WHO were the original 8 grand masters

jimbo1701

Does anyone find it ideologically or intertextually significant that "Janus" is taken from the name of god who is represented as two-headed, or more commonly, two-faced? Does it suggest something about the Grey Knights, through characters such as Crowe, who wield the trappings of Chaos against the creatures of Chaos?

Just talking about "reference": Janus is even the name of a Stargate character. He is the "Ancient" scientist responsible for many technological innovation, he is of course named after the god you quoted.

The question is: what inspired Matt Ward? The god or the character?

By the way looking around the web, on the various wikia about warhammer 40k, I found these informations about the first Grand Masters. I don't know if the data are accurate and currently I'm even unable to check the soruce. If any of you have more detailed info please share with us.

Here it's the list I found:

Supreme Grand Master Janus: he has been officially confirmed as the first Supreme Grand Master.

Grand Master Garviel Loken, formerly of the Luna Wolves (Garro:Legion of One is quoted as source)

Grand Master Iacton Qruze, formerly of the Luna Wolves ( Last Remembrancer short story quoted as source)

Grand Master Nathaniel Garro , formerly of the Death Guard. The famous main character of many novels. ( Garro: Oath of the Moment quoted a source about his role within GK ranks)

Grand Master Varren , formerly of the World Eaters ( Garro: Legion of One)

Grand Master Tyloss Rubio, formerly of the Ultramarines (Garro: Oath of the Moment)

NOTE: It's probable the sources only hint a close relationship between these characters and the Inquisition. Their inclusion in GK rnaks maybe only speculative.

This is however the most detailed list I found. Let me know if it is wrong.

It's good that you've added that it's highly speculative at the moment. I can't remember which writer said it but there was an interview somewhere about how fans shouldn't just assume that the names such as the one's above will be the first grandmasters. Of course it could just be some poor attempt to add mystery to the proceedings in an attempt to cover up the obvious too. Rather than assuming too much it's probably best just to treat them as mentors towards the first generation until the story has been fully fleshed out and we know for sure.

It's good that you've added that it's highly speculative at the moment. I can't remember which writer said it but there was an interview somewhere about how fans shouldn't just assume that the names such as the one's above will be the first grandmasters. Of course it could just be some poor attempt to add mystery to the proceedings in an attempt to cover up the obvious too. Rather than assuming too much it's probably best just to treat them as mentors towards the first generation until the story has been fully fleshed out and we know for sure.

Personally I think the chances they are the first Grand Masters are very high. A "recruitment mission" for the Sigillite, the connection with what appears to be the recently founded Inquisition etc, are all interesting clues. Beside C:GK mentioned several of the first Grand Masters came from the traitors legions, individuals who remain loyal to the Emperor and manking when their fellow brethren fell into betrayal and corruption. A very epic story background for GK.

We'll have to wait for any confirmation, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Now what I'm wondering is do the original grand masters have to be librarians?

Just because all gray knights are psykers does not mean they must be librarians,

remeber gray knights have their own librarians, they are not an army of librarians,

they all have some latent psykic power but can not wield the force of their mind

completly as a librarian can.

But I digress, the point I ment to make is that before the Emperors internment into

th golden throne Malcadore who had been keeping the seat warm transfered the last

of his life force into the Emperor so he could make hs final decrees. Is it not then

plausable that the Emperor could transfer some of his power into the original grand

masters?

Does anyone find it ideologically or intertextually significant that "Janus" is taken from the name of god who is represented as two-headed, or more commonly, two-faced? Does it suggest something about the Grey Knights, through characters such as Crowe, who wield the trappings of Chaos against the creatures of Chaos?

From Wiki, I find the god Janus suggests something potentially intertextually dangerous: "While the fundamental nature of Janus is debated, the complex set of its functions may be seen as organised around a simple principle: in the view of most modern scholars that of presiding over all beginnings and transitions, whether abstract or concrete, sacred or profane." These concepts called "beginnings and transitions", sound a great deal like the concept called "change". This concept of "change" is not part of the standard Amalathian-Monodominant vocabulary that has commonly been associated with the Puritan spectrum of the Inquisition, which has in turn been associated with the Chamber Militant Grey Knights. Dare I suggest that we are being played?

Similar thoughts did vaguely cross my mind, but not with such sinister motives. If Ward is hinting at a diabolic future in store for the chapter then the outrage heard at the moment will pale by comparison with what's to come.

When it was hinted on Tempus Fugitives that there could be such a character called 'Janus', it initially conjured up the links between Janus and January - the beginning of the new year used both as a time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. In that sense I believe Grand Master Janus felt it was his duty to always remember to how the warp had tainted the Astartes in the past and how it was now amongst his oaths to make sure such heresy could never take place again.

I doubt it is anything of sinister of nature but Oiad's take is very interesting (and probably true). My first impressions were that Janus was the leading factor on the current Grey Knight philosophy of "Victory no matter the cost". Military tends to be stoic in nature, always preparing for the last war, never the next one. Always looking back. Janus was able to see that a Puritan outlook, while considerably safer than other paths, would not be enough to overcome such a great foe. Thus, he was the one that created proper procedures and doctrine that would allow the Grey Knights to act with more volatile means while still retaining their purity and cause. Kinda like building up your immune system I guess.

• 8 months later...

I know six of them I believe. 4 I'm certain of and 2 not so sure.

1. Garviel Loken

2. Nathaniel Garrow

3. Varren

4. Rubio

Unsure

Qurze

Mmohtep

sources

Garro Legion of One

Galaxy in flames

Battle for the Abyss

The original Grand Master most likely weren't psykers at all, but all of their replacements were.

SJ

wasnt a problem back then . as part of his great projects the emperor created implants that were boosting human brains to work like a psykers one and even weak psykers were boosted to highest power levels when implanted with it . considering malc gave the future GK the best of the best gear , they could have also been give those or at least the blue prints to make them .

Then again, could the two heads of Janus not be looking into real space and the warp... As such symbolic for the warrior-sorcery character of the Grey Knights?

At any rate, I actually read some of the stories quotes as the source material, and there are only hints in there, nothing definite. As far as I remember Gavriel Loken is dead, killed on Istvan by Abbadon.

Their traitor Mournival brothers, Ezekyle Abaddon and Little Horus, landed on Istvaan to kill Loken and Torgaddon. In the following fight, Torgaddon was killed, but the building in which Loken was fighting Abaddon was crushed by the Dies Irae, an Imperator-class Titan. Loken was badly wounded, but despite his injuries, he survived and was later retrieved from Istvaan III by Captain Nathaniel Garro, who was in service of Malcador the Sigillite.

Their traitor Mournival brothers, Ezekyle Abaddon and Little Horus, landed on Istvaan to kill Loken and Torgaddon. In the following fight, Torgaddon was killed, but the building in which Loken was fighting Abaddon was crushed by the Dies Irae, an Imperator-class Titan. Loken was badly wounded, but despite his injuries, he survived and was later retrieved from Istvaan III by Captain Nathaniel Garro, who was in service of Malcador the Sigillite.

Hm. I'm actually disappointed by that. Soit, if t's like that, it's like that. Didn't read about his rescue...

Loken was such a nice, tragic hero.

Hm. I'm actually disappointed by that. Soit, if t's like that, it's like that. Didn't read about his rescue...

Loken was such a nice, tragic hero.

from pages 390 to the end of Galaxy in flames it says about Loken being alive. You don't read about it as it's in Garro: Legion of One

What if Garro, Loken, Rubio, Varran & Kurze are the training Cadre,

They have the experience of the Great Crusade and as part of the HH, managed to avoid falling to temptations of chaos (for some of them) giving them quite a strong will.

They go into the warp curtosy of Malcador when he hides Titan during the siege of Terra, where they spend the rest of their lives trainning the first grey knights including Janus, the first GrandMarshall.

the original malcador recruits (Garro et al) are not Grey knights but its elite training team. Its written in current fluff that when a new founding of a SM chapter is enacted that training cadres of parent chapters or sponsors are in place to bring the fresh faced marines up to speed. This could of been the first example of this.

True, but maybe they died in battle, and buried in the bottom of Titan. The reason there not mentioned in the Codex is that Black Library are still writing the fiction around them (All Theory), and maybe Matt Ward was able to leave it vague enough to allow BL to finish the story as part of the HH audio/book series.

HQ

Matt Wards Garviel Loken, Surpeme Survivor of Orbital Bombardments - 50 points

Garviel Loken WS10, BS10, S6, T8, W10, I6, A5, Ld10, 2+ Save

Unit Composition

Unit Type

Infantry (Unique)

Wargear

Herey Era Power Armour (Aritificer Armour)

Bolter

Nemesis Chain Axe (Chose to either work as a NFSword or NDH. Can split attacks between the two. The NDH striks at Lokens Initiative value, rather than I1. IF used as a NFSword, Loken gains an extra d6 to penetration rolls)

Iron Halo

Frag Genades

Krak Grenades

Psyk-out Grenades

Rad Grenades

Psycotroke Grenades

Melta Bombs

Psybolt Ammunition

Bolt Pistol (Can be used as a second weapon with Lokens Nemesis Chain Axe)

Special Rules

Eternal Warrior (Come on, he survived a planet killing Orbital Bombardment...)

Feel No Pain (See above)

Fearless (Of course...)

Grand Strategy

The Aegis

Prefered Enemy (everyone)

Psycher (Mastery Level 2)

Fleet (to be able to outrun Orbital Bombardments...)

Furious Charge

"I Shall Return!"

Psychic Powers

Psychic Communion

Hammerhand

"I Shall Return", when Garviel Loken either loses his last wound, or is removed from play, place a token where his mini was. At the start of each turn, roll a d6. On a 2+, Loken returns to play with full Wounds, anywhere on the board you like. In inpassable terrain, locked in combat with another unit, anywhere. Resolve the rest of the game as usual. If Loken is on board on the last turn, he doesn't give a kill point. Not matter the ammount of times he's been removed from play or lost his last wound.

:D

Edit: Yes, just like Crowe, Loken isn't an Independent Character! :)

Edit2: Yes, 50 points. Can't let those Lone Wolves have all the fun, right? Ward's got to trump them somehow!

Loken could take Draigo anyday.

Here is my take on Loken/Cereberus

Loken/Cerberus- 175

Loken: WS: 8 BS: 5: S: 5 T: 6(survived Abaddon and an Orbital Bombardment) W: 5(Same reason as Toughness) I: 5(he's got to be smart but he's no Dante) LD: 10 Sv: 2+

Cerberus: WS: 8 BS: 4 S: 6 T: 6 W: 5 I: 5 A: 7 LD: 8 Sv: 4+ (broken armour no favours)

Wargear

Broken Armour (Cerberus)

Cerberus Bite (Chainsword which is treated as a power weapon)

Bark of Cerberus (Bolt pistol)

Frag and Krak grenades

Iron Halo

Artificer Armour (Loken)

Master Crafted Power sword

Master Crafted Bolter

Defensive and Offensive grenades

Special Rules

Preferred enemy (both)

Fleet (Both)

Reckless Charge (Cerberus +2 attacks +1 Strength)

Feel No Pain (both)

Grand Strategy (Loken)

Fleet

Furious Charge

Preferred Enemy

Pysker (lvl 2)

Instability (roll a D6 1-3 Loken is sane 4-6 Loken becomes Cerberus)

Archived