exclusive model that you weren't getting anywhere else.

Also I expect all the individual non-model parts of the box to be announced a week or so after the 24th, index cards and all (They did show them off at warhammer fest as that's why some were concerned that both flavours of Knights were being combined to a single codex when they were sharing an index space for other reasons)

In fact they may make the rulebook available on its own the same time they release the new starter sets, which will be end of summer-early autumn.

12 hours ago, SirSalabean said:

So with Dominion large stores were soft capped at 60, and smaller ones 10. On the friday they got the full allocations. I believe Alchemist workshop went from 60 to 300. Idomitus was around 300 in the end too with a further 300 a but later. 

Is even that enough though I know Hobby Workshop has a register of at least 500.

Remember folks these are all initial caps so that every store gets a chance - my local stockist (which is just a small model section inside a toy store) probably won't even order the 10 copies they'd be able to, and I suppose there will be many many other stockists in a similar position. Once GW knows how many didn't take up the full amount they could, they'll start handing those out to the stores that requested more than their initial cap. 

Also, there's clearly exceptions at work here because there's absolutely no chance the likes of Element Games, Goblin Gaming and so on are only going to get 60 boxes, these guys get literal pallet-loads.