Games Day U.S. 2010

Sambu

I have been to them 3 times before. Luckily I live in Pennsylvania so its about 3 hours away for me so I will still go. still sux though for others. Thats a long hike away from California or even Chicago.

Only having one games day in North America does suck because of how big the continent is but I do hope that concentrating the event will make it more impressive sort of like the GD in GB. I went to this years GD in Baltimore and it kind of sucked, the entire convention hall wasn't filled, there were hardly any games going on, etc. The only reason I enjoyed it was because I was able to buy some stuff that usually would be hard to get and I saw some friends I hadn't seen in a while.

I know I'm being optimistic but I really hope that they can make this event awesome (its probably in Baltimore because they didn't have to pay as much to rent the convention center).

normally Im optomistic about the quality of games day. unfortunately, with the last baltimore games day in mind, I hesitate to look forward to this combination games day. certainaly I hope it works out....but i think i will reserve full judgement until we get more information than this brief statement....

Well Deus, Games Day really doesn't suck except for this years as I was told. My first 2 GD's were 2 Day event's which I loved. the last was a one day event which was OK because of all the other GD's but I was still happy. To me it seems like they are going back to very old day's where the Baltimore Games Day was the only event in North America. Now I assume Games Day Canada is still a go but I am not sure. I recommend going to a Games Day if it is your first. Also, I hope Emperor Bobo is right and next year's GD is more awesome than it was before. I would like to see though the tournament brought back.

That is a little surprising that the GD sucked this year. Last year I really had a good time and was actually sorry to see it end. I had gone in previous years and I was usually ready to go after a few hours of being there. Making the trip from california to baltimore probably won't be in the cards so hopefully they will get one out to the west coast either Los Angels or even Las Vegas would be good.

The fact that they are holding one Gamesday a year makes my blood boil, to be honest. I live about an hour and a half away from GD Baltimore, so the distance isn't an issue for me.

What really makes me want to rip my hair out is how poor a business decision it is on GW's part. By putting everything into one event, they are obviously limiting the number of people that will show up. Not everyone can fly to Maryland to attend a gaming convention, so they eliminated a lot of deticated gamers who have been faithful GW patrons from attending. Frankly, if I lived in Chicogo and found that they dropped the GD there, I would be furious. They may be throwing one "epic" event as they posted, but in all reality it is going to be crap.

Admit it, you're all thinking it.

GW has been going downhill in my opinion. Not in profits, but because of their crappy customer service and their attitude towards their customers.

Maybe Las Vegas would work because of tons of cheap hotels and flights out there and people can drive from LA. They have to do it near major populations though, and Baltimore is in the middle of the eastern seaboard.

If I remember correctly, they dropped Gamesday LA because they were actually losing money.

This is what I'm talking about. They just f#%@ed a ton of people who go to Gamesday. I have every year since I started painting, and it pains me to see GW screw up this badly.

I have heard stuff about the new Golden Daemon rules, but I haven't seen anything on the web. If what I have heard is true, I'm just going to snap my brushes in half and forget about competitive painting.

Maybe Las Vegas would work because of tons of cheap hotels and flights out there and people can drive from LA. They have to do it near major populations though, and Baltimore is in the middle of the eastern seaboard.

If I remember correctly, they dropped Gamesday LA because they were actually losing money.

This is what I'm talking about. They just f#%@ed a ton of people who go to Gamesday. I have every year since I started painting, and it pains me to see GW screw up this badly.

I have heard stuff about the new Golden Daemon rules, but I haven't seen anything on the web. If what I have heard is true, I'm just going to snap my brushes in half and forget about competitive painting.

I'm curious as to these 'rumors' for Golden Daemon, but that'll have to be either a sideboard conversation over PM, or an entirely different topic thread.

Back on topic, however, I've never been to a Games Day, but I've always read the 'reports*' on it, and from the outside looking in, I always wanted to participate in one. Alas, between military and education, I rarely have the time. It would be good to see what large-scale, cross-country competitive gaming looked like.

*Read: Propaganda

I'm personally happy on multiple topics here.

For starters, I live in Maryland so I'm glad Games Day will be here.

I'm also glad they are scaling back GamesDays in the US because they have been absolutely horrible for about 5 years now. Maybe with fewer events they will go back to the multi day events that were jam packed with people like the first couple of Games Days I attended.

Now as for why Baltimore, I would presume it's because they have many more GW stores on the east coast, their HQ is actually in Maryland, it's cheaper to host events in Baltimore, and it's cheaper to fly people from the UK to visit Baltimore.

There are also advantages for it being in Baltimore versus places like New York, Chicago, etc because the rates are lower here, less concern for the hotels being packed all year long, and still a large number of attractions and social activities around the convention center. Not to mention the public transportation in Maryland is significantly better then some of the other places.

Also having been to Las Vegas numerous times, I can't even fathom trying to host a Games Day there. Not only because you'd inconvenience even more people (since more players are on the east coast apparently judging by the number of stores here), but because Las Vegas is going to be infinitely more expensive for everyone to go to.

I'm also glad they are scaling back GamesDays in the US because they have been absolutely horrible for about 5 years now. Maybe with fewer events they will go back to the multi day events that were jam packed with people like the first couple of Games Days I attended.

Now as for why Baltimore, I would presume it's because they have many more GW stores on the east coast, their HQ is actually in Maryland, it's cheaper to host events in Baltimore, and it's cheaper to fly people from the UK to visit Baltimore.

There are also advantages for it being in Baltimore versus places like New York, Chicago, etc because the rates are lower here, less concern for the hotels being packed all year long, and still a large number of attractions and social activities around the convention center. Not to mention the public transportation in Maryland is significantly better then some of the other places.

Also having been to Las Vegas numerous times, I can't even fathom trying to host a Games Day there. Not only because you'd inconvenience even more people (since more players are on the east coast apparently judging by the number of stores here), but because Las Vegas is going to be infinitely more expensive for everyone to go to.

I'm guessing you've never been to Chicago, have you?

On numerous occasions in fact. Was once a time I had to go there once a month for a week at a time. Ever been to Baltimore's Inner Harbor?

I'm curious as to these 'rumors' for Golden Daemon, but that'll have to be either a sideboard conversation over PM, or an entirely different topic thread.

Supposedly there are going to be "Mini Golden Daemons" at local GW stores. The employee's judge the models, and the models then go elsewhere (I heard Las Vegas) to be judged a second time. After you go through all of that crap, your model can be judged at Gamesday.

For one, I find this to be crap because the closest GW store to me is twenty minutes away and I cannot drive because of medical problems. On top of that, most of the store dislikes me because I started arguing that 5th edition was crap and that GW needs to pull their heads out of their asses by not re-doing Space Marines. On top of that, one of the managers is pissed that I can paint better than him. I'm not trying to brag or sound full of myself, but its true.

With this new Golden Daemon system there can be more bias while judging the models. I could have the slayer sword winning model, but some jackass red-shirt could ruin it for me. I hardly have a chance for winning said slayer sword, but it is an example to prove my point.

Apparently this is how they do it in the UK? I haven't had that confirmed, so don't quote me on that.

I have to disagree with you on this. I enjoy Gamesday only being one day because hotels, no matter where you go, are going to be out of the budget for a college student, such as myself. If I am not mistaken, Grand Tournament got removed from Gamesday and made into a multi day event.

The dang hobby is already expensive enough. Having to pay $25 dollars (down from $45) to go and spend more money on models it ridiculous to me. I understand that is how a lot of conventions work, but having to fight tooth and nail for models with more people there doesn't sound like a great time to me. Two years ago, Forgeworld barely brought anything with them. I don't think they had any Thunderhawks, Titans, and most of the Space Marine stuff excluding the doors, extra armor, and dreadnought bodies. I had a BLAST waiting in line for half an hour to find out that what I wanted was gone when Gamesday JUST opened.

Also having been to Las Vegas numerous times, I can't even fathom trying to host a Games Day there.

I don't think they had Gamesday LA for more than four years. They were losing money with it, as I stated earlier. There were some good Golden Daemon winners there, however. <_<

Ever been to Baltimore's Inner Harbor?

Yeah, and as soon as you get there don't leave. Baltimore can be a scary place, as you know. I feel safer in Richmond, VA than in Baltimore. For those of you who have gone to Richmond, you know what I'm talking about.

Well for once, one of my topics actually is getting some replies LOL. I do hope they do go back to 2 day events. Also I went to a local store to me (not a games workshop store since it is 5 hours away), The owner who I have known for years and who has been dealing in GW mini's since citadel miniatures was created told me that GW is looking to get rid of Games Day alltogether and join in with other big events (The example as I was told was the HMGS Historicon) and co-run the event with them. I would not be against this idea but as I was also told the HMGS East where I am at is under very bad financial situations so seems like the idea is sort of a mute point.

On numerous occasions in fact. Was once a time I had to go there once a month for a week at a time. Ever been to Baltimore's Inner Harbor?

Yes, I've spent some time in Locust Point, but I've been to Fell's Point also. :-)

My issue is with your statement that Baltimore has better Public Trans than some other places (I assume you meant Chicago since you mentioned it earlier in that same statement.)

I hate to tell you, but Chicago has a waaaay better Pub Trans system than Maryland.

Between CTA, Metra, Pace, and Amtrak, one can get anywhere in the ChicagoLAND area, which stretches over almost 3 states. (Illinois, Indiana, and almost into Wisconsin)

Also, it's a common misconception that the Chicago GD was held in Downtown Chicago. (I've run into a lot of people from other states that think it was.) It was actually held out in Rosemont, 15 miles from downtown Chicago, very near to the O'hare Airport. It is on a major Pace bus line, and also quite accessible from the CTA "El" Blue Line.

Baltimore is only an hour to an hour and a half drive from my location so I deffinitely think I'll be going this year. I didn't go last year because I didn't hear anything of worth to attend for and it turned out to be a good decision. I'm hoping this re-concentration of effort results in an awesome event, or I doubt I'll go to any others.

Ugh, wasn't it held in Baltimore last year too?

um... They've had it in Baltimore for a good number of years now, not just last year. Its been one of the steady locations for GD's.

The first Gamesday in the U.S. was in Baltimore. Just waiting for tickets to come out online so our group can go. Just hoping GD is as good as they are making it sound.

Ugh, wasn't it held in Baltimore last year too?

um... They've had it in Baltimore for a good number of years now, not just last year. Its been one of the steady locations for GD's.

I know they have had it there before that too, but last year is the year they scaled back. So I just find that maybe they should switch the location up if they do it once a year.

Archived