Warhammer Preview - NOVA Open 2023

11 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

Scouts - Massive improvement on the utterly bad existing models. It looks like the unit has changed in terms of how it functions and is equipped, but I think that's better for the game as the current Scouts can be abusive for their cost and make some other units redundant (Eliminators). Overall this is a straight up win compared to what came before.

The joke being that they made those rules "abusive" in an attempt to clear out stock before removing the unit from the game.  

13 minutes ago, Slips said:

You'd think that but even GW forgot what Omni was since Suppressors are legit the only mix-of-sub-mk10 unit we have and you cant buy them standalone to this day.

Assuming a three year turn around, I wonder if the new Terminators and 1-to-1 replacement of Assault Squads and Bike Squads is an indicator that they're abandoning the original Primaris plan that Jes Goodwin described when Shadowspear and the Suppressors were released. 

Overall a really nice reveal.  The 40K  marines were mostly home runs for me.  I’m so so on the jump guys and the Term Captain but will definitely buy the rest.  Not a fan of the Chaplain shield but love the model itself.

I use HH marines for my 40K Iron Warriors.  The 40K legionaries are too chaosy for what I want my IW to be.  I have 10 mk2, 10 mk4, and 20 mk3 that I was ready to replace with 40 new mk 3 upscaled.  Trouble is I agree with the majority here that the old ones look WAY better.  I’m in agreement with the comment earlier they should have just upscaled the old models like they did the Terminators.  I guess my IWs will remain short.

32 minutes ago, Indy Techwisp said:

Isn't Omnis a modified Gravis, rather than Phobos?

Omni was described as being a wearers mix-and-match between Tacticus, Phobos and Gravis in any combination for a given thing they were doing.

49 minutes ago, jaxom said:

Assuming a three year turn around, I wonder if the new Terminators and 1-to-1 replacement of Assault Squads and Bike Squads is an indicator that they're abandoning the original Primaris plan that Jes Goodwin described when Shadowspear and the Suppressors were released. 

Maybe, who knows.

There's alot to like about the new mk 3 design like the contoured armour plates look fancier and suit some legions better in my mind. 3-d goes brrt so I have access to both in new scale kinda lucky that way but I'll admit I'm not a fan of the new helmet. It doesn't look like it's armoured it just looks like it swapped the mono visor for dual lenses and added a spike. Can't wait to see what the next round of helmet upgrade packs will be like as I think that's what's really gonna make or break the new design.

1 hour ago, jaxom said:

It was either start replacing the old units or actually make new firstborn. There was no reason to re-invent the wheel and with the ongoing narrative it would hit a point where it didn't make sense anyway just as a matter of logistics. Seems to me the descision became alot easier when Age of Darkness hit the shelves. Even if they wanted originally to keep them around they had already put themselves into a corner and there's no way to put the genie back into the bottle.

2 hours ago, OttoVonAwesome said:

3-d goes brrt so I have access to both in new scale kinda lucky that way but I'll admit I'm not a fan of the new helmet. It doesn't look like it's armoured it just looks like it swapped the mono visor for dual lenses and added a spike.

Doesn't really matter what you're a fan of or not if you're just going to print anyway. Change what you don't like, my guy! It isn't rocket surgery.

2 hours ago, Lemondish said:

Doesn't really matter what you're a fan of or not if you're just going to print anyway. Change what you don't like, my guy! It isn't rocket surgery.

Everytime one of these new designs pops up my brain comes up with a new legion project anyway. This one might be emperor's children. Mk 6 was Blood angels for nostaligia reasons. If I print an army it's for a specific vision as well. It's nice having options even if GW doesn't agree.

So now we have actual (non-)Primaris Assault Marines, Bike Squads and Terminators..  When are we going to get (non-)Primaris Tactical and Devastator squads and do you think now that the enormous overlap will result in completely dropping somewhat redundant (and in some cases ugly and silly) things like Intercessors, Inceptors, Suppressors, Nerfshooters to unify the line further?  This is my prediction for 11th Edition..

Edited by appiah4

I think Intercessors are the replacement for Tactical squad and I don't expect to see Primaris Tactical squads. Yes, Intercessors don't get a heavy weapon but with the current state of the game, one heavy weapon doesn't matter much anyway. Bolt rifles are sufficiently better than bolters to compensate, even against tough targets  

I think Devastator squads are being replaced by a combination of Hellblasters, Eradicators and Desolators. We are missing Grav and Lascannons but most functional niches are present. 

2 hours ago, Karhedron said:

I think Intercessors are the replacement for Tactical squad and I don't expect to see Primaris Tactical squads. Yes, Intercessors don't get a heavy weapon but with the current state of the game, one heavy weapon doesn't matter much anyway. Bolt rifles are sufficiently better than bolters to compensate, even against tough targets  

I think Devastator squads are being replaced by a combination of Hellblasters, Eradicators and Desolators. We are missing Grav and Lascannons but most functional niches are present. 

Its possible GW thinks they covered Las with Eliminators? I hope they do a true Primaris Dev squad in the future though.

4 hours ago, appiah4 said:

So now we have actual (non-)Primaris Assault Marines, Bike Squads and Terminators..  When are we going to get (non-)Primaris Tactical and Devastator squads and do you think now that the enormous overlap will result in completely dropping somewhat redundant (and in some cases ugly and silly) things like Intercessors, Inceptors, Suppressors, Nerfshooters to unify the line further?  This is my prediction for 11th Edition..

Doubtful, more likely that Mk VII will get moved to the HH for a potential scouring expansion. Plus that's assuming they remove tacticals and devastators in 11th which I think they won't, instead kicking the decision further down the road.

10 hours ago, Slips said:

Omni was described as being a wearers mix-and-match between Tacticus, Phobos and Gravis in any combination for a given thing they were doing.

Maybe, who knows.

It wouldn’t be the first time that course correction has been done. AoS had some pretty substantial ones, design philosophy 180, factions have come and gone, and the flagship Stormcast line got a significant makeover a few years back.

So who knows if the Primaris project hasn’t generated the constant success that was mandated and that they now are banking more on nostalgia updates

The winner among the new marines IMO is the Company of Heroes, especially the banner bearer. Sternguard look godd aswell (The Crimson Fist example is 10/10)

Im not a fan of the heel-jets on the jumpack marines (Now with wings! Get yours now!), what is it with GW and sticking stuff to Primaris feet, sandwich irons on Inceptors, Gene Simmons KISS boots on Gravis etc etc.

And I had hoped for a homage to OG jumppack marines that the torsos would have the jumppack straps.

Like the new scouts an the Termies are ace.

43 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

It wouldn’t be the first time that course correction has been done. AoS had some pretty substantial ones, design philosophy 180, factions have come and gone, and the flagship Stormcast line got a significant makeover a few years back.

So who knows if the Primaris project hasn’t generated the constant success that was mandated and that they now are banking more on nostalgia updates

More likely it was a success but GW want to have their cake and eat it too and are playing the nostalgia card (well a minor one) to get even more money.

Though if they wanted more nostalgia money, they could always bring back Space Hulk as a permanent fixture!

That was a great NOVA. The AoS models looked fantastic, the new Fulgrim manages to capture both beauty and monstrosity, the MKIII looked great to me and we finally got to see some Astartes instead of these silly npc factions that keep clogging up the release schedule.