Stormravens on parade

Taranis

Hi everybody.

I am in the middle of assembling my own Stormraven and beginning to have second thoughts about the final result. It isn't the most gracious vehicle when assembled strictly by the instructions provided. :)

What I would like this tread to become is a collection of both pictures and "recipes" on how to get the best results with the Stormraven kit.

Are there paint schemes that help it becoming less the ugly duckling?

Only painting and modelling please. Pictures, links, painting, etc.

What have you made, what have you seen, where, why and how?

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently painting one for my LPC vow

LPC WIP

Fair warning, I think a few of the numbered parts on the instructs are wrong (confusing the left part for the right one).

As far as modeling goes, you have a few options:

If you gonna use the hurricane bolters (or making heavy use of magnets to use all the options like I did), you're not just stuck putting them on the side door panels. If you fiddle with them you can get them under the wing.

I've seen folks move around the servitor turret. A buddy of mine punched a hole on the under side of hid stormraven and put the servitor cockpit there. Since the servitor looked silly upside down, he painted the glass the same color as the ship hull and added a radar dish part to act as his sensor (he plugged the hole on the top with the large hatch doors that come on the rhinos).

If you hate the servitor cockpit, consider leaving it off and somehow mounting the turrets under the wing. If you have extra rhino hatches, just use you hobby knife to cut off the lip on the hole on top of the stormraven and cover with the hatches.

And whatever you do, clean the INSIDE of the winsheilds before you glue them down. You don't want to be stuck with a figerprint you can't wipe off.

See my link to last year's LPC. I did a DC Stormraven, DC Dread and Assault Terminator Squad w/TDA Reclusiarch as my vow.

My biggest recommendation, which should be obvious, is to dry-fit each section together before gluing. Structurally, I say mount the turret guns under the nose. As far as realism goes, just imagine the pilot strafes the LZ with those guns just before the front assault ramp slams down and death disembarks. Just like any assault vehicle in today's military.

Thanks mates. This is exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for.

@bushman101. Mine is part of my LPC vow too. I definitely will be magnetizeing the weapons options. The repositioning of the turret is a great advice I will be testing to se what I might prefer. I have plenty of vehicle bits. :)

Great idea with the jumpmaster! I think I will put a few sniper scouts on duty. Great inspiration. Thanks. ;)

@Sanguinarian. Great idea. The A10 gun style mounting sounds interesting. Back to the lab.

Any inputs regarding paint schemes? I have heard lots of stripes makes you look leaner/slimmer but only if applied correct.

Any good BA colour schemes or advice regarding which part should be darker than ?

If you gonna use the hurricane bolters (or making heavy use of magnets to use all the options like I did), you're not just stuck putting them on the side door panels. If you fiddle with them you can get them under the wing.

I'd not thought of that. Might give that a go as I'm having trouble with the magnets on the doors. Might just glue the rhino doors in place and put the hurricanes under the wings on magnets when needed.

Still dryfitting mine and fiddling around.

My biggest complaint is the servitor turret which is ugly as all get out. My working idea is to just replace it with a FW razorback turret w/ TLLCs. That looks way better in my opinion and is an easy swap. If I can rig up something I like under the chin that doesn't interfere with the landing gear I'll likely go with that instead though.

If I can get rid of the need for a top turret entirely I'll also lose the top air intake which is way too big and doesn't really make sense. Where is the air going? Not to the engines as far as I can tell.

Both of those done and I think you have a much cleaner model.

I just completed assembly on my Stormraven (minus a smidgeon of filing on some greenstuff patch that cam out rough once dry :P)

I've found that the only way to really distinctly 'fix' the Stormraven is to add Chapterhouse's TRU scale conversion kit. It adds another 4" to the hull and gives it a much more 'thunderhawk in your face' look. I've looked that kit over and over and finally took the plunge and bought it. I couldn't be happier. Not only was the kit amazing quality, but the fitment was second to none barring my eff up when mocking it all up and gluing it together. Be warned though, resin is INSANELY brittle and difficult to work with. The kit requires a great deal of skill to glue together properly and a load of patience/hobbying-know-how.

With that said, I also magnetized mine so that it could be disassembled for transfer via my custom/homemade case/foam system. Weapons options were also magnetized. In total there is close to 60 magnets in this bird. Adds to the weight a bit, but absolutely worth it in my opinion.

Here's pics for those interested in the kit and magnetizing.

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0826.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0827.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0828.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0831.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0832.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0833.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0824.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0823.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0811.jpg

http://evicerator.com/evicerator/pictures/warhammer/2011wipthread/bloodangels/stormraven/DSC_0810.jpg

hope that helps with anyone on the fence about getting that kit and using it.

Cheers!

Wow, I've been thinking about whether or not to but a Stormraven and the kit from Chapterhouse studios for a while now. I've been scouring the internet for more pictures of it built other than the few on their site and not had much luck, but after seeing these pictures i am seriously considering buying one now. I must admit that strangely enough the picture of it from the rear looks the best.

One question though, how good is the clamp that comes with the kit, do you think that it would be easy to magnetise it so that it could actually hold a dread?

Looking forward to seeing this painted up!

Wow, I've been thinking about whether or not to but a Stormraven and the kit from Chapterhouse studios for a while now. I've been scouring the internet for more pictures of it built other than the few on their site and not had much luck, but after seeing these pictures i am seriously considering buying one now. I must admit that strangely enough the picture of it from the rear looks the best.

One question though, how good is the clamp that comes with the kit, do you think that it would be easy to magnetise it so that it could actually hold a dread?

Looking forward to seeing this painted up!

the clamp system... is flimsy looking. Waaaay to small to add a big enough magnet to support a dread (too small, really, for a 3mm magnet to be honest.) I don't plan to add the clamp as the weight of the stormraven with a dread would be absurd. I might put the clamp on for looks, but probably not. I've though about adding a 1"x1"x .5" magnet inside the tail section (above where the clamp would go.) and then hiding a similar magnet inside a dread. The downside I see to that is the pull force possible breaking the flimsy clamp as it is sandwiched between the tail and dread. Again, the weight distribution would be pretty lopsided towards the back. Plus I have my dread in "in your face" poses, and they'd look wierd clamped to an SRaven.

I've been working on the same kit, and have been getting trouble attaching the top panel of the extension. It just seems too long for me... And I'm dreading sawing it down because of the resin dust. If it's only off by a few millimeters, should I file it or saw it?

Post a pic, I am not understanding your question. I had no fitment problems with regards to assembly, but with resin, anything is possible. Could be warped? Snap a pic (or two), I'd like to help.

Can it fit on the table with a standard 12" move?

it's just under 12" in length if that is what you're referring to?

Well that's good to know about the clamp. I must admit I had an idea of trying to make a dread which was a bit folded up to mount under it, kinda like the battle-suits you get with the manta, but if it wont easily work never mind. I still think I will pick up one or two of these once I've what I am already working on.

Cheers

Am I the only one that honestly likes the Storm Raven and dislikes the TRU kit? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope. ;) I'm not keen on the turret and vent on the top, but otherwise I quite like the squashed up Thunderhawk profile of the Stormraven. My personal opinion of the Chapterhouse kit is I think it leaves the engines and wings sitting too far forward. Though clever work with the magnets, that should make it easier to shift that badboy around. :D

I've done my SR with some army painter spray and then careful work with inks to line and add depth.

Took a look at your WIP. Great progress. I especially found the magnetizeing of the wings useful. I too use armypainter. :)

I don't like the chapter house raven. it looks more like a bus with wings than a flyer.

To each their own. I like the extended look as it seems more like it would actually fly and be aerodynamically sound than the 'scrunched' up original. Take that into account with the fact that it's cargo is 12 marines and a dreadnought and ... well... that's my reasoning.

The passenger compartment in the storm raven is actually slightly larger than that in a rhino. Combined with the fact that dreadnoughts are transported beneath the tail, not in with the passengers, and the dimensions suddenly fit.

Personally I think the raven is fine, not awesome, but fine. It looks like a gunship, not an aeroplane, and that is how it is used on the tabletop. I would have prefered a smaller turret and overall lower profile, but after seeing it in the plastics I like what we've got.

I'm not saying you shouldn't get the extension kit, if that what floats your boat: go for it! But in my oppinion it is far too long. Had it been half the lenght, I might've been tempted too.

Just whatever you do, don't do this!

What shan't we do? Paint it glow-in-the-dark yellow!?! :D ;) :eek

With that said, I 2nd the notion that "to each their own" but remember that by increasing the length of the passenger compartment and making it appear more "aerodynamic" or "flyable" means that we're assuming 21st Century technology holds water to the 401st Century??? Not to mention you're creating a more visible target. If you really want to get technical and "fit" 12 infantry inside then take a look down at your feet. Do you see any 12mm (or whatever size they are) round bases attached? Take the bases off of your guys and they fit in any vehicle they're supposed to. ;)

Archived