[Artwork] Roboute Guilliman

Legatus

After a year or so of rolling the idea around in my head, and after about two weeks of work, here is my vision of the Ultramarines Primarch:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/100/a/e/roboute_guilliman_by_phil_gre-d3docmo.jpg

This is pretty much my second attempt at digital painting (I usually draw more cartoony images). My previous one having been a Night Lords portrait two or three years ago.

I had allways imagined Guilliman as a bit more youthful than the average Primarch images we see, and not quite as grizzled. perhaps because the first thing we read about him in the 2nd Edition Codex Ultramarines (and the 5th Edition Codex Space Marines) is how he grew up on Macragge.

I based his armour on the classic Marneus Calgar power armour, with two aquila shoulder pads and two aquilas on his shins, and with the Legion symbol relocated to the torso.

His face is taken almost directly from a sculpture of Augustus.

I also included a larger view of his upper body, since I put more effort into it (*showing off...*), and I think it looks a bit more impressive than the simple overall pose.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/100/c/4/roboute_guilliman__bigger_by_phil_gre-d3dod9z.jpg

That is obvioudly only the first volume of the Codex (which I imagine includes all the regulations regarding Space Marine Chapters and their place in the Imperium, while there are separate volumes that deal with Chapter organisation, combat doctrine, and entire archives full of historical accounts of fought battles). The "I" in this case does not refer to the Inquisition. :P I was not sure how to represent the Codex, so I kept it relatively simple.

Your Chapter of choice has been kickin ass and taking names for the past 10,000 years following that book. It can't be that bad. ;) In fact, from reading their Index Astartes, the Imperial Fists made good use of the more flexible Codex force organisation, paired with their inate knack for pre-battle planning.

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Legatus, with your over blown love of Ultramarines, especially Guilliman.

Almost a direct copy of Augustus' head, nice.

I do like it though, as an art peice rather than anything else. ;)

awesome work legatus! one thing that i noticed was the 4-pack on his power-armour, it just seems very out of place and tbh it kinda killed abit of the overall image.

nice work on the head though, i like how you captured the roman feel :)

one thing that i noticed was the 4-pack on his power-armour, it just seems very out of place and tbh it kinda killed abit of the overall image.

Yeah, I was trying to go for the roman breastplate feel (like a lot of the Blood Angel minies, like Tycho, Dante, Mephiston, or the new Sanguinary Guard), but I did not go all the way and did not sculpt the pectoral plate as well. Perhaps I should have gone either with cabling instead or with the additional sclupted breastplate.

Most Blood Angels models only have 4 abdominal muscle plates, probably due to the relatively small gap between the pectoral plate and the belt. The lower two muscle bulges of a six pack are usually below the belly button, so if a belt covers that area then only the top 4 muscles would be visible. See here for example. I think the main problem is that the pectoral plate was not sculpted like musculature as well.

one thing that i noticed was the 4-pack on his power-armour, it just seems very out of place and tbh it kinda killed abit of the overall image.

Yeah, I was trying to go for the roman breastplate feel (like a lot of the Blood Angel minies, like Tycho, Dante, Mephiston, or the new Sanguinary Guard), but I did not go all the way and did not sculpt the pectoral plate as well. Perhaps I should have gone either with cabling instead or with the additional sclupted breastplate.

to bad you didn't go with the cables, personally i feel it would've looked alot better ^_^

any plans on another piece?

Your Chapter of choice has been kickin ass and taking names for the past 10,000 years following that book. It can't be that bad. :D In fact, from reading their Index Astartes, the Imperial Fists made good use of the more flexible Codex force organisation, paired with their inate knack for pre-battle planning.

I've switched to heresy-era Imperial Fists using the BT dex... orthodox, baby!

“The soul of the Imperial Fist can be found in his sword,” Rhetoricus had said.

“When the odds are innumerable against you, and there is little hope of victory, still a

holy warrior with a sword in his hand can prevail, if his intent is righteous and pure.”

Ever since the days of Dorn, it was seldom that a battle-brother of the Imperial Fists

ever stepped onto the field of battle without a sword in his fist or at his hip, and it

was not unusual to see an Imperial Fist facing the enemy with nothing but his own

trusted blade in hand.

Pre-battle planning is not contradictory with passionate skullbashing. :P

I've switched to heresy-era Imperial Fists using the BT dex... orthodox, baby!

I would point out that the Black Templars are as far removed form the Crusade era Imperial Fists as you can get, but that discussion should be had in a different thread.

The codex IS a large book and there's nothing wrong with it here, especially when you realize that the person holding it is supposed to be huge as well :)

This is exactly what I was thinking.

It always irks me when people think of Space Marines having entirely human proportions.

Then you have to realise that a Primarch towers over the super human Space Marines.

So that book would be the size of a Emperor damned coffee table.

Very well done Legatus. I'm rather impressed by this, despite what the nay sayers believe.

It does look nice, and you've obviously put far more ability into it than i will ever have at illustration/drawing/artwork but...

Picky time

left and right thighs appear slightly different thickness (though this could be an optical illusion caused by the sword and the groin tassels?)

Armour variant: Its a bit picky of me, but he does appear to be wearing MK6/7 style armour... If he has the Codex Astartes then this is late Heresy/post Heresy so feasibly possible that he'd be in Mk7, but I always imagine that Primarchs woudl be plenty comfortable in the battle-plate that had served them through the fighting... Maybe something a little more archaic (Mk 3 or 4 legs?, Mk3 style extra-armoured vambraces?

but thats just me. still a damn good picture.

You may be right about the thighs, I probably should have gotten some more input from someone less focused on the details before finally putting it up.

The armour is based on my old conversion, which was a slightly converted Calgar, with the head of Corbulo, a second aquila shoulder instead of the raised arm, and an extra aquila on the leg. Judging by the knee guard it is probably an MK6 armour (no separate knee pads). I hadn't given it much thought, but the Codex was presented at the end of the Scouring, so if he had not upgraded to a MK6 or MK7 armour by the end of the Crusade, then this would have been the next best opportunity to do so, while starting over as the Chapter Master of his now single Chapter.

Archived