Contemptor Pattern Dreadnought

Thylacine

Hi.

I am thinking of using the rules for the Contemptor Dreadnought this weekend so that I can dust off my OOP RT dreads and put them on the table.

The rules for the Contemptor don't see too OTT but I notice that it has no transport option, so can I put it in a DP or not, I was thinking of putting it in a Lucius Pattern DP as a way of negating a Blood Angles players Dreadnought and Stormravern combination. The guy has a nasty habit of placing a Chaplain Dreadnought with the Stormraven and dropping the Dreadnought right on my back line or wherever it will do the most damage. I was thinking of giving him a taste of his own back.

Anyhow, can a Contemptor dread use the Lucius drop pod, or any drop pod?

Anyone using that combination?

T

First of all you need to agree with your opponent that you can use FW rules.

Secondly, does the Dreadnought's entry say that you can use transports? If it doesn't then no, you can't.

Ask yourself if you would let a Space Wolf player buy a drop pod for Bjorn the Fellhanded? It doesn't say that he can't have it, but his entry doesn't give him the option to chose a transport.

Same thing.

Yes I agree. As all the other FW dread entries specify a transport option (drop pod) while the Contemptor doesn't, I guess the Contemptor must walk :HQ:.

Secondly, does the Dreadnought's entry say that you can use transports? If it doesn't then no, you can't.

Ask yourself if you would let a Space Wolf player buy a drop pod for Bjorn the Fellhanded? It doesn't say that he can't have it, but his entry doesn't give him the option to chose a transport.

Same thing.

Didn't they FAQ that?

Same thing.

Didn't they FAQ that?

Nope.

Do you?

There's no mention of this any more in any of the book that I can find.

The only official rules set is the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook. The Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook only cedes authority to the Codexes. Forge World rules are never given any official authority by rulebook or codex. Everything not in the rulebook or a codex is "unofficial" and only permitted by agreement of both players.

Gee this has gone off track fast. All the rule books are legal just like the supplements; CoD, Planetstrike etc. Sometimes it may be worthwhile (if you ever want to game again) to tell your opponent beforehand that your running X model under X rules set. Tournament organisers often will limit what can be used from the IA books.

All I was asking is if you think that the combination of Contemptor Dreadnought and Lucius Drop Pod is over the top. The Contemptor is a test set of rules and nothing there is OTT for the price and although the Contemptor does not have a transport option (may have just of been left out of the test rules because on one thought it was necessary to mention transport options) the rules for the Lucius DP say. "A Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport choice for any type of Space Marine Dreadnought in Space Marine, Dark Angel, Black Templar, Space Wolf and Blood Angels Armies, please refer to the appropriate codex."

So the option is there to use it for the Contemptor.

Now has anyone used this combination?

T

Gee this has gone off track fast. All the rule books are legal just like the supplements; CoD, Planetstrike etc. Sometimes it may be worthwhile (if you ever want to game again) to tell your opponent beforehand that your running X model under X rules set. Tournament organisers often will limit what can be used from the IA books.

All I was asking is if you think that the combination of Contemptor Dreadnought and Lucius Drop Pod is over the top. The Contemptor is a test set of rules and nothing there is OTT for the price and although the Contemptor does not have a transport option (may have just of been left out of the test rules because on one thought it was necessary to mention transport options) the rules for the Lucius DP say. "A Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport choice for any type of Space Marine Dreadnought in Space Marine, Dark Angel, Black Templar, Space Wolf and Blood Angels Armies, please refer to the appropriate codex."

Now has anyone used this combination?

T

Actually I don't think it's far off topic, really. Let me reiterate why :

"A Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport choice for any type of Space Marine Dreadnought in Space Marine, Dark Angel, Black Templar, Space Wolf and Blood Angels Armies, please refer to the appropriate codex."

As with so many other sources, they always point back "to the codex" or "to the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook". Now is the Luciuc-pattern Drop Pod in the Codex? No, it's an a Forge World publication. Strictly RAW, can you use it? No, it's not a Drop Pod in "the appropriate codex". As was pointed out by Frosty above - The Contemptor and the Lucius are both Forge World rules (ie. both are unofficial) and both are already outside the +Official Rules+ section of the forum. The only rule that matters at this juncture is "The Most Important Rule" found in the Warhammer 40,000 Rulebook on Pg.2. ie. Ask your opponent's permission and go wild if he agrees. As for Over The Top, that's not the purpose of the +Official Rules+ section.

But, to answer your question - no, I don't think a Contemptor in a Lucius Drop Pod is more Ott than a Furioso with Blood Claws in a Lucius.

Gee this has gone off track fast.

All I was asking is if you think that the combination of Contemptor Dreadnought and Lucius Drop Pod is over the top.

Sorry to be pedantic, but what you really asked was:

The rules for the Contemptor don't see too OTT but I notice that it has no transport option, so can I put it in a DP or not[...]?

Anyhow, can a Contemptor dread use the Lucius drop pod, or any drop pod?

Anyone using that combination?

T

So, can you put it in a DP? No you can't. As Isiah pointed out:

As all the other FW dread entries specify a transport option (drop pod) while the Contemptor doesn't, I guess the Contemptor must walk :).

So, it seems to me fairly cut and dried. Had they wanted to give the Contemptor a transport option, they would have given it one.

I'll bring up Bjorn the Fellhanded again. If they had wanted him to have a transport option, he would have been given one.

"A Dreadnought Drop Pod is a dedicated transport choice for any type of Space Marine Dreadnought in Space Marine, Dark Angel, Black Templar, Space Wolf and Blood Angels Armies, please refer to the appropriate codex."

T

Is the Contemptor in any of those codices? If not, then it hardly falls under the:

As that clearly refers to the codex for the relevant army.

Also, it refers to the transport choice which the relevant dreadnought has.

So, once again, does the Contemptor or Bjorn have a transport option? No, so the Lucius Drop Pod is not an option for either of them.

Do you?

There's no mention of this any more in any of the book that I can find.

I might be misremembering, but I think it's in the beginning of one or more of the IA books that they are all experimental rules and you should get permission from your opponent first or at least tell him.

I'll try to remember to look it up when I get home.

I had asked this question of FW via email and got this response:

"We will be modifying the Lucius Drop Pod rules for use with the

Contemptors."

I suspect this means the updated rules appearing in the new Apoc book.

I had asked this question of FW via email and got this response:

"We will be modifying the Lucius Drop Pod rules for use with the

Contemptors."

I suspect this means the updated rules appearing in the new Apoc book.

I can't say this surprises me. I'm guessing that it was an oversight that the drop pod wasn't an option for it.

Although editing a PDF file isn't particularly hard, so I don't see why they don't just add it in...

LPetersson: The experimental rules bit is only in the old ones. The new ones no longer have it.

Really? I forgot to check my own books but I'll try to do it over the weekend...

is the fleet rule on the dreadnought enough to smash your opponents morale with dual CC/HF fists anyway? Alas, i will be purchasing a lucius pattern drop pod next month to 'turn my frown upside down' when faced against somebody else who decides to do the same to me!

The game is over and the results are in. One of my old RT dreads went into action on Saturday using the Contemptor rules and a Lucicus pattern Drop Pod. The Drop Pod landed where it was supposed to, the dread came out and assaulted a Rhino and destroyed it. Then the Contemptor fell to a Las-cannons shot on the rear armour and that was the end of that. BTW the dread was running twin CCW/SB combination. It or another of the RT dreads will make an appearance in two weeks time.

Feedback from the opponent was good he thought that the combination was expensive but that having a dread that can assault out of a DP and not sit around waiting to be shot up, was how dreads and DP's should work. Still your dread sits in the middle of the opposition army and is open to being shot to bits. The opponent liked the idea so much that he is ordering a dread and BP this week!

I think that the price is a little high but rules wise nothing is to over the top.

Archived