I need a good arctic camo scheme

altmann

I have 2 Cadian snipers that I'm wanting to paint up to add to my Scout squad. I know they're not standard Marines, but I figure, those are the coolest, plus scouts don't wear standard armor.

Problem is, I can't figure out what scheme to paint them. Most arctic camo looks waaaay to U.S. military to work on a scout for 40k. I'm thinking with either a SWgrey undercoat and white stripes, or the reverse, white undercoat with SW Grey stripes. I've never seen this done and I'm trying to find other examples.

Anyone got anything?

Having a military background and experience with arctic camouflage I would go with a primarily white with touches of Space wolves gray and Codex gray. But like you said with it being 40k camo goes any direction. I would look up as much of the Imperial Guard sniper units and see what others have painted them and come up with a combination of ideas. Also I like this style of arctic scheme; I plan on using this on my Guard units down the road.

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/5577/arctic6zd.jpg

Eiswulf's scheme looks cool. I would say match the camo to your base. Snowy base= white camo. Being a fan of the show stargate they seem to wear all white, non cammo, when in the snow. thats prob what id do. So ur sw grey undercoat and white highlight should look good. I would say look at GW site for their advice on how to paint High Elves, they paint em all white. SHould be the same white you'd be going for. Good Luck

I have 2 Cadian snipers that I'm wanting to paint up to add to my Scout squad. I know they're not standard Marines, but I figure, those are the coolest

I just bought two cadians and two catachans myself. Best looking sniper models out there. I like the idea of the arctic color scheme too, as anything too similar to your game board can actually cause you to forget they're on the board....>.< (it's funny when your opponent forgets where they are, not when you do btw) Being that I personally am the WORST at painting white without it looking chalky, I'm going to suggest painting them codex or fortress grey, or maybe even a lighter shade, and then adding in white stripes or splotches. Also, you could paint the cloaks they wear solid white, and do the camo look on just the bodies.

I like German splinter pattern myself.

On the pic above, when did the Israelis get snow camo???

Or, rather, what country with snow adopted the 7.62mm NATO version of the Galil?

ETA - Let me guess again, it's from Rainbow 6 or something??

Do a natural camo, prime white, then apply a few layers of blank ink wash, when dipping in the ink twist and turn the model so the ink runs in different places so it does NOT only settle into low spots. Once the ink has dried you should get a swirly cammo affect, now just follow those water lines with shades of grey. comes out very interesting and cool looking.

I did it to a degree with my scouts, but you can even go smaller on the pattern to give it more of the effect your looking for.

These are my first models I ever painted. Still makes me cry when I am faced with the fact I can't use my shotgun scouts anymore.

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq71/WG_Vrox/ScoutZ.jpg

Vrox.

Ok i tried the elven cloak tutorial method on one of them, what do you think? It's not "camo" but it's white and definitely arctic:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2638/3959531588_ed42f46e4c.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2626/3958760209_8b9e0a8a24.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2614/3958759795_15d38d8d7a.jpg

I think I'll go white on the gun (not done w/that) and even thinking about painting white "camo" stripes on his face.

What do you think?

Ok i tried the elven cloak tutorial method on one of them, what do you think? It's not "camo" but it's white and definitely arctic:

I think I'll go white on the gun (not done w/that) and even thinking about painting white "camo" stripes on his face.

What do you think?

Looks good. For more of a "pattern" you could try a test patch on a piece of plastic (fast food spoon for instance) primed and painted like your cloaks, then add a pattern of light grey, medium grey, dark grey and black colors and shapes (dots, blotches, lines etc.) to see if you can create something to your liking. If so, just repeat the "pattern" onto the model once you find one you like. There is insipration available on the intraweb for ideas. Leaving them as is works too if you don't find/can't create anything to your liking.

the thing about camo is that it is supposed to break up lines, not create them. you need to take inspiration from modern camo, and from old. germans in w2 with their spotted camo had the best stuff at the time. id also camo them up with what is on the base. makes it look consistent and with purpose. other then that id follow the advice about the spoons. my scouts however are just sneaky and dont need camo! even if they were to have snipers.

I second the watering of the paints. As for camoflauge, I can honestly say that breaking up lines is the way to go. I can't even count how many people walk past me in my turkey hunting gear while playing paintball, only to get shot in the back of the head. The guys who wear the military camo always get shot out quickly, mostly because it doesn't match the environment and they are readily visible. The biggest thing is to make the guy blend into the base he's on, but not so much that you lose him when your playing.

As for my scouts, if I give them sniper rifles, they'll be in little igloos, because I think it's funny, and what better camo is their on a field full of snow than more snow?

As for my scouts, if I give them sniper rifles, they'll be in little igloos, because I think it's funny, and what better camo is their on a field full of snow than more snow?

In the Tau codex theres a one of the tau paint schemes based on grey. Its a grey disriptive paint job and I will be using it for my space wolf tanks

Archived