Leviathan Pre-Orders + Pre-order Bonuses (10/06)

9 minutes ago, RWJP said:

Out of curiousity, what exact date did you sign up on the ROI form?

I'm trying to figure out what Dark Sphere's allocation was like. I signed it at 10am on 30/04 which was less than 24 hours after it went live so I did get a copy.

Jut FYI, Dark Sphere are now offering a 20% discount following GW's trade price change back in late 2022.

Thu 11th May, 12:35

1 minute ago, Arkhanist said:

Thu 11th May, 12:35

Cheers.

So that means they were able to allocate stock for nearly a fortnight's worth of interest. Obviously difficult to say how many people that would have been but I can only assume hundreds.

Just now, Arkhanist said:

I mostly order through Element Games to be fair, as though their discount isn't always the best, they stock a much wider range of paint suppliers than most (which I use a lot), and next day delivery pretty cheaply. But they don't do a register of interest for pre-orders AFAIK, so DS has been my goto for that stuff. Given it's usually that or GW full price, I'll take what I can get!

Hasn't mostly everyone had to drop to up-to-20% discount now since the FLGS price hike? I think there's only a couple left hanging on at up to 22%.

Element are firmly on my :cuss: list after seeing their scummy practices, including (but not limited to) lying about the RRP on products to artificially inflate the discount on 'sale' items and removing specific items from their 'sale' which were proving popular.

But to stay on topic, yes, most only offer 20% discount now, and whilst DS used to be great with their 25% off, now at 20% off and having to pay for shipping they are worse value than many other sites. I wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan is the full RRP on DS, given that they know people will still buy it at that price with how limited the supply is.

9 minutes ago, RWJP said:

Out of curiousity, what exact date did you sign up on the ROI form?

I'm trying to figure out what Dark Sphere's allocation was like. I signed it at 10am on 30/04 which was less than 24 hours after it went live so I did get a copy.

Jut FYI, Dark Sphere are now offering a 20% discount following GW's trade price change back in late 2022.

I signed up 5th May for 1 copy (didn't get a box), my buddy signed up 70 minutes later for 1 copy, got a box. only difference we can think of is he ordered something the same day he signed up, I haven't ordered for a while.

3 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

I signed up 5th May for 1 copy (didn't get a box), my buddy signed up 70 minutes later for 1 copy, got a box. only difference we can think of is he ordered something the same day he signed up, I haven't ordered for a while.

Well that doesn’t make much sense.  Surely it’s work in order of when you registered.

4 minutes ago, Arbedark said:

Element are firmly on my :cuss: list after seeing their scummy practices, including (but not limited to) lying about the RRP on products to artificially inflate the discount on 'sale' items and removing specific items from their 'sale' which were proving popular.

But to stay on topic, yes, most only offer 20% discount now, and whilst DS used to be great with their 25% off, now at 20% off and having to pay for shipping they are worse value than many other sites. I wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan is the full RRP on DS, given that they know people will still buy it at that price with how limited the supply is.

We'll find out tomorrow! They haven't done that to me previously, but there's always a first time! That's always been the thing with a pre-pre-order though, you don't know what the final price will be, but you do get in at the front of the queue. If it is full RRP, I'll pay it (since the alternative at this point is fighting the GW queue system tomorrow for full RRP anyway, just free shipping) and go with someone else next time.

1 minute ago, Brother Captain Alberic said:

Well that doesn’t make much sense.  Surely it’s work in order of when you registered.

For Dark Sphere, they deprioritise you if you've cancelled a previous 'register of interest' order after the cut off date (the wednesday before pre-order day usually). If you cancel or don't pay after they've raised the paypal invoice, you get very heavily deprioritised in future. They do warn about this in the register itself. Though I've no idea if that applies in this instance!

2 minutes ago, Arkhanist said:

We'll find out tomorrow! They haven't done that to me previously, but there's always a first time! That's always been the thing with a pre-pre-order though, you don't know what the final price will be, but you do get in at the front of the queue. If it is full RRP, I'll pay it (since the alternative at this point is fighting the GW queue system tomorrow for full RRP anyway, just free shipping) and go with someone else next time.

I think that's probably a very sensible decision if you want the box!

I shall likely be fighting with the unwashed masses for a copy tomorrow through whatever site I can find a copy on, whether that is GW or a third party.

I order exclusively from Dark Sphere and Alchemists Workshop now. I have a preference for Alchemists Workshop overall, but am fine dealing with Dark Sphere and I've ordered from them 6 times this year. I don't know that bumped me up the waiting list above those who have ordered less, or if it is luck of the draw, but as with buying football or concert tickets there isn't a way to be 100% fair to everyone. 

10 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

That's bizarre. Prior to registering interest for Leviathan I hadn't ordered anything from Dark Sphere since August 2022, so I don't think that is what caused your issue... No idea what went on in your case. Have you done any other RoIs with them that you then backed out of?

15 minutes ago, Arbedark said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Leviathan is the full RRP on DS, given that they know people will still buy it at that price with how limited the supply is.

To be honest I've never known Darksphere not offer a discount at all, even on new/high demand stuff. They almost always price it with their full 20% off (previously it was 25%). Very occasionally it's rounded to a flat pound price which shaves the discount a little, and a couple of times I've seen them do only 15%, but to be honest most of the other stores I deal with do exactly the same. If they have any left after the register of interest buyers (I got one, woo!) then I'd expect them to be 20% off like usual.

5 minutes ago, RWJP said:

That's bizarre. Prior to registering interest for Leviathan I hadn't ordered anything from Dark Sphere since August 2022, so I don't think that is what caused your issue... No idea what went on in your case. Have you done any other RoIs with them that you then backed out of?

Come to think of it yes, it was the chaos knights launch box but due to some real life shenanigans by the time preorders came around I wasn't able to cover the cost so passed on that. Makes sense in that case!

Come to think of it, how do I get back into good books if I can't actually get a ROI to go through to redeem myself or am I a dead customer now?

Edited by Mogger351

2 minutes ago, Mogger351 said:

Come to think of it yes, it was the chaos knights launch box but due to some real life shenanigans by the time preorders came around I wasn't able to cover the cost so passed on that. Makes sense in that case!

Come to think of it, how do I get back into good books if I can't actually get a ROI to go through to redeem myself or am I a dead customer now?

Ahh, that would most likely be it then. I don't know if they only punish you for the next ROI you sign up for, or if it's an ongoing thing! Might be worth sending them a message.

12 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

To be honest I've never known Darksphere not offer a discount at all, even on new/high demand stuff. They almost always price it with their full 20% off (previously it was 25%). Very occasionally it's rounded to a flat pound price which shaves the discount a little, and a couple of times I've seen them do only 15%, but to be honest most of the other stores I deal with do exactly the same. If they have any left after the register of interest buyers (I got one, woo!) then I'd expect them to be 20% off like usual.

To be fair, I haven't seen DS do this recently (not in the past year, certainly), so maybe my comments were off the mark in that respect, and I should have made that clearer from the start.

Even at RRP, Leviathan is cracking value, and I don't have a problem with third parties not offering a discount on it, given the lack of supply, as long as that has been made clear, which is clearly difficult on these register of interest lists due the lack of information they have at that stage.

45 minutes ago, Arbedark said:

To be fair, I haven't seen DS do this recently (not in the past year, certainly), so maybe my comments were off the mark in that respect, and I should have made that clearer from the start.

Even at RRP, Leviathan is cracking value, and I don't have a problem with third parties not offering a discount on it, given the lack of supply, as long as that has been made clear, which is clearly difficult on these register of interest lists due the lack of information they have at that stage.

I definitely remember Dark Sphere not offering a discount on certain big items before too. I think it might have been the Christmas Battleforces or Votann Army Set?

I've usually found Dark Sphere's shipping to be so expensive that it eats up the difference from ordering somewhere which has less of a discount but sends it for free.

Edited by Lord Marshal

16 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

I definitely remember Dark Sphere not offering a discount on certain big items before too. I think it might have been the Christmas Battleforces or Votann Army Set?

I've usually found Dark Sphere's shipping to be so expensive that it eats up the difference from ordering somewhere else which has less of a discount but sends it for free.

Glad I'm not going crazy. Yes, when they did 25% off and a flat shipping they were the best around. Then they charged shipping per £100 of order and then it became a mathematical puzzle deciding where to order. Now they're down to 20% off and with flat shipping they're never the best price, but do have good stock usually, so I still order from them semi-regularly, mixed in with other sites. 

1 minute ago, Rusted Boltgun said:

So third-party pre-orders are closed before they open and listings are already up on eBay from (I presume) scalpers. One lists 30 copies of the rule book already sold!

Interesting to see how this goes tomorrow...

Shambolically, is my guess... 

5 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

That's gotta be a shop selling stuff in the back.

Yeah there's some sellers selling individual parts as preorders (which is fine if that's what you want to do with your box) but they've got 20-30 boxes worth to sell. Dodgy but expected at this point. 

Hobby Workshop have confirmed my order and sent an invoice already. So looks like I'm getting a lie in tomorrow! 

There seem to be a fair few boxes and splits on eBay now already. Just looked at a listing for the full box heading stated great price or something, £250. It said last one available and 15 sold....how?

My independent store asked for a fair few and got 30 but was only allocated 5 bonus trays

Wasn't it said somewhere that some retailers were scalping some of their stock on eBay each week to keep the stores afloat? My local retailer shut a few years ago, dire times for some of them I'm sure. 

The whole situation is all a bit dire really, the last three editions I've had to have a bookmark folder of like 10+ stores all ready to spam when orders open. Hopefully the reserve comes through this time. 

Edited by Bradeh

A few of them were caught doing it a few years ago, which led to Games Workshop banning stores officially taking part in "order-splitting" to try and mitigate it.

1 hour ago, Lord Marshal said:

Iirc their initial allocation of boxsets was at the regular discount, restocks were sold at 10% discount (same as they do for GW direct products).